Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Intro to group & Saggy Arse question!

Hi all,
    What a great site and what great motors these are!
    I have been looking for a Surf for a few weeks now and finally drove one home today ('94 3.0 ssrx)
    I have had a good look around this site and others and learnt loads about these motors already. However I have got some questions for you guys please.
    I tend to do most of my own servicing / repairs and want to carry out a service before winter sets in. Is any one make / type of engine oil recommended? (can of worms?!).
    I need to fit a tow bar and am lookig at the Roughtrax one - any comments/advice?
    My Surf is possibly suffering from saggy arse; when measuring from centre of wheel to wheel arch is it to the lower edge of the wheel arch?
    Thanks Guys (& Girls!)
    Last edited by Phil her up; 6 November 2005, 23:59.
    If you're gonna have one ...... have a good'un!

Originally posted by Phil her up
    Hi all,
    What a great site and what great motors these are!
    I have been looking for a Surf for a few weeks now and finally drove one home today ('94 3.0 ssrx)
    I have had a good look around this site and others and learnt loads about these motors already. However I have got some questions for you guys please.
    I tend to do most of my own servicing / repairs and want to carry out a service before winter sets in. Is any one make / type of engine oil recommended? (can of worms?!).
    I need to fit a tow bar and am lookig at the Roughtrax one - any comments/advice?
    My Surf is possibly suffering from saggy arse; when measuring from centre of wheel to wheel arch is it to the lower edge of the wheel arch?
    Thanks Guys (& Girls!)
    Hi Phil and welcome to the forum. Good name too!

Any diesel recommended engine oil as, with the 3000 mile service interval, it isn't in there long enough to warrant synthetic (IMHO).
    I got my towbar from the Towbar Warehouse and fitted myself. About £110 inc electrics, I think.

Not sure about the saggy arse measurement. I was confused by having the arch flares on. I fitted Milners 40% stronger springs and handling when towing improved by a huge amount.
    It's only a hobby!

Comment

Hi Phil
      Oil....definate can of worms... there a sticky I think its called general servicing info in the 3.0 section.
      SA theres been a couple of recent threads. Try a Search. Morr has an excellent FAQ Happy Surfing.

Comment

Welcome to the Forum- good to see you did some reseach before taking the plunge. Any turbo diesel oil is okay- provided you change every 5000km. These are not high reving, high performance engines with a 20,000 mile service interval- so don't bother with expensive oils (unless you really want too).

If the rear wheel-arch-to-rim measurement is less than 12.5" then it's probably time for new springs- especially if you're towing.

Comment

hi phil welcome to the nutters retreat
          and dont worry about your grin mate it never goes just gets bigger
          Enjoying Life after Cancer
          Pops

Comment

Welcome, I use 10w/40 oil Nothing too spectacular as short oil changesAs to the saggy arse, measure from the centre of the wheel cap to the underside of your wheel arch [not inside arch]
            Gaz

Comment

OK everyone, thanks for the replies. Just to get the saggy arse thing straight - I am measuring from the lowest point of the plastic wheel arch and not from up inside directly above the wheel - right??
              I have just got home from a Scouts one day First Response course (basic First Aid). So I have had very little time to get to know the motor as yet.
              Meanwhile I am making a wish list of parts and no doubt have some more questions brewing ..............

Comment

I just noticed I am about to hit the milestone 100th post.
                Thought I would resurect this my first post and bring you up to speed with work done on the Surf since.
                Here goes: -
                Engine oil & filter, air filter, fuel filter, coolant and drive belts replaced.
                Grease up.
                Flexible pipe from air filter replaced.
                Horns replaced.
                Both batteries replaced.
                Rear springs replaced with 20% uprated Milner springs.
                Brake discs and pads replaced - rear brakes checked.
                Starter motor contacts and plunger replaced.
                Drive belt adjuster pulley replaced.
                BFG AT tyres fitted.
                Radio/CD fitted.
                Ironfly roofbars fitted.
                Tow bar and twin electrics fitted.
                Heater air flow control cable straightened.
                Rear load cover and brackets fitted (today).

I didn't enjoy drilling the roof or taking the jigsaw to the rear side panels

The To Do List: -
                Fit ATF cooler and change ATF fluid.
                Replace thermostat.
                Waxoyl

The Might Do List: -
                Remove front fogs and refit/replace lower down somewhere.
                Fit front spots
                Fit rear fogs in rear bumper.
                Fit clear front and side repeater indicators.

I reckon thats about it

Comment

Working...
                X