v8 in to surf

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• v8 in to surf

this is a serious question,reading the thread on a search for tps i did. Then doing a search on a v8 conversion and cumming up with zilch i am now seriously considering cutting my loses and fitting a rover v8 that i have in an old drag race car that i own,its sitting in the car doing nothing.now my question is how easy is the conversion.This engine puts out around 450 bhp so i will be using the uprated C63 borg warner auto trans thats bolted to the engine thus removing the transfer box making it rear wheel drive.so before i do anything i am going to make a list of thing i need and things to do,so if any of you very nice chaps have done a conversion[ tony ] or have any info it would be greatly appreciated.
    www.overfab.uk

From wot I have gathered from various sites covering this subject , and Tony , there is no adapter bell housing for the Surf gearbox to Rover V8 . Tony used a B/G 65 (?) autobox with a turned output casing to mate to a MK1 transfer box so keeping it 4wd . The Americans have fitted various engines and boxes from other 4wd and making the props fit to the transfer boxes from doner vehicle . The Australians have also covered this subject , again with various donor 4wd swops . All with great success .

I want to , when I can , do a Rover V8 fitment , with the same layout Tony used .

You could retain the Surf gearbox and have the bellhousing cut and welded as the Hilux pickups do to fit Rover V8 in .

If you do the Surf gearbox job I think you would have a lot of interest from other members who have asked this question before .

Ideal to buy a 2.4 with a busted head and fit a Rover V8 in .

Good luck , hope you do it !
    Rick...Member of 1st Gen club. ONE LIFE ... GET ONE !!

Comment

thanks for that,so does anybody know how much power the surf box can take before it goes bang.the only reason i ask is that i had to have my bw c63 uprated to take the torque and its a relatively small box so fitting will be a doddle,i do have access to a machine shop but not knowing what im up against in retaining the 4wd system is a bit offputting.also if i go rwd.will i have to change the front drive train.or can i just remove the front drive shaft and leave the front set up as is.
      www.overfab.uk

Comment

tony do you have any pics of the v8 conversion that you did.ie engine and g/box mounts and bellhousing.
        www.overfab.uk

Comment

Working...
        X