• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• I bet Clarkson is kicking himself!

More headroom in this one.........

Originally posted by BUSHWHACKER
    More headroom in this one.........
    Waht is it? It looks too low, even for green laning.
    It's only a hobby!

Comment

It looks a bit like the Ford GT40....but i'm probably wrong

Comment

Originally posted by kitesurf_phil
        Waht is it? It looks too low, even for green laning.
        Na phil it will even get under locked five bar gate
        Enjoying Life after Cancer
        Pops

Comment

Originally posted by 30Surfer
          It looks a bit like the Ford GT40....but i'm probably wrong

Yep it is.

Just as development work was winding down on the iconic Ford GT, one of the vehicle's key engineers wondered: "What's next?"

Ford Motor Co. will unveil one possibility this week at the annual Specialty Equipment Market Association show when the wraps come off the X-1, a Ford GT with an open cockpit.

Kip Ewing, GT Engineering Supervisor Said:
          To me, the ultimate expression of any great sports car is the open version

Using a die-cast scale model of the GT, Ewing fabricated an X-1 version to show his ideas in three dimensions.

Hau Thai-Tang, chief engineer for the new Ford Mustang and now director of Ford's special vehicles team, which focuses on performance vehicles, gave Ewing the go-ahead to build the X-1 for the SEMA show. Ewing worked with Wisconsin coachbuilder Mark Gerisch and his Gennadi Design Group on the X-1 body conversion with its unique, removable roof panels.

Through Ford's SEMA liaison team and Ford corporate design, Ewing found accessory and performance parts makers, known as aftermarket suppliers, to participate on other custom components, such as the X-1's 6061 alloy wheels, Sony audio system, Sparco seats and Brembo brakes. The car also has a Ford Racing/Borla exhaust system, Pirelli tires and special Valencia Yellow paint with Tungsten Silver striping.

Thai-Tang Said:The Ford GT X-1 project is a great example of manufacturers working together with the aftermarket to stretch the boundaries and investigate potential design and product innovation. There is something to be learned by going through this process.

Like the GT itself, the X-1 harks to Ford's history. The original GT40 racecar was inspired by the open-topped, 1962 "Mustang" concept car. In 1965, a handful of GT roadsters were built. One raced at Le Mans; two had experimental aluminum chassis and were dubbed X-1. Will you be able to buy an X-1 someday?

Kip Ewing Said:It's a car for SEMA, but it shows there's room left for the development of the car.

Comment

I hope they do build it. but better start working on the bugs before they sell it this time!!

Comment

Clarkson got a refund on his car.. oh the powers of being a journo! and the cash... fame... big house in the country...

me bitter....

DAMM RIGHT!!! LOL
              TeaM BOFA4x4 Mac 2008

www.bofa4x4.com

Comment

An ex R.A.F. jet fighter lawn ornament

Comment

Sorry guys...

just like the original GT40... simple tastes me...

Comment

Working...
                  X