Skating like Bambi!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Skating like Bambi!

OK so they have got the potatoes in around here, which means the local roads are covered in mud, which is fun and we get muddy but not so good when we need to stop.

Why is it (and please don't take the p**** out of my dwyvin) that my Surf when I stand on the breaks prefers to slither into the hedge to avoid oncoming transits filled with sniggering builders rather that sedately pull to the side. I can skid when I break hard at 20kph????? Is it about driving, or tyres or breaks or .....we did pass the MOT fine and the breaks were re-done with pads and shoes or whatever they are less than a year ago? Or is it normal....we have cheapo tyres on, the lot went the week we got our surf on the M5 and even the spare was a different size (nice dealer NOT!) saw us coming.

Nx
    Naomi
    AKA - Mamadwyvin
    www.greenhands.co.uk

Originally posted by mamadwyvin
    OK so they have got the potatoes in around here, which means the local roads are covered in mud, which is fun and we get muddy but not so good when we need to stop.

Why is it (and please don't take the p**** out of my dwyvin) that my Surf when I stand on the brakes prefers to slither into the hedge to avoid oncoming transits filled with sniggering builders rather that sedately pull to the side. I can skid when I break hard at 20kph????? Is it about driving, or tyres or breaks or .....we did pass the MOT fine and the breaks were re-done with pads and shoes or whatever they are less than a year ago? Or is it normal....we have cheapo tyres on, the lot went the week we got our surf on the M5 and even the spare was a different size (nice dealer NOT!) saw us coming.

Nx
    I think you may have answered that one yourself.....tyres and tyre compounds, cheap ones are..... odd behaving. Braking hard ? define braking hard, do you mean emergency stop braking or are you just a bit heavy footed ? But, if you have mud on the road, that defo wont help. Mine has a tendancy to lock up the un loaded wheel, by which I mean depending on whether the truck is in a straightline or on a slight bend or the road has a steep camber.
    Find somewhere to practise, try different braking pressures, foot pressure I mean.
    Who needs speed, People will always wait for me !

Comment

What make of tyres do you have fitted? also make sure the pressures are not too high. Remember that you are trying to stop a very heavy lump of metal with a high centre of gravity.

Comment

Originally posted by BUSHWHACKER
        What make of tyres do you have fitted? also make sure the pressures are not too high. Remember that you are trying to stop a very heavy lump of metal with a high centre of gravity.
        Thanks Vince/Chaos,

I like the idea of stopping practice!
        When I mean hard I mean not emergency, just oh no BIG TRANSIT in middle of lane - I might not stop kind of hard. I am certainly getting better and I do keep straight these days!

I think my tyres look a bit bulgy, the local air thingy is out of action, will have to go further afield to check but good idea.
        Our Log man mentioned that his truck stops easier with a heavy load...I guess that is what they were designed for.
        The tyres are mega cheapy from the local independant, we had just replaced the head and had nothing left to throw at them. Would put them on my Christmas list but I want SO MANY THINGS!

Anyway thanks for the tips, you will know when manicures are doing well - will be announcing NEW TYRES!

Nx
        Naomi
        AKA - Mamadwyvin
        www.greenhands.co.uk

Comment

Thanks Vince/Chaos,

I like the idea of stopping practice!
          When I mean hard I mean not emergency, just oh no BIG TRANSIT in middle of lane - I might not stop kind of hard. I am certainly getting better and I do keep straight these days!

I think my tyres look a bit bulgy, the local air thingy is out of action, will have to go further afield to check but good idea.
          Our Log man mentioned that his truck stops easier with a heavy load...I guess that is what they were designed for.
          The tyres are mega cheapy from the local independant, we had just replaced the head and had nothing left to throw at them. Would put them on my Christmas list but I want SO MANY THINGS!

Anyway thanks for the tips, you will know when manicures are doing well - will be announcing NEW TYRES!

Nx
          I get my tyres from here http://www.bronco4x4.com/index.html very good mail order service, exceptionally helpfull, and should you be unfortunate and have a prob, they fall over themselves to help.
          Chris.
          Who needs speed, People will always wait for me !

Comment

Originally posted by ChaosinDevon
            I get my tyres from here http://www.bronco4x4.com/index.html very good mail order service, exceptionally helpfull, and should you be unfortunate and have a prob, they fall over themselves to help.
            Chris.
            I find that good old fashioned Cadence braking works very well in a surf on a muddy wet road.

Comment

Originally posted by Medieval Dave
              I find that good old fashioned Cadence braking works very well in a surf on a muddy wet road.
              Whats that then?
              Naomi
              AKA - Mamadwyvin
              www.greenhands.co.uk

Comment

What they used to teach in the days before good tyres or road surfaces or ABS.

Stuff your foot down firmly. as soon as it starts to skid release the pedal sharply, then brake again, sort of skid/release/skid/release.

This has two advantages. firstly in the bits where you aren't skidding you can steer, so you avoid ending up in the hedge/transit.

secondly, the coeficient of friction (braking force) is greatest at the point of breakaway, then falls off. in other words the harder you press the pedal the more breaking you get up until you skid, then you get much less breaking. you are aiming to stay around that point of maximum breaking. this is particularly the case on mud or wet snow, where it is hard to get anywhere near that point except in passing. you get your best breaking just before skidding so you keep aiming for that point.

In refined modern cars the technique is obselete, but in the Surf, although I love here she's more pickup truck with comfy seats and a roof than overgrown car, and is seems to work.

Comment

i'm 28 and know cadence braking!
                  nee nar nee nar, i'm a fire engine!

Comment

........... the local air thingy is out of action, will have to go further afield to check ........
                    You should consider getting your own gauge so that you can check at home. Garage gauges are notoriously inaccurate, plus driving anything more than a mile or so will heat up your tyres enough to alter the pressure within, preventing you from getting a proper reading. The further you have to travel (up to a point) the more inaccurate the readings can be. Tyre pressure should always be checked cold.
                    Maurice
                    Hilux Surf FAQ at www.hiluxsurf.eu

Comment

Also the state of the shocks have a huge impact upon your stopping distance, on a dry road at 30mph it takes be another 20ft to stop with the suspension on soft.
                      This is largely due to the nosedive and lift at the rear in soft mode, and level stance with hard mode, giving the rear tyres a better grip.
                      Ok nicely done, when we dry off we can go find the boat!

Comment

so, to recap.. the tyres are flat and rubbish, your shocks have had it, you're not driving it properly, and its old fashioned. yikes! or, it could be tracking or stuck callipers! but the main point why isnt the transit swerving out of your way? doesnt he know surfs beat transits?
                        it's in me shed, mate.

Comment

but the main point why isnt the transit swerving out of your way? doesnt he know surfs beat transits? [/QUOTE]

Hands down, no sweat!
                          We have a nice ladder frame chassis, and four feet of steel in front of us, he would be minced up as his engine popped through the bulkhead followed by our mangled bumper
                          Ok nicely done, when we dry off we can go find the boat!

Comment

Another point to consider, how are your rear springs? if your rear end is sagging the load compensating valve on the rear axle will think you have a heavy load on board and increase the braking at the rear.
                            I found that when I fitted new rear springs the brakes were much less keen!
                            Laugh!!! I nearly bought my own beer.

Paul

Comment

Anyway thanks for the tips, you will know when manicures are doing well -

Nx
                              Oh are you a nail lady ?

Is that what that surf does?

I am a hairdresser.

Why don't you carry a lot of heavy nails and nail-varnish?

I may put some pictures of my helping surf because I just had the pink writing put on the back windows. Should get me noticed around town!

Keep well. Mucho wonga

Peter

Comment

Working...
                              X