Advice for a newbie

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Advice for a newbie

Hi everyone how much info is the on this forum,fantastic!!! have been surfing around on it for a few days now and basically nearly all my questions answered. I am looking for a 3.0l 2nd to 3rd Gen Surf after christmas and would klike to pick your brains out there.
    Firstly how do you tell the difference between 2nd and 3rd gen and also any good dealers to visit in the Northwest Liverpool or Preston area + any decent mechanics.
    I have a colleague who visits the Import auctions at Liverpool docks and he has bought a few differnt imports but no surfs. He tells me that I could save a few bob going direct to the auction ( big draw back no test drive of vehicle) he assures me that there are bargains to be had at least two grand of dealer prices and the SVA is done on site there and then.
    How reliable are the Surfs (2.4l head problems aside).As bomb proof as the Hilux pick up on Top Gear I hope!! As i will be using it tow a 17ft Caravan around This country and the odd trip abroad. I am looking to spend around 8 grand.
    Cheers K 9

Originally posted by K 9
    Hi everyone how much info is the on this forum,fantastic!!! have been surfing around on it for a few days now and basically nearly all my questions answered. I am looking for a 3.0l 2nd to 3rd Gen Surf after christmas and would klike to pick your brains out there.
    Firstly how do you tell the difference between 2nd and 3rd gen and also any good dealers to visit in the Northwest Liverpool or Preston area + any decent mechanics.
    I have a colleague who visits the Import auctions at Liverpool docks and he has bought a few differnt imports but no surfs. He tells me that I could save a few bob going direct to the auction ( big draw back no test drive of vehicle) he assures me that there are bargains to be had at least two grand of dealer prices and the SVA is done on site there and then.
    How reliable are the Surfs (2.4l head problems aside).As bomb proof as the Hilux pick up on Top Gear I hope!! As i will be using it tow a 17ft Caravan around This country and the odd trip abroad. I am looking to spend around 8 grand.
    Cheers K 9

the surf is just as bomb proof as the hilux if your looking to spend around £8k you will get a good 2nd gen. it take about ten days to book a SVA and a import will not pass without some work. ie fog light

My surf tow a 6.5 m Rib no problem. if your towing a caravan don't do it in front of me
    ScubaSurf

The place to be is under the sea

Comment

hi k9, welcome to the forum, a dealer i can recommend is ste pye in skelmersdale, i think his place is called moss street garage my son bought a 93 ssr-x from him in the summer and has had no complaints with the treatment he recieved, this dealer only imports the cars in good condition, because has he say's he wants to sell them not have them decorating his garage, back in the summer he was moving five or six every week, he seems a no nonsence type of guy, as regards your towing question, i have a 92 ssr-x auto 2.4td and i have made two trips down south with my 19 foot 6 caravan on the back, on the second of these trips there were four adult males in the car three of which were xl and one medium, there was the luggage for these people in the back, and there was the loaded van, the surf performed well allthough maybe a manual would be better on hills but on the motorways it was doing a steady sixty all the time as far as i am aware i have the original head on and while she did run hot on none motorway journeys there was no signs of trouble, once i was on a clear road like a motorway the amount of air going through the rad had her running cool enough, so i was very happy
      BIG D
      ITS NICE TO BE IMPORTANT, BUT ITS MORE IMPORTANT TO BE NICE,

Comment

Cheers Boys looks like it's an after Christmas present for me a nice big juicy Surf .just got to be sweet to the missus now

Comment

Originally posted by K 9
          Cheers Boys looks like it's an after Christmas present for me a nice big juicy Surf .just got to be sweet to the missus now
          Why don't you drop Bob Hilux a PM he's in Liverpool and has a few motors for sale and will steer you in the right direction.
          Say not always what you know, but always know what you say.

My 4x4
          My choice
          Back off

Comment

Originally posted by K 9
            .........Firstly how do you tell the difference between 2nd and 3rd gen .........Cheers K 9

The '96 is the first of the 3rd generation. Main differences include

ABS
            Twin Airbags
            Rack and pinion steering
            Coil Sprung front suspension
            Greater internal room
            Lift-up tailgate (keeps electric window )
            Full/Part-time 4WD (option to use 4WD with open centre diff, ie usuable on tarmac in 4WD).
            16" Wheels
            Conventional handbrake now resides on the floor.

Whilst visually it shares much in common with the 2nd gen models, all body panels are different, whilst it sits on a Landcruiser Prado Chassis.
            Maurice
            Hilux Surf FAQ at www.hiluxsurf.eu

Comment

Near Preston

If you're looking for a Surf near Preston - there's one on the way to where I work - just outside of Freckleton. I have no idea what kind of vehicle it is but can find out more details if required.

Rob

Comment

Working...
              X