Batteries

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Batteries

Hi all, when I started her tonight after sittihg for five days she was a little slow turning over, other than the cold can anyone throw any light ( batteries only 8 months old)
    Also are the glow plugs automatic or like the older truck ones or do you have to hold the key against the second position.
    thanks for all the helpful suggestions I know I am going to get
    oh good shot sir

Originally posted by Jofin0
    Hi all, when I started her tonight after sittihg for five days she was a little slow turning over, other than the cold can anyone throw any light ( batteries only 8 months old)
    Also are the glow plugs automatic or like the older truck ones or do you have to hold the key against the second position.
    oh good shot sir
    Hi,
    This is fairly common, after about 60 hours even new battery will lose charge
    I use a battery condition device which jus has two crocodile clips onto main battery overnight other end into mains (13amp supply).
    .Your question:-.to activate glow plugs turn ignition key to right but BEFORE actually moving it against spring pressure to Start, heater plugs will activate ,hopefully for quite a few seconds if really cold (and it was -7 C las night here in scotland ) and the dash light will then extinguish when you should TURN THE KEY and start engine...however if even one glow plug is dodgy or more.....Probs matey..sorry.

Peter

Comment

Originally posted by Uplander
      Hi,
      This is fairly common, after about 60 hours even new battery will lose charge
      I use a battery condition device which jus has two crocodile clips onto main battery overnight other end into mains (13amp supply).
      .Your question:-.to activate glow plugs turn ignition key to right but BEFORE actually moving it against spring pressure to Start, heater plugs will activate ,hopefully for quite a few seconds if really cold (and it was -7 C las night here in scotland ) and the dash light will then extinguish when you should TURN THE KEY and start engine...however if even one glow plug is dodgy or more.....Probs matey..sorry.

Peter
      Hi Peter, thanks for your advice/help I,ll get the glow plugs checked out

Comment

Glow plugs won't make engine turn over slowly but if defective they will make her very hard to start leading to the engine turning over slowly as the power is sapped from the batteries. I replaced all my plugs yesterday (all were dead) and this morning its minus 8, she started first turn of the key instantly as soon as the heater light had gone out.
        Let me know if you want plug type info.
        Al.
        I used to have a surf me!

Comment

Originally posted by Jofin0
          oh good shot sir
          When cold I turn the key and hold for another few seconds after the light has gone out. This seems to work for me, no problems starting then even in this weather.

Comment

Originally posted by phoebelala
            Glow plugs won't make engine turn over slowly but if defective they will make her very hard to start leading to the engine turning over slowly as the power is sapped from the batteries. I replaced all my plugs yesterday (all were dead) and this morning its minus 8, she started first turn of the key instantly as soon as the heater light had gone out.
            Let me know if you want plug type info.
            Al.
            Hi, I would certainly like the glow plug type info! Im sure mine need changing
            (as well as the injectors) Regards Ian
            Too young to die and too old to give a toss

Comment

Hi,
              Ngky715r

Fitted yesterday and the car is like a new one. all 4 were dead new ones glow nice bright cherry red (checked them before fitting)

Al.
              I used to have a surf me!

Comment

Hi,
                Ngky715r

Fitted yesterday and the car is like a new one. all 4 were dead new ones glow nice bright cherry red (checked them before fitting)

Al.
                When I turn on the ignition the glow plug light stays on for maybe one-two seconds then goes out. Then when I turn the key against the sprin nothing happens (no glow plug light) is this right or should I get them checked out? wheres that blinking drummer gone

Comment

Hi,
                  Ngky715r

Al.
                  When I turn on the ignition the glow plug light stays on for maybe one-two seconds then goes out. Then when I turn the key against the spring nothing happens (no glow plug light) is this right or should I get them checked out? wheres that blinking drummer gone???

Comment

In my surf, I have to wait for about ten secons before the car makes a beep tone. Is this correct or should I be looking for a light?

Comment

yup, that is right. When it's really cold, I switch the ignition on, wait for the beep, switch off and on again, wait for the beep again then start. This puts extra heat into the glowplugs for easier starting.

Comment

Working...
                      X