Lightening the load

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Lightening the load

Since aerodynamics on the Surf can't be easily changed to improve MPG how about the weight of the beast?? Has antone got any ideas how to reduce it??

Originally posted by plodger
    Since aerodynamics on the Surf can't be easily changed to improve MPG how about the weight of the beast?? Has antone got any ideas how to reduce it??
    Carbon fibre bonnet
    Ditch bullbars
    Remove spot lights

Comment

how about only filling the tank to half full

Comment

Give it to Tony for a few hours ......

Life is too important to take seriously !

Comment

Originally posted by Andy W
          Ditch bullbars
          Remove spot lights
          Ditch Bullbars and remove Spot lights!!!!!!!!! Are you for real? Do you need to see someone? lol spot lights and bullbars were made for my truck!
          THE ORIGINAL CRAZY BITCH!

Comment

Don't want to ditch the bullbars or spots cause they give my Surf a more aggressive look, and they're handy to stand on when messing with the engine!! I was maybe thinking lighter seats and removing things which aren't needed. Already taken out the A.C. Anyone want it ?

Comment

Don't want to ditch the bullbars or spots cause they give my Surf a more aggressive look, and they're handy to stand on when messing with the engine!! I was maybe thinking lighter seats and removing things which aren't needed. Already taken out the A.C. Anyone want it ?
              You may not fancy removing them, but not only would they yield a greater weight saving that the change to lighter seats but it will restore the aerodynamics. Not to say its an aerodynamic vehicle, but bullbars & spots will without doubt greatly increase the drag.
              If you have window visors remove them too, I've seen it quoted that on some vehicles these can cause up to 6% extra fuel consumtion! If they can cause this, just think what a large wrapround bullbar could cause.
              Maurice
              Hilux Surf FAQ at www.hiluxsurf.eu

Comment

Didn't realise they had so much drag!! Handy when you're having a smoke when it's raining especially in slow traffic.

Comment

I just tell the family to get out and walk - easy innit?
                  Dave

Comment

You could always panel beat it into the shape of a Ferrari...... just a suggestion like !
                    Who needs speed, People will always wait for me !

Comment

What about the reducing the weight of your right foot.? Take off the lead boot.
                      Take off the spare wheel, ( who needs it? how often you going to use that )
                      As already suggested keep the fuel levels low

Alternately, sell your Surf and buy a Smart or a Matiz or something. If you dont want that, stop actually driving the Surf. just leave it the drive for admiration purposes. That way you can even start adding stuff to make it look more macho than ever without spending a penny on fuel and therefore worrying about MPG.

Only other option is to get therapy of some sort that will ultimately lead to accept that you own a heavy lump of metal with the aerodynamic characteristics of a house brick

I think my Surf is great and dont really care that much about its mpg. Deep down I bet you actually feel the same

Bogus
                      Сви можемо

Comment

fit 12" wheels......those big uns weigh a helluva lot.....

Comment

Dont carry a beast in the first place Oh good shot sir

Comment

Make sure youve just been to the loo before you drive it.

Let some air out the tyres, very heavy stuff is air

strip all the paint off, over 4kg of paint on average 4x4

Comment

fill tyres with helium

Comment

Working...
                              X