Mechanic

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Mechanic

Hi guys, well it looks as if my 2.4 surf needs a new head, I have written here before about how I thought I had got a way with a new rad cap when I found I was losing water, a few weeks later and the water is still dropping regularly and more white smoke on start up appearing. I have got through nearly a pint in 3 weeks, so I am guessing the gasket or head has gone. I am going to take it to France skiing this winter so I need to get her in tip top shape...lol I need a good mechanic that knows surfs, I have 2 houses, one in stoke on trent, and the other in worcester, but I am willing to travel to get someone who knows what they are doing. I have heard of a guy called Stevo on this forum but don't know how to get in contact with him... Any suggestions guys?????????
    Keep it greasey so it'll go down easy...

Here ya go......

http://www.yotasurf.co.uk/members_pa...evo/index.html

Have you checked your radiator for leaks as well? mine had a very small split at the top but was unnoticed 'cos the hot coolant evaporated, and I only saw the split when the engine was cold.
    Last edited by BUSHWHACKER; 17 November 2005, 12:29.

Comment

Originally posted by BUSHWHACKER
      Here ya go......

http://www.yotasurf.co.uk/members_pa...evo/index.html

Have you checked your radiator for leaks as well? mine had a very small split at the top but was unnoticed 'cos the hot coolant evaporated, and I only saw the split when the engine was cold.

can i add that are you toping it up through the cap or the expansion bottle???? if its the expansion bottle i could agree the head is likely if its through the cap then you have a leak somewhere as mentioned. reason for me saying this is as pressure increases with the water temp the expanded water is pushed into the bottle, as it cools the system through vaccum draws back the water from the bottle... great damn thing about vaccum is that if you have the slightest leak elsewhere in the system offering less resistance it will draw air through that leak..

explore the least expensive options first is all i'd say

cheers
      marc

Comment

Always top up through the rad cap, but also make sure the expansion bottle is always a third full.
        Also renew the thermostat if you haven't done so.
        My leaking rad was drawing in air, plus my thermostat was knackered. fixed both and has been o.k.

Comment

Rad cap

Cheers guys.
          Yea I am topping up from the rad cap. I have had various people including the AA look at it, the AA did various tests on pressure and gases in the coolant and they said they was a small problem but not that serious. And my usual 4x4 garage said that the coolant pipes would be harder when the engine is warm for the head to be gone.They both said it could be the head gasket on the way out, but expensive to determine for sure. Is changing the thermostat pretty easy? I could try that..just concerned that the problem is going to get worse and I am planning a european trip. Also need to get the cam belt changed anyway so I though in for a penny lol...
          So Tigger, can I asume that if the level in the expansion bottle increases then the system is drawing air from somewhere and its a leak, but if the coolant level stays constant then the coolant must be going into the engine and causing the white smoke?
          Keep it greasey so it'll go down easy...

Comment

Working...
          X