my surf smokes a bit

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• my surf smokes a bit

driving with the rear window down yesterday whilst roads were quiet I found that on acceleration quite a lot of smoke is evident. I have not put any fuel treatments in since buying her (2 months ago) and still have the EGR in its un modded state.

Should I be putting some fuel system cleaner thru the tank? If so whats the reccommendation please.

Ta

Al.
    I used to have a surf me!

smoke

dont forget shes an oil burner and will put out some smoke under acceleration . as long as its not like a smoke screen from a bond movie and its not white smoke i wouldnt worry. but you can run a redex or injector cleaner through the system .
    black n tan
    black n tan
    yes i am a dobermann man

Comment

Originally posted by slydog
      dont forget shes an oil burner and will put out some smoke under acceleration . as long as its not like a smoke screen from a bond movie and its not white smoke i wouldnt worry. but you can run a redex or injector cleaner through the system .

wots wrong with white smoke ?
      white with a tinge of blue i thought was normal ?
      zacco

Comment

white

white smoke can indicate either a head or headgasket problem also a turbo problem black is normal blue indicates oil burning these are only possibles but more than likley
        Last edited by slydog; 26 December 2005, 08:28.
        black n tan
        black n tan
        yes i am a dobermann man

Comment

Mine is "healthy smoke" its blackish so is probably just down to mucky injectors as its a bit more smokey than I would like.

I have lukt on t'internet and the array of diesel injector cleaning products is bewildering!

I will try redex or valvoline or wynns or one of the other million products out there. I have noticed many owners associate loss of power with smoke, again due to the clogging of injectors. As I have no idea how anyone elses 2.4 "pulls" I do not know if I am down on power.

Al.

Comment

This is what I use now and then. Take no notice of the instructions on the bottle, just pour the whole lot in the tank and you should feel the difference after about 5 miles, I did.
            Attached Files

Comment

You can get Redex diesel injector cleaner from Halfrauds. I buy the four treatment bottle, and stick the lot in one go. Take it up the motorway or duel carridgeway and give it a good hammering. That should clean your injectors. Mine smokes a bit when you give it some stick, they all do.

Comment

Thanx guyz. I will do that today. Local Motor world ought to sell it. And I have a Duel carrigeway and a ****** big hill combined just up the road from me.

You say you felt the difference in 5 miles Vince? What was the change? more power, less smoke?

Al.

Comment

Hell yeah! More get up and go AND less smoke. I poured the large bottle of redex in on top of about £10 worth of diesel that was already in the tank to give the injectors a good cleanout.

Comment

Originally posted by BUSHWHACKER
                    Hell yeah! More get up and go AND less smoke. I poured the large bottle of redex in on top of about £10 worth of diesel that was already in the tank to give the injectors a good cleanout.
                    good clean out
                    thats wot i need after all the xmas excess
                    morning vince i'm about to get me coat on and start on finishing the surf ready for tommorow morning
                    freezing up here but no SNOW (bugger)
                    Surf.gone but not forgottendisco now gone aswell

Comment

Yup, same problem with mine - and me A bit too much smoke from me Smurf and too much Xmas excess in me Just off to Halfrauds for me dose of cleaner, then off to the pub for my cleaner

Cheers, Nick
                      "The force will be with you, always!"

Comment

Working...
                      X