I remember George Best

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• I remember George Best

From a Belfast street a football treat came to play.
    George Best was the one who sent them all the wrong way.
    He was born with it , gifted with both feet and head.
    It was all so natural the way George Best played.
    You couldn’t teach what he had . He invented it.
    You couldn’t reach him he was too fast and too fit.
    Like a wizard he conjured up an unseen trick.
    It was there in every swerve and with every flick.
    Every move was unplanned as was every shot.
    As far as football genius goes he had the lot.
    It’s the things he did with the ball when he had it.
    Its was in coming back and showing some real grit.
    He made chances from nothing while others looked on.
    Just like magic he was there and then he was gone.
    Through the legs of defenders, running rings around.
    He was George Best and when he played it was his show.
    He was a natural we were lucky to know.
    nick 1 step in front of you

Yep, then he got drunk and stayed drunk!

Comment

Originally posted by BUSHWHACKER

always one

Comment

Originally posted by koed
        always one
        some pubs have 3 or 4... but most were never great footballers.

although foulmouth john is a handy painter.
        nee nar nee nar, i'm a fire engine!

Comment

Originally posted by BUSHWHACKER
          was a top footballer
          mind you he was premier division drinker too
          Enjoying Life after Cancer
          Pops

Comment

Originally posted by da SLUG man
            some pubs have 3 or 4... but most were never great footballers.

although foulmouth john is a handy painter.

no ment always one to say something sick

Comment

I don't deny he was an absolute wizard on the football field, unlike the overpaid, my house is bigger than yours, sponsorship grovelling nonces of today, but I never have been interested in football and the only memories I have of him are the drunken ones and how he abused his fame.

Comment

don't think anyone from my generation remembers him for being a footballer...
                just like that reed fella that turned up drunk on talk shows.
                nee nar nee nar, i'm a fire engine!

Comment

made the nation into great football fans ........

...and great football fan pi$$head$
                  zacco

Comment

Car`nt understand all the fuss.Ok yeah it`s sad when someone passes away,but i don`t follow football at all.The only time i remember him in the headlines was for been a drunk and a wife beater!

Who`s the hero now
                    Stella Artois

Comment

Originally posted by koed
                      From a Belfast street a football treat came to play.
                      George Best was the one who sent them all the wrong way.
                      He was born with it , gifted with both feet and head.
                      It was all so natural the way George Best played.
                      You couldn’t teach what he had . He invented it.
                      You couldn’t reach him he was too fast and too fit.
                      Like a wizard he conjured up an unseen trick.
                      It was there in every swerve and with every flick.
                      Every move was unplanned as was every shot.
                      As far as football genius goes he had the lot.
                      It’s the things he did with the ball when he had it.
                      Its was in coming back and showing some real grit.
                      He made chances from nothing while others looked on.
                      Just like magic he was there and then he was gone.
                      Through the legs of defenders, running rings around.
                      He was George Best and when he played it was his show.
                      He was a natural we were lucky to know.
                      Nice one Nick.

Pete

Comment

Re

WHAT?

There are loads of drunks and wifebeaters in the world but not a lot of them could play football the way that Besty did!

He also did more than his fair share for charity and was known for being one of the kindest and most charitable celebrities around.

When United signed youngsters Besty literally came in to warn them of the dangers of fame, money and booze and used himself as an example!

He was never paid for it either!

George was skint because he drunk his money and GAVE thousands to charity!

I would challenge ANY of the negative posters on this thread to remain "unchanged" if they had of been plucked from the back streets of Belfast and had fame, money and georgeous women thrust upon them!

He came from abject poverty and overnight he was famous, my god how would anyone else react to this?

George Best was an alcoholic, so what!, his wife beating remains debatable and private, for someone who supposedly was so bad to his partners, why did ALL of his ex's and girlfriends etc. remained so devoted to him, right to the very end?

Most of you do not know what the hell you are talking about anyway!

Since when has being an alcoholic been a crime?

George Best paid for it with his life, and nobody more than him knew that it was ever going to be a nice end.

Typical uneducated nonsense, "lets put the guy down 'cos he drunk too much!" and supposedly "beat his wife!".

Since when did people in this awful country ever believe the press anyhow?

I cannot believe you lot, and I am disgusted with the comments here!

If you could not post something positive then why did you post at all?

Maybe you think it is acceptable to upset and hurt others by stupid and useless comments!

Shame on you!

You have your opinions and are fully entitled to think what you want but as the good book says, "let he, who is without sin, cast the first stone"!

I am not a christian but it sort of makes sense, doesn't it!

The guy is dead, he killed himself because he was an alcoholic and this is a disease, any of you who knows how nasty this disease is will realise what he suffered.

He was a genius and the most talented footballer ever to come out of N. Ireland if not the UK.

Unlike the "primadonnas" and overpaid "idiots" that play now!

He never harmed anyone apart from himself and that is to be applauded!

George Best will be a hero to me and a LOT of others!

RIP George!

Later!

Gary

Comment

gary, you feel how you like about him, thats fine but dont expect me to fall to the ground wailing and gnashing my teeth about him dying. he was a good footballer. and thats it. he wasnt cristian barnard, he wasnt alfred einstein. all he did was score goals, 30 odd years ago. the 'state funeral' would have been unjustifiable had it not been for the way he united a very devided community.
                          as for him never hurting anyone, i cant imagine watching your husband/father/son drink himself to death was an enjoyable process for any of them.
                          that my opinion, and dont you try and make me feel bad about it.
                          it's in me shed, mate.

Comment

I feel another one of them polls is about to start!

Comment

Re

chilltt

Quite simply, no one "expects" you to feel anything mate!

Your opinion is exactly that, "yours".

The thread was NOT an opinion poll, it was a member placing a piece of poetry that he wanted to share with us all.

He did not invite remarks from you or others with personal opinions that were, in most cases, insulting and pointless.

NO ONE asked for your opinion or remarks here, however much you are entitled to give it.

What you feel about anything is personal to you and you alone.

NO ONE expects you to "fall about wailing and gnashing your teeth", but you were also not expected to insult someones feelings either, or state your opinion in the wrong place at the wrong time.

I do not agree with some opinions of others but I stay quiet, out of simple respect and would never even consider remarking on a thread the way some did, especially just to cause problems.

George Best was liked by some and disliked by others, even I am not silly enough to ignore this fact.

But there is a time and a place for opinions and debate and this is certainly not one of them!

Please show a little respect and courtesy for others feelings and think about the bad feeling it may cause when you post, your opinion, just for the sake of it.

What started as a simple piece of poetry has now became an excuse for flaming each other.

Just because you are fully entitled to have an opinion doesn't make it right to give it, especially when it was not invited!

Later!

Gary

Comment

Working...
                              X