spring change

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• spring change

When the rain eventually stops I going to try and replace my rear springs.
    On the forum it does not sound to difficult. firstly do I have to have
    spring compressors, and secondly is there any pit falls to look out for.
    I am only using milners 20% stronger springs, so i hope a standard fit

If you can lift the back of the truck high enough, there should be no need for the spring compressors. Lift the rear end up as high as poss. place axel stands under the chassis or towbar and a trolly jack under the rear diff. disconnect everything obvious to let the axel droop down far enough to take / replace the springs.

Comment

Originally posted by BUSHWHACKER
      If you can lift the back of the truck high enough, there should be no need for the spring compressors. Lift the rear end up as high as poss. place axel stands under the chassis or towbar and a trolly jack under the rear diff. disconnect everything obvious to let the axel droop down far enough to take / replace the springs.
      Is it that easy

Comment

Yep, It did take me a little longer to do mine 'cos the new springs were about four inches longer than the ones I took out!
        One top tip, is remove the wheel on the side you are doing first, as there is a bit more room and you can press down on the rear brake drum with your knee, to push the axel down to aid getting spring in.
        heres some pics to help....
        http://www.toyotasurf.asn.au/techsit...marketsusp.htm

Comment

Originally posted by BUSHWHACKER
          Yep, It did take me a little longer to do mine 'cos the new springs were about four inches longer than the ones I took out!
          One top tip, is remove the wheel on the side you are doing first, as there is a bit more room and you can press down on the rear brake drum with your knee, to push the axel down to aid getting spring in.
          heres some pics to help....
          http://www.toyotasurf.asn.au/techsit...marketsusp.htm
          Thanks vince much appreciated

Comment

Just a word of warning about the above link.Do not support the vehicle with jacks and blocks as illustrated.Use chassis/axle stands of appropriate size or get someone with the proper equipment to do the job.I personally think the procedure illustrated in this is dangerous.

Nev

Comment

I think that procedure for raising a two tonne vehicle off the ground for working on is perfectly acceptable.................... as long you don't go within twenty five metre radius of it!

Comment

Originally posted by NiftyNev
                Just a word of warning about the above link.Do not support the vehicle with jacks and blocks as illustrated.Use chassis/axle stands of appropriate size or get someone with the proper equipment to do the job.I personally think the procedure illustrated in this is dangerous.

Nev
                Girly! Where's your sence of adventure!!!!

That a great pic init! I remember the outrage when it first appeared on the 'net.
                4x4toys.co.uk - Keeping you on and off the road...

Comment

My fave was the guy with his pickup tilted at a 50deg angle, the roof leaning against a wall cushioned by a mattress and two fence posts holding it up. Top quality.
                  It's only a hobby!

Comment

to do my rear springs i did al that but also had to stand on the hub and push myself down by pulling on the wheel arch while my mate pulled the springs out.

we used 2 logs balanced on end instead of an axle stand.
                    nee nar nee nar, i'm a fire engine!

Comment

It only took me two days to change my springs and I'm an idiot (cos I disconnected a radius arm and put the whole back axle out of alignment).

Don't disconnect a radius arm!!
                      It's only a hobby!

Comment

Working...
                      X