replacement shocks

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• replacement shocks

Thinking of fitting a set of new shocks.

done searchs on here, people seem to rate the procomp 3000 or 9000's.
    and for what I can gather the difference is:

ES3000's - softer ride.

ES9000's - stiffer ride, can be a bit jarring, but better for towing and offroad.

I tow a heavy trailer now and again, trailer alone weighing nearly 1ton. I am also getting into more challenging offroading.

I put 1.5-2" lift rear springs on last year. I noticed today that the stock shocks on back run out of travel, when extended about 1.5-2 inch below normal fixing point - so these must limit the rear axle articulation.

I have also cranked the front end up, via front torsion bars, about 1-1.5".

So I reckon the best shocks for me would be the procomp ES9000, but the 2" lift ones? although I am a bit concerned by the potential bone-shaker ride!

Did search on the shocks on google and discovered 2 things
    1) Yanks seem to hate these shocks!
    2) A lot of people say dont fit the "boots" as all they do is keep crud and moisture trapped inside!

comments?
    Landcruiser Colorado
    Sub. Forester

Originally posted by andycook
    .....Did search on the shocks on google and discovered 2 things
    1) Yanks seem to hate these shocks!
    2) A lot of people say dont fit the "boots" as all they do is keep crud and moisture trapped inside!

comments?

In answer to #1, I may not be a Yank, but I'll certainly never get em again, poor pre-sales service (arrogant emails), design of the damper unit rather poor, zero aftersales service, and I mean zero, as in emails completely ignored. Ride quality on the 3000's is OK, not brilliant, very little real improvement over the previous leaking 200k km ones!

At the end of the day, their dampers are cheap for a reason.
    Maurice
    Hilux Surf FAQ at www.hiluxsurf.eu

Comment

Originally posted by Morr
      In answer to #1, I may not be a Yank, but I'll certainly never get em again, poor pre-sales service (arrogant emails), design of the damper unit rather poor, zero aftersales service, and I mean zero, as in emails completely ignored. Ride quality on the 3000's is OK, not brilliant, very little real improvement over the previous leaking 200k km ones!

At the end of the day, their dampers are cheap for a reason.
      What problem did you have with the shocks?
      and what alternative would you fit?
      Landcruiser Colorado
      Sub. Forester

Comment

I think Procomps are best value for shocks around, they arn't Rancho's or OME's, but they arn't the price either.

I have had Procomps on all my offroad and road trucks, they've never failed yet, the only thing I'd say the paint finish is ****, and goes rusty quickly.

I alway fit 9000's, they handle great with +2" HD rear coils. But 3000's are OK.

Personally, I find 9000's arn't clunky at all after settling in for a few weeks.

Thats confused you huh Andy?
        4x4toys.co.uk - Keeping you on and off the road...

Comment

I fitted es3000s only 'cos I got hard Landcruiser springs and didn't want to lose any teeth!

Comment

yep - confused now Tony

but - it would be a boring place if everyone had the same opinion on a product! !!

suppose its a get what you payfor thing!, guessing Old man Emu shocks are getting on for double the price of procomp.

Tony - do you fit the +2 SHOCKS with the +2 springs?
            Landcruiser Colorado
            Sub. Forester

Comment

Tony - do you fit the +2 SHOCKS with the +2 springs?
              Yeah, but buy them together, so you get the right length shock, of if buying the shocks later, make sure you get 2" extra on the shock lenght. Standard length shocks work fine on the road, but when offroad your shocks will bottem out too early, and you won't be making the most of the extra flex the +2" springs will give you.

4x4toys.co.uk - Keeping you on and off the road...

Comment

What problem did you have with the shocks?
                and what alternative would you fit?
                My difficulties with the dampers themselves (as opposed to those with procomp as a vendor) lie in the poor paint finish (as pointed out by Tony), sharp edges on the body of the damper where the welds were poorly finished, unavailability of the 9000's for the front of the 3rd Gen, and too short of a threaded portion on the rear shocks, ie not as long as the combined length of the supplied bushes, washers and vehicle mounting point. How are you meant to fit that then?

Next time I'll probably try and save my pennies for OME or similar. The US guys also rate the Bilsteins, and the original dampers were quite good, so as they were made by KYB, I would certainly consider some of their non-adjustable offerings.
                Maurice
                Hilux Surf FAQ at www.hiluxsurf.eu

Comment

OME are the best IMHO haveing read loads of feedback on them. £50 plus vat each for the Landcruiser ones I am going to fit from TBR UK. A bit more expensive but if they can give a decent ride in the outback which has some of the worst so called roads you can get, then they will certainly work OK here.

Comment

Got to agree with Maurice regarding pre and post sale help . Explorer UK who are the ProComp UK outlet did not want to sell me their product , although I had discussions with the Guru (Tony) who said it would (and it did) fit.

I wanted some new shackles and eye pins after I fitted the springs and shocks as mine were found worn/corroded , so I ordered via Stuart as he was dealing with my original order . The shackles turned up but no pins . Stuart phoned Explorer who said they had no pins in stock . They sent the shackles but did not bother to phone Stuart to inform him of the pin shortage (4 - 6 weeks back order).

I now have the pins from Milners . More expensive but at least they turned up when the guy said they would .

ProComp/Explorer product is OK but service poor .
                    Rick...Member of 1st Gen club. ONE LIFE ... GET ONE !!

Comment

Working...
                    X