Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Thinking about buying surf

Firstly hello to everyone

I am going to test drive a surf tomorrow and i have a couple of questions to ask of you please.

It is a 1992 surf ssr 2.4 turbo diesel, 80,000 km`s on the clock and is immaculate, with a new cambelt fitted.
    The asking price is £3995, is this a fair price to pay?

And while i take it for a test, what are the most important things to check out for faults.
    I know that some have had problems with overheating via the cylinder head cracking, is there any way of knowing if a modified c/head has been fitted?

Thanks for any help and suggestions

Hi, welcome on board.
    Here's some FAQs about Surfs...http://www.showmesome.info/hilux/info/faq.htm
    The only way to tell if the head has been replaced is having documented proof i'm affraid., or take it off and have a look.

Comment

Thanks for the reply and the link BUSHWHACKER

What about the price £3995, does this seem reasonable?

Comment

Originally posted by hawkwind
        Thanks for the reply and the link BUSHWHACKER

What about the price £3995, does this seem reasonable?

hi and welcome to the forum it's not too bad a price but if you look around you can find them cheaper.Pops has 1 in the for sale section for £3000 i think it is
        https://www.facebook.com/groups/henpals/

Comment

see here...http://www.hiluxsurf.co.uk/forums/sh...4&page=1&pp=10

Comment

Thanks once again

Unfortunately pops surf is a bit too far out of the way for me.

Comment

[QUOTE=hawkwind]Firstly hello to everyone

It is a 1992 surf ssr 2.4 turbo diesel, 80,000 km`s on the clock and is immaculate, with a new cambelt fitted.

QUOTE]

I bought the same spec as you for £2,400 not immaculate but no rust or damage. some minor scratches the I polished out.
              Mark

EDIT - Mine had 80,000 Miles not Kms sorry
              Last edited by madcampbell; 7 November 2005, 16:27. Reason: Learning to read and write

Comment

Thanks once again

Unfortunately pops surf is a bit too far out of the way for me.
                its a goody and its cheap if i say so myself
                Enjoying Life after Cancer
                Pops

Comment

well I've just bought a 3.0L 1994 TD for £3950. I think I'd be a little worried at your mileage for a 1992 model - seems a bit low to me. It seems that you do have to travel around to find the best deals and best models - I had a look at loads of fairly local Surfs without luck. Ended up going to Blackpool from Devon for mine, but well worth it.
                  Don't cry because it's over, smile because it happened

Comment

Originally posted by mapman
                    It seems that you do have to travel around to find the best deals and best models - I had a look at loads of fairly local Surfs without luck. Ended up going to Blackpool from Devon for mine, but well worth it.
                    Agreed, I ended up getting mine from Manchester which was quite a trip, although not as far as Mapmans' marathon journey !!!

If you do your research and ask all the questions they suggest on http://www.showmesome.info/hilux/ then you'll be on the right road. It's worth travelling as once you've found the right one you'll love it

Have you had a good look round the Surfs for sale on the forum, gotta be a safer bet if you're concerned about travelling to find it not as described ?

Si.

Comment

Well we are now the proud owners of a 1992 2.4 surf.
                      After we had taken it for a test drive and spent an age giving it the once over the wife could not resist buying it.

We did seek advice from a friend (mechanic) who first spotted the surf who said we may find one cheaper looking around but we may not find one in as good a condition for a long time.

So thanks for all who gave their time with help and advice, and we will look forward to being members of this wonderful forum

Comment

Well done. I've only had mine a week and it's fantastic - I keep trying to find excuses just to take it for a drive . .

Had an immobilizer and new stereo fitted yesterday . . I think I'll just go and sleep in it !

Have a great time with your new Surf.
                        Don't cry because it's over, smile because it happened

Comment

Firstly hello to everyone

I am going to test drive a surf tomorrow and i have a couple of questions to ask of you please.

And while i take it for a test, what are the most important things to check out for faults.
                          I know that some have had problems with overheating via the cylinder head cracking, is there any way of knowing if a modified c/head has been fitted?

Thanks for any help and suggestions
                          Hi mate. I sold 2 x 3.0 SSRX LTD earlier this year, both went for a fraction over £4K so I'd say that this was a little over-priced IMHO.
                          Constantly Striving to Attain Lower Standards

Comment

Working...
                          X