Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Should I buy a Surf?

Hi,

Asking that question here will probably get the answer of 'yes', but I'd like to explain my predicament. I nearly bought a surf a year ago, but they were just too expensive, instead I bought a mitsubishi fto (Slightly different I know). Then in feb a woman ran into me and wrote that off, so I bought a nissan skyline. It's an amazing car, but totally impractical and expensive to run, especially as I have a kit car as a weekend toy.

I'm back to thinking of getting rid of the skyline, and getting a surf, but I want to know as much as I can about them. What can I expect to get for £5000? is ther much difference between the 2.4 and 3.0? how much fuel they use (I don't do mpg, I work in how far you can get on how much money)? are the running costs/repair bills high? what should I look out for etc?

I've tried to find this info myself, but there's no real one stop shop for it. I'm a member of 2 other owners clubs, so I'm sure you guys will give the best advice going.

cheers,

Martin.

ps. would anyone fancy swpping there's for a nissan skyline?
    Just trying to raise my postcount!

Can't remeber what my 2.4 did to the gallon, and haven't driven my 3.0 enough to get a steady reading, but the 3.0 does have a lot more guts.

You will get a fair lump of car for £5K though!

My 3.0l set me back a lot less than that, and the 2nd gens seem to be dropping a lot in recent months. March last year a k plate 2nd gen would have set you back 5-6K, now they are out there sub £3K.

As for repairs ans servicing, most people on here would agree that the one of the best things about surfs is how easy it is to do the vast majority of all your own maintenance and servicing. Plus there's always some friendly owner on here to give advice on the bits you get stuck on!

Try http://www.showmesome.info/hilux for a list of what to look out for when buying one.

Hope that helps a bit.
    Last edited by Big Jonah; 10 November 2005, 22:04.
    I'd rather be scared to death than bored to death

Comment

Originally posted by B16mts
      Hi,

Asking that question here will probably get the answer of 'yes', but I'd like to explain my predicament. I nearly bought a surf a year ago, but they were just too expensive, instead I bought a mitsubishi fto (Slightly different I know). Then in feb a woman ran into me and wrote that off, so I bought a nissan skyline. It's an amazing car, but totally impractical and expensive to run, especially as I have a kit car as a weekend toy.

I'm back to thinking of getting rid of the skyline, and getting a surf, but I want to know as much as I can about them. What can I expect to get for £5000? is ther much difference between the 2.4 and 3.0? how much fuel they use (I don't do mpg, I work in how far you can get on how much money)? are the running costs/repair bills high? what should I look out for etc?

I've tried to find this info myself, but there's no real one stop shop for it. I'm a member of 2 other owners clubs, so I'm sure you guys will give the best advice going.

cheers,

Martin.

i have a 2.4 which i'm getting about 23-24 pg out of but the 3.0 is the better option better pulling power take a look in the surfs for sale Pops has a really good 2.4 for sale for 3000 but if you shop around you should be able to get a 3.0l for 5k
      https://www.facebook.com/groups/henpals/

Comment

Hi,

cheers,

Martin.

Hi You should get a very good surf for 5k they say go for the 3lt as opposed
        to the 2.4 because of possible head problems, Although mines a 2.4 and have had no problems, They are juicy any where between 18- 25 mpg the 3's being
        not much different to 2.4 but more power, My choice was going to be a Paj
        till i saw the surf, Glad i got it now, Of course if you want an economicle car
        dont get any 4x4, But if you do want one then the surf wont dissapoint,
        This is a very good site, plenty of help and advise (and smartass remarks)
        Regards Ian
        Too young to die and too old to give a toss

Comment

ps. would anyone fancy swpping there's for a nissan skyline?[/QUOTE]

Whats a nissan skyline???? i got a lovely 2.4 auto surf up 4 sale at only 3grand, good head on it never had any probs....and in the right colour BLUE
          lets go get dirty...

Comment

Originally posted by shelly

Whats a nissan skyline???? i got a lovely 2.4 auto surf up 4 sale at only 3grand, good head on it never had any probs....and in the right colour BLUE [/QUOTE]
            Good head is def worth 3k pity about the colour though.
            Too young to die and too old to give a toss

Comment

Originally posted by ian619
              Whats a nissan skyline???? i got a lovely 2.4 auto surf up 4 sale at only 3grand, good head on it never had any probs....and in the right colour BLUE
              Good head is def worth 3k pity about the colour though.[/QUOTE]

oi!!!!cheeky. nowt wrong with blue 1's, every1 on here no's they're the best....................ok ok i won't start a colour war again

BUT BLUE IS THE NEW BLACK
              lets go get dirty...

Comment

Good head is def worth 3k pity about the colour though.

oi!!!!cheeky. nowt wrong with blue 1's, every1 on here no's they're the best....................ok ok i won't start a colour war again

BUT BLUE IS THE NEW BLACK [/QUOTE]dont believe shelly she's a Girl see my avitar
                Enjoying Life after Cancer
                Pops

Comment

yes but a 100% dirty girl

we all know smurfs r blue

he'l b sorry if he gets any other colour and the head blows on it, and i'l b sayin "i told u so" "should hav bought my well looked and loved after BLUE 1"
                  lets go get dirty...

Comment

yes but a 100% dirty girl

we all know smurfs r blue

he'l b sorry if he gets any other colour and the head blows on it, and i'l b sayin "i told u so" "should hav bought my well looked and loved after BLUE 1"
                    or my equally good Burgandy one
                    Enjoying Life after Cancer
                    Pops

Comment

Originally posted by pops
                      or my equally good Burgandy one
                      more like Burp-gandy

sorry! just kidding
                      all smurfs r nice...
                      .if the're blue
                      lets go get dirty...

Comment

As I'm a bloke, the colour is pretty much the least important thing to me.

However, back to the subject: a nissan skyline is arguable the best japanese sports car. mine's a 2.5 single turbo rear wheel drive slightly modified 300bhp grey one. it's quite thirsty, and not very practical, however it's understandably very quick!

That's why I'm still not sure if I should change to such a different car as a Surf.

cheers,

Martin

Comment

As I'm a bloke, the colour is pretty much the least important thing to me.

However, back to the subject: a nissan skyline is arguable the best japanese sports car. mine's a 2.5 single turbo rear wheel drive slightly modified 300bhp grey one. it's quite thirsty, and not very practical, however it's understandably very quick!

That's why I'm still not sure if I should change to such a different car as a Surf.

cheers,

Martin
                          I never ownedanything as quick as a Skyline but i sold a 2.2 vtec Prelude for a surf , and only have slight regrets - not for the prelude , but for the speed . other times I love the beast with its go anywhere attitude and not many people mess with you at junctions / roundabouts.

You just have to alter your obsession , the obsession to go fast gets swapped for the obsession to go anywhere , climb anywhere and get as muddy as possible.

Hey if, you have a kit car as well , you prob have the best of both anyway.
                          http://www.darksidesolutions.co.uk - Web Solutions

Comment

If you've got £5K to spend then definitely go for a 3.0L. You can probably get an early 3rd Gen (96 on) for that these days. 3rd gen has ABS, airbags, etc and some have an intercooler as well. If you don't worry about mpg then a 3.0L V6 petrol might be OK but most on here have the diesel as there's more low down grunt and you can run them on veg oil if the oil price keeps going up. Most are automatics, although there are manuals out there. Good hunting.
                            Mike G

Comment

Hat's exactly the reason why I'm thinking of getting rid of the skyline. now the kit car is nearly finished i'll have 2 very quick cars that are totally impractical, hence perhaps I should get a surf. A totally diferent kind of fun, yet still practical for carryin things or people etc.

cheers,

Mart

Comment

Working...
                              X