yobit eobot.com

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Which Surf would you recommend to newbie?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Which Surf would you recommend to newbie?

HI everyone,

My dream machine has always been a Surf, but up to now I haven`t had the money to buy one. Well now I`m the position to and was wondering what you guys (the experts) would recommend which model etc to get?

I only have a small budget of about £4500 and I definately want a diesel. What do you think I could get for my money, age/model/condition etc? And what pitfalls should I look out for when purchasing? Should I buy private or trade?

I know the surf is a great car although I`ve never even driven one yet. I used to own a 95 Landcruiser VX until she got stolen so I know Toyotas make good 4x4`s.

My Cruiser was the toughest car I`ve ever had.

I put her through hell and she never missed a beat!! I still shed a tear when I think back boo hoo. I didn`t have the chance to tell it how I really felt before she was kidnapped. If anyone out there know`s where she is or if she is reading this now.... I just wanna say I`m sorry for all those knocks and bangs I put you through and for using that cheap supermarket oil.... and that time I made you drag my boat 1000 miles on holiday and only filled you up with low grade diesel. SOB SOB .... I`m a new man now, my next 4x4 I`ll treat proper. I`ll even empty the ashtrays on occasion!!!
    [font=Comic Sans MS][color=red][b][u]SSR-G SURF `N` REG 95[/u][/b][/color][/font]
    [img]http://tinypic.com/i1k95k.jpg[/img]

Originally posted by LuckyBstd
    HI everyone,

My dream machine has always been a Surf, but up to now I haven`t had the money to buy one. Well now I`m the position to and was wondering what you guys (the experts) would recommend which model etc to get?

I only have a small budget of about £4500 and I definately want a diesel. What do you think I could get for my money, age/model/condition etc? And what pitfalls should I look out for when purchasing? Should I buy private or trade?

I know the surf is a great car although I`ve never even driven one yet. I used to own a 95 Landcruiser VX until she got stolen so I know Toyotas make good 4x4`s.

I put her through hell and she never missed a beat!! I still shed a tear when I think back boo hoo. I didn`t have the chance to tell it how I really felt before she was kidnapped. If anyone out there know`s where she is or if she is reading this now.... I just wanna say I`m sorry for all those knocks and bangs I put you through and for using that cheap supermarket oil.... and that time I made you drag my boat 1000 miles on holiday and only filled you up with low grade diesel. SOB SOB .... I`m a new man now, my next 4x4 I`ll treat proper. I`ll even empty the ashtrays on occasion!!!

hi and welcome to the nut house.you should be able to get a good 3.0l 2nd gen surf the 3.0l has got better pulling power for towing etc.take a look in the surfs for sale also Pops has a very good 2.4 for 3k.just remember what ever you get to test and try everything out first.
    https://www.facebook.com/groups/henpals/

Comment

Thanks for the advice.

I heard somewhere that the 2.4`s had cooling problems and the cooling system should be flushed out regularly. Is there any truth to this?

Also what kind of MPG do you get from the 3.0? Not that I care i`m just curious.

Should I expect to pay more for the 3.0l version?

Would you say the 2.4 is under-powered and that the 3.0 is more suited to the size/weight ratio?

Is there anything specific to look out for or just the usual things associated when buying a used car?

Cheers
      [font=Comic Sans MS][color=red][b][u]SSR-G SURF `N` REG 95[/u][/b][/color][/font]

Comment

Thanks for the advice.

I heard somewhere that the 2.4`s had cooling problems and the cooling system should be flushed out regularly. Is there any truth to this?

Also what kind of MPG do you get from the 3.0? Not that I care i`m just curious.

Should I expect to pay more for the 3.0l version?

Would you say the 2.4 is under-powered and that the 3.0 is more suited to the size/weight ratio?

Is there anything specific to look out for or just the usual things associated when buying a used car?

Cheers
        the 2.4's do get the head probs but i've had mine now for 18 months without any trouble.
        i think you get about 28-30mpg on the 3ltr i may be wrong

the 3ltr is more to buy than the 2.4

i have never driven a 3ltr but i think the 2.4 is a bit under powered

just take one out for a test drive and make sure everthing works and find somewhere to test the 4wd as you say basically as you said the usual things associatedwhen buying a second hand motor

if you go for a 2.4 and they say the head has been changed just make sure you get the paperwork to state that it has been and that it has the new modified head. I hope this helps you out a bit more
        https://www.facebook.com/groups/henpals/

Comment

you can have this one for 3k its waiting to go
          Attached Files
          Enjoying Life after Cancer
          Pops

Comment

"New modified head" ?

I assume there was a glitch in the original and they modified it at a later date? Well thats very useful to know if correct, thanks very much.

It`s things like that you only hear about on places like this. Great site, great advice...

Thanks

Comment

Originally posted by pops
              you can have this one for 3k its waiting to go
              Is it 3.0L? How many miles has it done? How much MOT? Is the right-off crash you had recorded? And does the cut`n`shut weld show much?

Yeah I`m interested LOL

Comment

Is it 3.0L? How many miles has it done? How much MOT? Is the right-off crash you had recorded? And does the cut`n`shut weld show much?

Yeah I`m interested LOL
                its a 2.4 and all your questions answered in the for sale section
                cant miss it
                the pops 2.4 thread
                Pops

Comment

Originally posted by pops
                  its a 2.4 and all your questions answered in the for sale section
                  cant miss it
                  the pops 2.4 thread
                  What all my questions are answered!!! Must be a good weld then LOL

Comment

What all my questions are answered!!! Must be a good weld then LOL
                    your beginning to sound like a tyre kicker now

Pops

Comment

For the record...... I know nothing about the 3 ltr model, I own a 2.4 Tdi auto, it has had the head replaced before I bought it. Though my understanding about the head issue, as explained to me by someone on here, it was a bad batch that caused the probs and later models were rectified in the factory.
                      As for performance, well they will never win any records, but I have found that once you learn to drive them properly they behave ok. I slip mine out of overdrive when I need to pull away a bit smartish, and when towing the boat I leave the OD off and on hills I hit the ECT button which helps. Other than that she cruises fine. I have no clue to the mpg as I dont care, but its a damn sight cheaper than my tricked up 4.2 Rangey I used to have.
                      Who needs speed, People will always wait for me !

Comment

In answer to the first post:

"Which Surf would you recommend to newbie? "

I would have to say go for a 3.0l. I recently sold my 2.4 after owning it for 3 1/2 years, and it was one of the best, but also the worst car I've owned, if that makes sense. Surfs are one of the best looking 4x4's on the road, but I found my 2.4's cooling system just too fragile. I could cope with the lack of power , the heavy fuel consumtion, and the fiddly tailgate, if the truck was more reliable, but the engine problems were just too much, and It put me off 2nd gens altogether. I've gone back to a diesel estate, and couldn't go back to another 4x4 due to my fuel bill being halved.

Comment

Originally posted by stormforce1067

i think you get about 28-30mpg on the 3ltr i may be wrong

Err, try 20-23mpg!............

Comment

Kiss

HI everyone,

K eep
                            I t
                            S imple
                            S ir

3.0L Auto, most colours are nice I prefer Blue
                            and as they are not the most areodynamic of vehicles I have chosen to stay away from bars, lights etc - it also helps air flow through the engine. I dont believe you will be dissapointed!!
                            Did I mention I have a BLUE one
                            Tony

Comment

Working...
                            X