Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• dont yawn - another mpg question!

went to Edinburgh and back at weekend.

24ish mpg on way down crusing at 70mph (but steady acceleration)
    and on return

27ish mpg - but cruising at 60 mph

is it normal to see 3mpg drop for difference of 60 vs 70 mph crusing speed??!

on the subaru i only get that for a 25mph speed difference
    Landcruiser Colorado
    Sub. Forester

The optimum speed for maximum economy is 56mph.....apparently

Comment

Originally posted by BUSHWHACKER
      probably cos at that speed you are bound to get a little push from a lorry..
      it's in me shed, mate.

Comment

No no, s'true. I've tried it in every vehicle i've owned, and it works, boring, but it works.

Comment

Our 3.0 gets a huge difference cruising between 60 or 80. It's just hard keeping it less than 80, it keeps drifting up there if you not looking!
          4x4toys.co.uk - Keeping you on and off the road...

Comment

Originally posted by TonyN
            Our 3.0 gets a huge difference cruising between 60 or 80. It's just hard keeping it less than 80, it keeps drifting up there if you not looking!
            Thats what I meant in a prev post when I said respect to the guys who can keep her down to 65 on long runs.........mine seems to like the 80 85 figure (private roads of course)...

Comment

Not wishing to deflate anyone's ego but when you say 80 - 85 is that on the clock? If go I would suggest a run using GPS based speed measurement, as my Surf reads 80+mph on the clock when only doing 75mph on the GPS. YES I trust my GPS measurements more as I've had 3 differnet devices all running at the same time, and all agreed within .2 mph! So, if optimum speed is 56mph, is that TRUE or clock speed?

Comment

56mph GPS speed!
                Or just under 60.

Comment

56mph GPS speed!
                  Or just under 60.
                  On my 2.4, when I was clocking 80, the speed according to the gps was 72!
                  Pete

Comment

56mph/100kmh is supossedly most economical is something to do with gravitation pull versus drag or somthing like that so i was informed

my peugot van driven @ 50ish(very rare) does about45mpg
                    @80-90 (normal) its 28-31 mpg

surf i dont know i just fill it when needed
                    Surf.gone but not forgottendisco now gone aswell

Comment

I've just noticed a drop from 25 mpg at 70 to 19.871342 mpg at 80 - 90.
                      Nili secundum desperandum

Comment

sadly it's true - the faster you go the more petrol you use.

(and yes - there is a big difference between 60 mph and a decent cruising speed officer)

my speedo was spot on at 53 mph cos that's what my speeding ticket said too!
                        Dave

Comment

The speed that gives best economy will vary a little according to gearing etc however it will usually be a little over 50mph as this is about the point when aerodynamic drag becomes the single most important factor. The CD (coefficient of drag) of a surf is appalling and the CD^ (coeficent of drag times frontal area) even worse so a small increase in cruising speed will make a big difference to your economy.

Comment

i thought it was cos wen you're going UP north, it's more strain than going DOWN south!
                            nee nar nee nar, i'm a fire engine!

Comment

Working...
                            X