water loss

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• water loss

ole well gutted already lolo picked up surf knz130 3.0td automatic ld 1994 yesturday check all fluid levels etc ( went over the car for about a hour before i bought it) any way got it home from thetford to thurrock essex no problems check levels all correct.........then check my levels this morning oil was good no gundge the expantion tank water was fine.........then checked rad and it needed a good 3/4 of a ltr or water and on the top of the rad core looked like white deposits does anyone have clue please as feeling very very ****ed off right now ...does any surf mchanis live close by? it was private sale and to be honest a gorgeous car so certainly want to keep it

I'd top it up, then keep an eye on it every morning. If it need repeatedly topping up, you may have a leak or busted head gasket, get a local garage to pressure test the cooling system, this will highlight any leaks in the hoses, or prove a problem with the head gasket.

Don't worry about the expansion tank level to much, only if its overflowing, checking the rad level is the important bit to make sure its holding water.

The coolant might have been changed recently, you often need to top up the next day or few days after changing the water as any small air pockets work there way round to the rad.
    4x4toys.co.uk - Keeping you on and off the road...

Comment

Originally posted by TonyN
      I'd top it up, then keep an eye on it every morning. If it need repeatedly topping up, you may have a leak or busted head gasket, get a local garage to pressure test the cooling system, this will highlight any leaks in the hoses, or prove a problem with the head gasket.

Don't worry about the expansion tank level to much, only if its overflowing, checking the rad level is the important bit to make sure its holding water.

The coolant might have been changed recently, you often need to top up the next day or few days after changing the water as any small air pockets work there way round to the rad.
      thankyou! if it is for aguement sake head is it expensive to do?

Comment

Originally posted by bootuk
        thankyou! if it is for aguement sake head is it expensive to do?
        I've know a few 3.0 blow a head gasket, ours being one, very rarely any issues with the head but it does happen like most cars will if its got to hot.

A genuine head gasket is about £65 from Roughtrax, or £90ish from Toyota, and the rest is labour.

If worst comes to worst, and the head is stuffed, its about £800 for a new built head plus gaskets plus labour charge.

Good luck.

4x4toys.co.uk - Keeping you on and off the road...

Comment

Working...
        X