Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• When to use 4 x 4

Just a quick question.
    I know that 2nd gens should'nt use 4wd on tarmac, but yesterday on the way into work, it was bucketing it down and every couple of miles or so I was aquaplaning all over the place in the standing water. My question is ... on relatively straight roads, ie the A37 Yeovil to Bristol, would it help/inprove things if I push the little button on the H/L lever. Take it off on any tight bends, there are a couple, but on gentle bends is it ok. Got to admit not used any of the extra levers and buttons yet.

Keith

I'm assuming the H/L lever is for high or low ratio gears, which aren't much use on the road as selecting low ratio will only give you more low down power for negotiating steep gradients at very low speeds...

I'm not sure (I haven't got a Surf yet, next 2 weeks) about the 4wd though, if it's selective and you're aquaplaning in 2wd then i'd suggest you put it in 4wd, the extra grip will help but not much....

Otherwise i'd suggest letting your right foot up off the throttle just a tad
    ––––•(-• Blueberry Skint •-)•––––

Comment

Originally posted by KeithP
      Just a quick question.
      I know that 2nd gens should'nt use 4wd on tarmac, but yesterday on the way into work, it was bucketing it down and every couple of miles or so I was aquaplaning all over the place in the standing water. My question is ... on relatively straight roads, ie the A37 Yeovil to Bristol, would it help/inprove things if I push the little button on the H/L lever. Take it off on any tight bends, there are a couple, but on gentle bends is it ok. Got to admit not used any of the extra levers and buttons yet.

Keith

What sort of tyres are fitted to your truck? I have mud terrains and have no probs.

Comment

The only way to stop aqauplaning is to slow down. I was given that advice by a high authority on the subject.
        It's only a hobby!

Comment

Originally posted by kitesurf_phil
          The only way to stop aqauplaning is to slow down. I was given that advice by a high authority on the subject.
          M62 - standing water kinda creeps up on ya...nealry got caught out bad on there a few times...just no way of teling in the dark and 70 mph is enough !

I just back right off the throttle, and keep the wheel as cool as possible till its over.

yep you guessed it - winter duellers.
          Nili secundum desperandum

Comment

Firestone Duellers on the truck, trouble was only doing 55/60 ish. Had them fitted, not knowing what was best cause I don't go mud plugging just high road mileage, 500+ per week.

Keith

Comment

Working...
            X