Shutting the engine off

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Shutting the engine off

How long do you leave your engine running, when you come to the end of your journey and you are going to switch the engine off?
    I have always been told that with turbo'd engines that you shouldn't switch off immediately as this can damage the turbo - is this correct?
    And if so, how long do you leave it running?

Cheers

Kiwi

leave it ticking over for a couple of minutes especially after thrashing it down the motorway let the turbo wind down for oil to circulate otherwise you'll dry out the bearings on turbo. turbo timers automatically do this after ignition is turned off.
    hope this helps
    (\__/)
    (='.'=) SQUIRREL MUNCHER GRRRRRRR
    (")_(")

Comment

Kiwi,
      The advice I have been given is "it all depends on what work your engine has just done") not a lot of help I know, but in reality all you need to do is let the Turbo run down to tick over speed, so poodleing around town should take 10 seconds or so, screaming along the motorway and stopping quickly at the services can take 45 seconds or so. Turbo timers are common on imports, with times up to 30 minutes, but that timing is excessive to say the least. Just a pause before you kill the engine on most use will give time for everything to settle and thus extend the life of the expensive bits. (Turbo timers were initially aimed at Skylines and similar which are a bit different in usage to Surfs!!!!!!!!!....I hope)
      Paul
      Paul.

Comment

Thanks guys, its nice to know that I haven't been a complete dingus. When we stop anywhere and everyone else jumps out, and I'm still sitting there letting her tick over - well friends are starting to think I'm obsessive.

Cheers

Kiwi

Comment

Originally posted by Kiwi
          Thanks guys, its nice to know that I haven't been a complete dingus. When we stop anywhere and everyone else jumps out, and I'm still sitting there letting her tick over - well friends are starting to think I'm obsessive.

Cheers

Kiwi
          Its your surf you have every right to be obsessive. Also some one has to let down the rear window for the shopping to be taken out and them shut again. so by the time thats done the turbo is cool and the shopping has beenput away Not so daft now are we

sumo.
          If the puddles to deep..LEARN TO SCUBA.

Comment

My turbo light is on most of the time, even in urban situations, so is my use of the loud pedalexcessive?
            It's only a hobby!

Comment

Working...
            X