4 Runner

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 4 Runner

hi all looking to pick your brain's again please.
    Found a nice 4 runner i'm considering (also looking at pop's surf as a possible option to) i get that a 4 runner was british made etc and not import like the surf's but is there that much difference between them??? any tips would be appreciated....... cheers (one very confused guy)

Originally posted by bradley444
    hi all looking to pick your brain's again please.
    Found a nice 4 runner i'm considering (also looking at pop's surf as a possible option to) i get that a 4 runner was british made etc and not import like the surf's but is there that much difference between them??? any tips would be appreciated....... cheers (one very confused guy)

I don't think they have as many extra's.. air con elec windows cd changer etc etc etc

Have a look at what it got on it
    Paranoid? They're out to GET YOU!

Comment

Originally posted by joe112
      I don't think they have as many extra's.. air con elec windows cd changer etc etc etc

Have a look at what it got on it

thought it was something like that thank's. can't get hold of the person selling it as yet so thought i'd pester yu lot again

cheers jo

Comment

Originally posted by bradley444
        thought it was something like that thank's. can't get hold of the person selling it as yet so thought i'd pester yu lot again

cheers joE

To give you an idea.. I have a 92 2.4 td surf.

It has

Air con (front and rear seperate controls)
        5 elec windows (inc Boot)
        Elec Sunroof
        Elec Mirrors
        CD Auto changer (12 Disk)
        Elec Aerial
        Bull bar
        Spot lights
        Elec Adjustable Suspension (Hard/Soft)
        Elec 4wd
        Auto box
        5 Alloys (Aftermarket from japan)
        Wind deflectors
        Twin Batteries (aka Winterpack)
        Towbar (not usually on Jap models - fitted in Uk i think)
        Privicy Glass
        Remote Central Locking

I think thats about it - Some have a bit more.. some have a bit less

Personally I would go for a surf rather than a 4runner.. only reason is that in my opinion a surf will be in better condition.. a 10yr old 4runner in this country will have had 10 winters worth of gritting on the underside.. Is more likely to have been a workhorse and will probably have over 100k on the clock..

The jap equivilent will have had a couple or years gritting tops (providing your not buying a fresh import) will have done half as many miles and will generally have been better looked after.

If you do buy a 2.4... ask for either documented proof the head has been changed for the modified one.. (do a search on here) or a waranty on the head.. any good dealer should have no problem with this

This is also a good site about what to look for

http://www.showmesome.info/hilux/info/faq.htm
        Paranoid? They're out to GET YOU!

Comment

Originally posted by joe112
          To give you an idea.. I have a 92 2.4 td surf.

It has

5 elec windows (inc Boot)
          Elec Sunroof
          Elec Mirrors
          Elec Aerial
          Bull bar
          Spot lights
          Elec 4wd
          Auto box
          5 Alloys (Aftermarket from japan)
          Wind deflectors
          Towbar (not usually on Jap models - fitted in Uk i think)
          Privicy Glass
          Remote Central Locking

I think thats about it - Some have a bit more.. some have a bit less

Personally I would go for a surf rather than a 4runner.. only reason is that in my opinion a surf will be in better condition.. a 10yr old 4runner in this country will have had 10 winters worth of gritting on the underside.. Is more likely to have been a workhorse and will probably have over 100k on the clock..

The jap equivilent will have had a couple or years gritting tops (providing your not buying a fresh import) will have done half as many miles and will generally have been better looked after.

If you do buy a 2.4... ask for either documented proof the head has been changed for the modified one.. (do a search on here) or a waranty on the head.. any good dealer should have no problem with this

This is also a good site about what to look for

http://www.showmesome.info/hilux/info/faq.htm

Yeah couple of extras on there!! Excellent thanks Jo hoping to have a look at pops's Surf so sure that has been well looked after. Was curious as to why a 4 runner 3 yrs younger than the surf was the same price. Makes a bit more sense now cheers

Comment

my 4 runner has all of the surf bits shown above bar
            Elec Aerial
            Elec 4wd
            Auto box
            Privicy Glass
            Oh and I dont has the recaro seats which is no great loss

the air con is the only real difference if that sort of thing bothers you, generally the rust issue is more down to the previous owners, if they waxed it etc it should be fine, the only place I found rust on mine was at the bottom of the drivers door. The other good bit about the uk car is you dont have to argue about insurance as its not an import.

Comment

you don't have a drinks holder on a Runner
              Say not always what you know, but always know what you say.

My 4x4
              My choice
              Back off

Comment

I don't think they made the 4runners in the UK either... (not just for three years anyway)... the insurance thing is because they were officially imported by Toyota... and not 'grey' imports... (or should that be gunmetal grey - don't get me started)...

I also understood that the option list for 4runners in the UK was pretty slim.

Comment

I definately wouldn't buy a 4runner then, no-where to put me can!

Comment

I've just got an M reg 4 runner 3L manual.

It's in great condition considering it's been in the rain all this time. (is wax oiled)

It doesn't have AC where as the surf we have does, no cup holder and no rear heater again unlike the surf.

I like the surf for the extra's but I find that most second hand surfs ac doesn't work........... or if it does, shortly needs a re-gas.

Rear heater is a bit of a bugger but again, you sit in the front :-)

So it's down to the cup holder..................mmmmmm m

why have a cup holder when you can fit a keg in the back HAHAHAHA

The only serious thing I find with my 4 runner is you have to fart around with the 4wd lever via the clutch where as with the surfs, you just pull it back or forward. The electronics do the rest..................

So do you wana use the 4wd all the time?

Good luck

Comment

Originally posted by AndyLala
                      I also understood that the option list for 4runners in the UK was pretty slim.

it was that thin it made twiggy look overweight
                      Say not always what you know, but always know what you say.

My 4x4
                      My choice
                      Back off

Comment

Originally posted by sparkyaj
                        I've just got an M reg 4 runner 3L manual.

It's in great condition considering it's been in the rain all this time. (is wax oiled)

It doesn't have AC where as the surf we have does, no cup holder and no rear heater again unlike the surf.

I like the surf for the extra's but I find that most second hand surfs ac doesn't work........... or if it does, shortly needs a re-gas.

Rear heater is a bit of a bugger but again, you sit in the front :-)

So it's down to the cup holder..................mmmmmm m

why have a cup holder when you can fit a keg in the back HAHAHAHA

The only serious thing I find with my 4 runner is you have to fart around with the 4wd lever via the clutch where as with the surfs, you just pull it back or forward. The electronics do the rest..................

So do you wana use the 4wd all the time?

Good luck
                        ahem, Ihave a Surf, and my AC is fine

Rear heater is a gem, can have the blower on screen to keep it clear without cooking and use the rear one to keep temps fine that also stops cooking the cack onto the screen when the spray is drifting in the air - yuck

Take a cupholder and aim AC over it - cool soda

A-Plan, Lifesure, Tesco etc will happily cover a surf.

Trev
                        Look out Eastbourne, the Pandas are coming !

Comment

cup holder spills coffee all over the place and isn't big enough for a 500ml bottle!!
                          nee nar nee nar, i'm a fire engine!

Comment

Do the 4Runners have the idle up switch and the Hard/Normal switch for the suspension also you can get Recaro seats in some Surfs not sure you can in 4Runners

Comment

Working...
                            X