Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Koi :Questions regarding Sticky Poll on YOUR VIEWS/CHOICE

Nigel,
    A few of points, which I would like to raise.

1- Is the poll open to all members of the forum or only those who have paid there subscriptions ?

2- Agree with members buying another car for off roading, have done it myself, although at the rate I’m going, YER BEAUTY ( her name ) will probably be a museum piece. Surely any technical help & info when off roading a Surf is or can be available on the “OFF ROAD” sections, two off. So why are we even having a poll on the matter ?

3- If they are not using a Surf or a 4Runner then they just shouldn’t be posting messages about Off Roading or anything else for that matter, unless its linked in some way, or they maybe buying one, playing the devils advocate here, ( I do have a vested interest ) the Hilux Pickup might also be included, after all that’s where the Surf originated ( me thinks ). Others including Toyota L, Suzi’s, Daaaaasooon’s etc are not Surf’s !!!!

4- Could you please explain what tech. Help & info they would offer to Surf owners driving a non Surf ??? Is it the mystery of off road driving ?? If that’s the case – behold there is no mystery to off road driving, whats needed, among other things ,is the following :

Know your car
    Learn by your mistakes
    Drive within your & the cars ability
    Don’t be rushed into any manoeuvre unless your sure you can safely complete it.
    If you can afford it take a short course or go out with someone who you think knows there way around driving off road, in your car.
    Practice Practice & Practice again & again, until your confident that you’re a capable of driving off road.

Sorry but all that doesn’t come from Forum messages.

If I may digress slightly, I remember not so long ago, driving in the OZ outback in a Toyota L – Camper, with her in doors as company, we covered 2500 kms over 4 weeks, going down river beds, through sand in desserts, etc etc etc. You soon learn to lower your tyre pressures down to 4/5 psi when driving in deep sand believe me, & then when you think “this is easy peasy” you get stuck just short of the top of a sand dune ( 30 mtrs high) in those famous Hilux Pickup words “ BUGGAR” So out comes the winch / chain & Wedgger,( anchor) and before you can say Jackaroo up pulls a Hilux Pickup 2x2 with one inside & a hound hanging over the side of the bed barking its bl**dy head off. Yep a 2x2. Pulls me out & after handing over 6 tinnys to him as a thank you,he’s gone.

So before I vote – assuming that I’m able to, why do non Surf’s owners need to pass info / tech help onto Surf owners about non Surfs, if Surf info / tech help its already here on the Forum???

or have i missed something, if so please tell me as i'm not as young as i used to be.

Sewerat Bob
    [FONT=Franklin Gothic Medium][COLOR=Magenta][SIZE=2][B]SEWERAT BOB[/B][/SIZE][/COLOR][/FONT]

[SIZE=3][COLOR=SeaGreen][I][COLOR=Lime][B]I just sit here & looks out to sea or if i'm really rushed then i just sits here & continues to look out to sea[/B][/COLOR][/I][/COLOR][/SIZE]

Originally posted by Sewerat
    Nigel,
    A few of points, which I would like to raise.

1- Is the poll open to all members of the forum or only those who have paid there subscriptions ?

2- Agree with members buying another car for off roading, have done it myself, although at the rate I’m going, YER BEAUTY ( her name ) will probably be a museum piece. Surely any technical help & info when off roading a Surf is or can be available on the “OFF ROAD” sections, two off. So why are we even having a poll on the matter ?

3- If they are not using a Surf or a 4Runner then they just shouldn’t be posting messages about Off Roading or anything else for that matter, unless its linked in some way, or they maybe buying one, playing the devils advocate here, ( I do have a vested interest ) the Hilux Pickup might also be included, after all that’s where the Surf originated ( me thinks ). Others including Toyota L, Suzi’s, Daaaaasooon’s etc are not Surf’s !!!!

4- Could you please explain what tech. Help & info they would offer to Surf owners driving a non Surf ??? Is it the mystery of off road driving ?? If that’s the case – behold there is no mystery to off road driving, whats needed, among other things ,is the following :

Know your car
    Learn by your mistakes
    If you can afford it take a short course or go out with someone who you think knows there way around driving off road, in your car.
    Practice Practice & Practice again & again, until your confident that you’re a capable of driving off road.

If I may digress slightly, I remember not so long ago, driving in the OZ outback in a Toyota L – Camper, with her in doors as company, we covered 2500 kms over 4 weeks, going down river beds, through sand in desserts, etc etc etc. You soon learn to lower your tyre pressures down to 4/5 psi when driving in deep sand believe me, & then when you think “this is easy peasy” you get stuck just short of the top of a sand dune ( 30 mtrs high) in those famous Hilux Pickup words “ BUGGAR” So out comes the winch / chain & Wedgger,( anchor) and before you can say Jackaroo up pulls a Hilux Pickup 2x2 with one inside & a hound hanging over the side of the bed barking its bl**dy head off. Yep a 2x2. Pulls me out & after handing over 6 tinnys to him as a thank you,he’s gone.

So before I vote – assuming that I’m able to, why do non Surf’s owners need to pass info / tech help onto Surf owners about non Surfs, if Surf info / tech help its already here on the Forum???

or have i missed something, if so please tell me as i'm not as young as i used to be.

Sewerat Bob
    Bob.

Just to throw my tuppenyworth in.

The Poll is open to all, some people who haven't contributed may do in the future.

Some off road tech help is not specifically Surf related - some suspension mods, engine mods etc could be applicable or of interest across a wide variety of off roaders - especially where people have modified Surfs / pickups maybe with V8s in that may also be fitted to other models. Tyres as well and Shock / spring manufacturer selection may also not be Surf specific.

Personally I think it would be usefull if kept as being useful extra discussion rather than the main reason for the board. Thats the reason for asking where people would like it put if they agree with it and also why the poll has 2 weeks to run on it so that everyone can put their point. While I think it's useful, both Nigel and I are open to opinions - the forum is after for the members and not for us - it would be a bit boring if there were only a couple of people on it. My one reason for thinking that this subject should be outside of the normal areas will be that people who are not interested don't have to view the posts or even have them clogging up the main list in General. I think the last couple of weeks of discussion on Suzis etc has got a bit out of hand but then that is always the way with something new - they aren't the only posts that I don't bother with anymore. Thats the way of the world and also helps to keep this board a fun place rather than a boring technical repository which may be very usefull but as much fun as watching paint dry except when you need some quick info.

As I said in a previous post, my choice of a serious hardcore offroader would be a Hilux Pickup (Diesel) or maybe an early BJ Landcruiser, I happen to like Toyotas but that is my choice.

Sorry got a little off topic there, anyway it's up to all of you - please vote Bob and all other members (Donators or non donators). This is a democratic place and without all the very active members it would be just another pointless website and there are enough of those. Whatever your opinions are, feel free to share them.

I think I am open enough to suggestions to think that even a Landrover Driver might be able to give me some tech info that may be appropriate - it's amazing how similar a lot of things are on motors.

Cheers

Comment

Thanks Andy.

Sewerat Bob
      [FONT=Franklin Gothic Medium][COLOR=Magenta][SIZE=2][B]SEWERAT BOB[/B][/SIZE][/COLOR][/FONT]

[SIZE=3][COLOR=SeaGreen][I][COLOR=Lime][B]I just sit here & looks out to sea or if i'm really rushed then i just sits here & continues to look out to sea[/B][/COLOR][/I][/COLOR][/SIZE]

Comment

It can be if people put it there, just need people to post it, we're having a poll cos we're finding out what people think, instead of guessing.

I'd like to think anyone interested in offroading will appreciate a offorad trip whatever the vehicle, asnd as the majority of us are surf/runner owners, most are gonna be that.

Know your car
        Learn by your mistakes

It could help people to read it though, then when it happens you are at least semi prepared, thats the sort of discussions that should be going on in the offroad section.

Good show, thats what it all about.

With respect, I think you have missed something, Who says they are going to? all we want is some where to discuss over vehicles without blocking up the Surf forums for everyone else. No one who owns a shogun, will really be in a position to give a surf owner advise, can't see then wanting to, but if they know cars in general, they may be able to help? Can't see a problem there?

The whole point of the Suzuki (or whatever) section was so suzuki owners can get help and give help to other owners without posting it in the Toy tech forum, or the general chat forum, if you arn't a Zuki owner, its not gonna affect you if its in its own place on the BB.

Sewerat Bob[/QUOTE]

Hope some of this made sence, Tony.
        4x4toys.co.uk - Keeping you on and off the road...

Comment

Thanks Tony

Sewerat Bob

Comment

Some of you need to take a chill pill. Life's too short
            [SIZE=3][FONT=verdana][COLOR=darkorange]The chickens are stealing my sanity[/COLOR][/FONT][/SIZE]

Comment

Working...
            X