Oil Oil Oil

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Oil Oil Oil

Been looking through the forum at oils and grades to try and get advice but after sitting here for hours and days... my head is now bashed to pieces and i am in more confusion now, than i was before i started !

Not knowing if my engine ticking noise is caused by oil being too thick or thin since giving it an oil change . I'm trying to find another way to sort it before i end up changing the oil once a week with different brands and extending my overdraft to try and find a suitable oil.

Im currently using Millers 10/40 XFE semi but i dont think my engine likes it , My oil pressure is on the 3 quater line at around two thousand revs when warm and the 1st quater line on tick over.

SO This weeks quiz.
    For those of you who do their own oil changes..........the question is

WHICH OIL and GRADES ARE YOU RUNNING ON ?????
    !!! I'M THE ONE YOUR MOTHER WARNED YOU ABOUT !!!

magnatec GTD 10w/40

are you running veg??

mine ticks if i use too much % of vegoil
    nee nar nee nar, i'm a fire engine!

Comment

Your oil pressure gauge readings are the same as mine. I use cheapo 15W40 semi synthetic oil, but I change it, and the filter every six months.
      Re: your engine 'ticking' noise, it might be an injector thats faulty.

Comment

Where's he gone?

Comment

Originally posted by BUSHWHACKER
          Re: your engine 'ticking' noise, it might be an injector thats faulty.
          think that's why mine ticks with too much veg... too think when cold don't go through injectors too well.
          nee nar nee nar, i'm a fire engine!

Comment

I been using veg oil on and off but I haven't had the ticking noise yet.
            Back in the summer (It seems oh so long ago now) I filled up with about three quarters with veg and topped up with diesel. The only problem I had was a leak at the fuel pump (a little puddle on the driveway) but as soon as I used up the veg oil, and added more diesel, it stopped leaking and hasn't leaked again since............Weired or wot!

Comment

No, not running veg yet, Clean as a whistle, Plus C&E are seem to be having a field day in my area at the mo. Saying that, I've Still never even been off road yet and i've had it a year now, Not sure if the tick is an injector, It only does it when its warmed up. Sounds more from the o/s . And the cam is more rattly that it was with the old oil in
              !!! I'M THE ONE YOUR MOTHER WARNED YOU ABOUT !!!

Comment

Like Matt I'm using Magnatec GTD 10w/40 synthetic. It is a high spec'd oil and it was on special offer at Costco last spring so I bought enough for 4 oil changes!
                If you suspect wear in the engine, rather than something broken, have you considered using an additive as produced by STP and others?
                This won't repair the problem, but might get rid of the noise.
                Although I've known people to use this solution successfully, especially in classic cars, I am of the opinion that it might mask a more serious problem and so would personally only use it as a last resort.
                Other options include turning up the stereo and/or singing loudly!!!
                Seriously though, odd noises in the engine drive me mad until I can locate the source, so you have my sympathy.
                Best of luck with the search.
                Keith

Comment

Working...
                X