3 way cigar lighter - warning

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 3 way cigar lighter - warning

I bought one of them 3 way cigarette lighter adaptors off ebay, thinking that it would be a great idea to power my laptop ( I use a power adaptor designed for the purpose), and the 7" vga monitor that I use to display my GPS (minimal power drain).

Funny smell in the truck today, pulled into services and unplugged it all. The plug that goes from the adaptor into the standard cigarette lighter had melted!!!

Damned Chinese! Anyone know a safe way of connecting gubbins up??

Cheers

Rob G

Originally posted by wibblywobbly
    I bought one of them 3 way cigarette lighter adaptors off ebay, thinking that it would be a great idea to power my laptop ( I use a power adaptor designed for the purpose), and the 7" vga monitor that I use to display my GPS (minimal power drain).

Funny smell in the truck today, pulled into services and unplugged it all. The plug that goes from the adaptor into the standard cigarette lighter had melted!!!

Cheers

Rob G
    Give up smoking and plug in direct

Ken
    [FONT=Franklin Gothic Medium][B][I][SIZE=3]When the going gets tough - Get out !!![/SIZE][/I][/B][/FONT]

Comment

You have a serious habit if you smoke three way cigars.

Seriously though, you are better off tapping into the wirirng behind the cigar lighter and getting a regulated PSU. From there you can run your adaptors for your various gubbins.

I hope that makes sense

Kitesurf (wondering why I didn't get the training job) Phil.
      It's only a hobby!

Comment

If it was on one of those red and black plugs just cut it off and start a fresh...as Phil says pick up a feed from under the dash its safer but dont forget to put a fuse in the line and dont just rely on the fuse on the units....
        Im not a gynacologist but ill have a look

Comment

Originally posted by wibblywobbly

Cheers

Rob G
          I brought a fused feed in direct from the battery and fed a small six way fusebox behind the glovebox, then wired the 4 way sockets from that, also leaves me with spare fused supplies for other gadgets (of which there are many)
          Laugh!!! I nearly bought my own beer.

Paul

Comment

Working...
          X