4WD and Hilux Pickups

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

4wd

Can you engage / disengage 4WD while driving along, and is there a speed limit for doing it. I have an auto 3rd gen 3 litre
    Thanks

Graham

Comment

Nicely

Once you leave tar: Stop your truck, get out, turn the centre of the diff forward (i think) to the LOCKED position. Get back in the cab, engage 4WD (either high or low) and then proceed. Once your diffs are locked you can go backwards and forwards between 4wd and 2wd as you see fit. Once you get back on tar turn the locking diff back to free.

NB: Make sure you do both sides of the vehicle or you'll bugger something up.
      @africa4x4cafe
      [url]www.africa4x4cafe.com[/url]

Comment

Originally posted by gmac11240
        Can you engage / disengage 4WD while driving along, and is there a speed limit for doing it. I have an auto 3rd gen 3 litre
        Thanks

Graham
        Its about 50mph in H range, 5mph or stopped for L range.
        4x4toys.co.uk - Keeping you on and off the road...

Comment

OK, silly question perhaps, but what if I put an autolocker on the front, and freewheel hubs for on the road? wouldn't that be a cheaper option?

And what about autolockers on the back, surely on the back they wouldn't have the same impact on the road manners as on the front?

I really think the whole 2nd gen / 3rd gen / 2wd / 4wd / tranfer box / difflock / autolocker / airlocker / freewheel hub thing needs a good definitive essay writing and putting in the mods thread as a sticky, so we can reffer people to it, same as the excellent one on Veg oil.

Tony?

p.s. Tony, what would you estimate as the cost for fitting front and rear difflocks and onboard air to a 2nd gen, parts and fitting by your good self. Not interested for this truck but might be looking at a 3ltr 2nd gen soon and if so will get some modding done before parting with the 2.4.

Dave

Comment

see red!

Originally posted by Medieval Dave
            OK, silly question perhaps, but what if I put an autolocker on the front, and freewheel hubs for on the road? wouldn't that be a cheaper option?

Yeah, thats the best option, having the manual hubs also give other benefts

And what about autolockers on the back, surely on the back they wouldn't have the same impact on the road manners as on the front?

No, just the noise and a bit unpredicable if your going quick on slippery roads

I really think the whole 2nd gen / 3rd gen / 2wd / 4wd / tranfer box / difflock / autolocker / airlocker / freewheel hub thing needs a good definitive essay writing and putting in the mods thread as a sticky, so we can reffer people to it, same as the excellent one on Veg oil.

to much of the locker issues are subjective, there is no optimum setup for every truck, and its alot down to personal opinions on products, which just leads to argueing

Tony?

p.s. Tony, what would you estimate as the cost for fitting front and rear difflocks and onboard air to a 2nd gen, parts and fitting by your good self. Not interested for this truck but might be looking at a 3ltr 2nd gen soon and if so will get some modding done before parting with the 2.4.

I'll get back to you on that, after I've fitted Lindas ARB and worked out how long it takes.

Dave

Comment

so, Linda's bullied you into fitting it on hers??

thought that was for project!
              nee nar nee nar, i'm a fire engine!

Comment

Originally posted by da SLUG man
                so, Linda's bullied you into fitting it on hers??

thought that was for project!
                Nah, she brought it, it was aways for her truck. My truck can't afford an ARB! if its lucky I'll weld the diffs up!

Comment

quote of the day... bender just said

"who knew a cooler could make a handy wang coffin?"

nowt to do with thread, but futurama's great for any occasion!
                  nee nar nee nar, i'm a fire engine!

Comment

Originally posted by da SLUG man
                    quote of the day... bender just said

"who knew a cooler could make a handy wang coffin?"

nowt to do with thread, but futurama's great for any occasion!
                    hell yeah!

Bite my shiny metal ass!!!!

Comment

Originally posted by TonyN
                      hell yeah!

Bite my shiny metal ass!!!!

I'll 2nd or 3rd that
                      Rick...Member of 1st Gen club. ONE LIFE ... GET ONE !!

Comment

Working...
                      X