Does EGR mod give better economy?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Does EGR mod give better economy?

I was expecting my fuel costs to rise when I changed from toyota carina e 1.6 to surf 2.4 but by my calculation they have almost doubled. I have just blocked off the egr valve and am wondering if this will give better economy. I know its supposed to give the vehicle more power.

Originally posted by ferretmanabu
    I was expecting my fuel costs to rise when I changed from toyota carina e 1.6 to surf 2.4 but by my calculation they have almost doubled. I have just blocked off the egr valve and am wondering if this will give better economy. I know its supposed to give the vehicle more power.
    what you have to keep in mind is that you have doubled the engine size and almost doubled the weight as well so your bound to see a big increase in fuel.i have done the egr mod on mine and it has improved the mpg and power so i would have thought it would be the same on the 2.4
    I HAVE FOUND JESUS he was behind the sofa

Comment

Originally posted by kiowa
      what you have to keep in mind is that you have doubled the engine size and almost doubled the weight as well so your bound to see a big increase in fuel.i have done the egr mod on mine and it has improved the mpg and power so i would have thought it would be the same on the 2.4
      By how much do you think the mpg has improved?

Comment

Originally posted by steveo999
        By how much do you think the mpg has improved?
        i would say about an extra 4-5 to the gallon nothing worth worrying about realy but every bit helps so iam getting around 30-33 to the gallon now
        I HAVE FOUND JESUS he was behind the sofa

Comment

i want to do this mod as soon as. they's been some good pics on the forum as to it's location, but, i dont spend much time under the bonnet, so has any one got a pic of the location of egr thing, say from the front of the engine. that way you could cross ref, the 2 pics,
          cheers in advance
          sean

Comment

Originally posted by IIIrd
            i want to do this mod as soon as. they's been some good pics on the forum as to it's location, but, i dont spend much time under the bonnet, so has any one got a pic of the location of egr thing, say from the front of the engine. that way you could cross ref, the 2 pics,
            cheers in advance
            sean
            http://www.yotasurf.co.uk/forums/att...achmentid=2565
            try this
            https://www.facebook.com/groups/henpals/

Comment

cool, cheers for that, i'll have a look

Comment

only takes seconds to do pull off pipe bend pipe over then just put cable tie on to hold pipe bent over

Comment

Originally posted by paul jones
                  only takes seconds to do pull off pipe bend pipe over then just put cable tie on to hold pipe bent over
                  dose it have any bad effect's?
                  www.floatingpontoonsolutions.co.uk

Comment

I am a dummy when it comes to doing anything with vehicles other than driving them but even I found the egr mod thing a piece of ****. I just looked at the picture on this site for 10 seconds, went out, opened up the bonnet, pulled off the pipe and cable tied it. Simple.

I've been driving the vehicle for a bit now and I think I can feel the extra power but it might just be a placebo thing.

By the way, I know that I can't compare the fuel economy with the carina. I'm just trying to maximise my fuel efficiency. Put 10 litres of diesel in today and 1 litre veg oil. I'm just being cautious but hopefully should be putting 12 litres in with 50 of diesel at end of week. Is it the fuel filter or oil filter that I may need to change cos of the gunk the veg oil brings up?

thanks.

Comment

Originally posted by IIIrd
                      cheers in advance
                      sean
                      send me your email address and ill send you out the document i sell on ebay mate. and if you want sunvisor translation and manual as well ill bang them out to ya Andrewlee31@aol.com
                      TeaM BOFA4x4 Mac 2008

www.bofa4x4.com

Comment

Working...
                      X