would this kite be good for a beginner please

http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/BRAND-NEW-2m-R...QQcmdZViewItem

thanks
    Enjoying Life after Cancer
    Pops

Yes!

You're welcome.

Comment

I was looking at those the other day (at work and the boss nearly caught me). They look good value. Half the time it is too windy for recreational flying with the 3M Buster. I must get a mountain board or something cos it is stretching my arms.
      It's only a hobby!

Comment

Originally posted by kitesurf_phil
        I was looking at those the other day (at work and the boss nearly caught me). They look good value. Half the time it is too windy for recreational flying with the 3M Buster. I must get a mountain board or something cos it is stretching my arms.
        so is that a yes then phil dont sit on the fence or should that be fly on the thread tell me as i know nowt about kites mate
        Pops

Comment

Originally posted by pops
          so is that a yes then phil dont sit on the fence or should that be fly on the thread tell me as i know nowt about kites mate
          I have just re-read the ad. At 1.2M Sq it should give you a reasonable workout without ripping your arms off. It will help balance that dodgy shoulder up, cos with a two line kite whatever effort you use to move to the right, you have to make the asme to move it to the left.
          Be careful though, it's addictive. In a month or two you will be lusting after a 4 line kite.
          May the breeze always be at your back.
          It's only a hobby!

Comment

guess i might have a bid then
            gotta start somewhere hey
            Pops

Comment

Go 4 line, its easier to learn with brakes!

4x4toys.co.uk - Keeping you on and off the road...

Comment

1.2 m will be good for static flying, but if you want to get going on a board you'll need bigger.
                if your boarding, then consider getting into depowerables. flying a kite on a control bar also makes more sense on a board.
                and yes its adictive, i've been doing it for 5 yrs now and i'm about 2000 quid down....wouldnt change it for the world

Comment

like they say pops, you cant have just 1 kite.. i got 6 flexifoils, a home made 4 line 2mtre, and 3 deltas, i've lost count.. quite easy to make...
                  (i've aslo got a urter scale parapente canopy and if i could just get the rigging right...)
                  so yes pops. buy one!
                  it's in me shed, mate.

Comment

Originally posted by IIIrd
                    1.2 m will be good for static flying, but if you want to get going on a board you'll need bigger.
                    if your boarding, then consider getting into depowerables. flying a kite on a control bar also makes more sense on a board.
                    and yes its adictive, i've been doing it for 5 yrs now and i'm about 2000 quid down....wouldnt change it for the world
                    Hey - you're in Hampshire - do you ever come to the buggy/board field nr Basingstoke?

Pops - I wouldn't suggest anything bigger for a first kite... come and fly my 1.2 Beamer sometime to see just how much you can get pulled about by these things!!! Or come along one Sunday and we can arrange for you try a selection of different ones to get the feel of it.

With a 2 line kite like that you basically have to steer it out of the wind to bring it down... if you get a 4 line you have brake lines to kill it if it gets too strong. So just remember that if you fly in high winds.

Also remember - you generally get what you pay for... a cheap kite is fine, but may be less stable, or less easy to handle that one which is made better and thus a bit more pricey.

Have fun - its a bit like surfing tho... once you start you cant stop!!!
                    Last edited by Linda; 13 November 2005, 10:44.
                    Linda

www.4x4toys.co.uk

Comment

The main thing is not start out with too big a kite. Start small and work up to the big ones. Even 1.2m could be a handfull in a strong wind.

I started with small 2 line stunt kites, then got into the larger traction kites- even making a lot of my own. Then 10 years my car got stolen with all my kites inside (100's of hours of work lost). I got the car back but not the kites and never really regained interest again. But don't let my tale of woe put you off!

Comment

Originally posted by Chillitt
                        like they say pops, you cant have just 1 kite.. i got 6 flexifoils, a home made 4 line 2mtre, and 3 deltas, i've lost count.. quite easy to make...
                        (i've aslo got a urter scale parapente canopy and if i could just get the rigging right...)
                        so yes pops. buy one!
                        I have two home made sled kites. A home made Conyne (French Military Kite). A 9Ft Delta that I bought. A home made winged box kite. Several small delta stunt kites and parafoil stunts. Lots of novel kites made from that shiny wrapping paper that I can't remember the name of. A couple of home made indian fighter kites............and my 3M Buster.
                        If you get into building you are gonna need a good sewing machine. The only problem with that is, because you can sew rip-stop nylon, you get lumbered with turning up the curtains too!!
                        It's only a hobby!

Comment

Originally posted by Linda
                          Hey - you're in Hampshire - do you ever come to the buggy/board field nr Basingstoke?

Pops - I wouldn't suggest anything bigger for a first kite... come and fly my 1.2 Beamer sometime to see just how much you can get pulled about by these things!!! Or come along one Sunday and we can arrange for you try a selection of different ones to get the feel of it.

With a 2 line kite like that you basically have to steer it out of the wind to bring it down... if you get a 4 line you have brake lines to kill it if it gets too strong. So just remember that if you fly in high winds.

Also remember - you generally get what you pay for... a cheap kite is fine, but may be less stable, or less easy to handle that one which is made better and thus a bit more pricey.

never flown in basingstoke, where abouts do you fly there?. i mainly fly (missus permitting) at qeens parade aldershot....huge great field. the wind can be a bit odd there, very changable. if i get the chance i tru get to camber or greatstone. clean wind and miles of beach.
                          havnt been out for a while, no truck untill now . give us directions and i'll try escape the house to basingstoke,
                          cheers
                          sean

Comment

Originally posted by Linda

OK Linda - directions please !

I've never had any success with kites and could do with some lessons - I suspect this could end up getting expensive ........

Life is too important to take seriously !

Comment

just remember to keep your feet forward or the next thing to hit the deck is your chin and elbows....
                              it's in me shed, mate.

Comment

Working...
                              X