Web sites

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Web sites

A question for anyone that uses Ireland on Line as there ISP. Can I set up a site and put my own pics on it for linking to this (and other) sites?

As part of my subscription to IOL I have free webspace but I dont know how much.
    And my knowledge of website design is zero...

Cheers

Originally posted by Cmar
    A question for anyone that uses Ireland on Line as there ISP. Can I set up a site and put my own pics on it for linking to this (and other) sites?

As part of my subscription to IOL I have free webspace but I dont know how much.
    And my knowledge of website design is zero...

Cheers
    to use your own free webspace with your isp, you'll need a webdesign program, and an ftp program(file transfer protocol), the easiest one for the beginner which does both is 'microsoft frontpage', it will give you a template to follow, and assist you in publishing to the web, you'll need to enter info such as host address (e.g. fttp://btinternet.com)
    then your own site address (usually your e-mail name)
    then your password (logon password)..
    it is very easy once you do it a few times., 'front page' even allows you to 'steal' websites by allowing you you edit them via microsoft explorer, change them as you want, then save, then publish to your address.
    [COLOR=red]Simon [/COLOR] '91 2.4td ssr-x

Comment

Cheers,

Is Frontpage bundled as part of Windows?

I would like to have something like a history of my cars/4x4's and hobbies etc. Maybe a page for each...
      This is all new to me!

Comment

Cheers,

I would like to have something like a history of my cars/4x4's and hobbies etc. Maybe a page for each...
        This is all new to me!
        i don't think it is, i 'borrowed' my copy from 'office 2000' which costs something rediculous like £200, needless to say i didn't buy it, 'microsoft frontpage' on it's own is about £70, just saw an original copy on ebay for £2.00 http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/ws/eBayISAPI.d...3&category=184
        Last edited by stara; 2 September 2003, 18:35.
        [COLOR=red]Simon [/COLOR] '91 2.4td ssr-x

Comment

Originally posted by stara
          i don't think it is, i 'borrowed' my copy from 'office 2000' which costs something rediculous like £200, needless to say i didn't buy it, 'microsoft frontpage' on it's own is about £70, just saw an original copy on ebay for £2.00 http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/ws/eBayISAPI.d...3&category=184
          I'm sure we can sort something out for you Ciaran. Check your PM
          Maurice
          Hilux Surf FAQ at www.hiluxsurf.eu

Comment

Cheers,

This is all new to me!
            Ciaran.
            You get Frontpage express with Windows but it's a pile of pooh. Frontpage comes only as part of Office Professional.

You can get some pretty nice web authoring programs out there so have a look around, however for about 20 quid you could get a book and teach yourself enough HTML/XHTML to do a decent enough job with a basic text editor and still have more control of the format than you would get with Frontpage. Frontpage just makes it easy and quick (I use it cos I'm lazy) but then I got it on my Office PC so it didn't cost me a penny.

FTP is built into Internet explorer so you don't need to get another FTP program.

Cheers

Comment

I'm gonna have to do a bit of research on this 'cause I know nothing about it. I have a copy of office 2000 at home, will that have frontpage then

Comment

I'm gonna have to do a bit of research on this 'cause I know nothing about it. I have a copy of office 2000 at home, will that have frontpage then
                There are several different versions of 2000, small business, premium, proffesional etc.

Most (if not all) do have it, check and see.

Its a wysiwyg program, or, 'What You See Is What You Get' so its fairly easy to use. Before you do any construction with it, check to see if your isp is providing support for frontpage extensions. You will need this to enable some of the more advanced functions such as page counters, forms etc.
                Maurice

Comment

Originally posted by Morr
                  There are several different versions of 2000, small business, premium, proffesional etc.

Most (if not all) do have it, check and see.

Its a wysiwyg program, or, 'What You See Is What You Get' so its fairly easy to use. Before you do any construction with it, check to see if your isp is providing support for frontpage extensions. You will need this to enable some of the more advanced functions such as page counters, forms etc.
                  Small business doesn't have it I think nor standard, only Premium and professional.

With regards to the advanced frontpage extensions, if your ISP doesn't support frontpage extensions you can always create the base layout of the page with Frontpage and then edit the HTML manually to add other things that you want but you can't do in frontpage for compatibility reasons.

Cheers

Comment

I have a funny feeling that this whole web site thing is going to keep me busy this week end. Better wash the surf when I get it back and get some nice pics for the site!!

Does frontpage have site templates? Just something to get me started. I assume once I have a site set up, I can go into it and edit it at will...?

Comment

I have a funny feeling that this whole web site thing is going to keep me busy this week end. Better wash the surf when I get it back and get some nice pics for the site!!

Does frontpage have site templates? Just something to get me started. I assume once I have a site set up, I can go into it and edit it at will...?
                      yea, plenty of templates and wizards, enough to get you started anyway.
                      Maurice

Comment

How much space do you usually get?

Comment

How much space do you usually get?
                          Do you mean with a dial-up account? if so i've no idea, haven't used free webspace for a few years now. I currently pay for my hosting, as its business related I needed better uptime/features/reliability than I was getting with the freebies.

For your uses however, whatever space your isp gives you should be more than good enough to start off with.
                          Maurice

Comment

Originally posted by Morr
                            Do you mean with a dial-up account? if so i've no idea, haven't used free webspace for a few years now. I currently pay for my hosting, as its business related I needed better uptime/features/reliability than I was getting with the freebies.

For your uses however, whatever space your isp gives you should be more than good enough to start off with.

I have a BT premium mail account which costs £1.50 a month and get 30m of web space with it.
                            Say not always what you know, but always know what you say.

My 4x4
                            My choice
                            Back off

Comment

Working...
                            X