My Surf wobbles-whats wrong?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• My Surf wobbles-whats wrong?

My car was finally ready for collection, after driving it home and during the next day I concluded it drives poorly. There is a firm tugging felt through the wheel from around 45-65mph. Especially noticable if the wheel is turned slightly. I took it to a tyre place who had to add 200g to two wheels, 120 anothe and 50g the last in order to balance them. I thought this would sort it out but the wobble is still there. I have tried swapping the wheels back to front. They are 16's with 265 Goodrich A/T tyres almost new. The car also vibrates at higher speeds.

What do you think?

Originally posted by RobF
    My car was finally ready for collection, after driving it home and during the next day I concluded it drives poorly. There is a firm tugging felt through the wheel from around 45-65mph. Especially noticable if the wheel is turned slightly. I took it to a tyre place who had to add 200g to two wheels, 120 anothe and 50g the last in order to balance them. I thought this would sort it out but the wobble is still there. I have tried swapping the wheels back to front. They are 16's with 265 Goodrich A/T tyres almost new. The car also vibrates at higher speeds.

What do you think?
    IMO I think that your surf may have stood for a long time without turning a wheel, and they will have gone out of shape

Keith
    I never ever apologise for anything. http://www.onestopshopformultimedia.com/smile.gif If you dont like it I am sorry but thats the way I am

Comment

Balancing is normally the issue but you've had that done.

Look for play in the steering at the wheels, mine had loose wheel bearings. My mechanic said that the Jap's don't appear to bother checking them from his experience - Probably talking out of his arse :-) but mine were loose.

From there it is play in the steering components and some other suggestions have been worn suspension which can also cause wobble.

Another trail of thought is to check the wheels and tyres for any warping. Jack the front up and spin the wheels and see if there is distortion to the tyres. The tyre fitters wont have seen it 'cause they have to put a cover over the wheel when balancing for safety. Have seen some pics on the forum of some seriously warped tyres.

Rich.

P.S. This should really be in the technical section. But hey, your new so we'll let you off Welcome!
      If life's an uphill struggle then downhill from now on can't be that bad?!

Comment

Look at how the motor sits, its slightly sitting down at the back end then it could be the rear suspension is shot could cause wobble.
        Say not always what you know, but always know what you say.

My 4x4
        My choice
        Back off

Comment

Just to re-inforce Richs point about wheel bearings, when working on the suspension on the front of mine just after arriving in U.K I was amazed how loose they were and I was told also that it is not uncommon on imports. So I would agree this would be a good place to start. The job of adjusting the bearings is a simple one, so Good luck.
          Paul
          Paul.

Comment

i still think it's tyres, either theyve become warped, and no amount of balancing will correct it, or they were not balanced on a lug-centric machine , did you watch them balance the wheels, did they use a centre adapter (through the centre of the wheel-incorrect) or did the usey a lug adapter (through the stud holes-correct)
            [COLOR=red]Simon [/COLOR] '91 2.4td ssr-x

Comment

Thanks

Thanks for the replies so far, The back of the car sits well so shocks/springs should be good. I did not notice what was used to hold the wheel on the balancer, they were placed on and off quickly though.

Comment

Working...
              X