manual or auto best for towing?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• manual or auto best for towing?

as above, which is going to be the best bet as i can imagine clutches being quite expensive to do on these + wouldnt last as long if towing.
    Is there anything that can go wrong with the auto box? anyone ever had problems with theres?
    thanks
    Jay

Hi Jay,

If you use the search button you will find a lot of information about towing. As to manual/auto, I have towed thousands of miles with manuals and this is my first Auto and I definately wouldn't go back!! It is so much easier, starting off is always smooth and controlled, trickling around to manouevre is easy, there is some debate with hills, but a went up plenty of them this year with a ton and a quarter of van behind and just left the box to its own devices but if you are getting impatient just switch off overdrive or use the ECT button and you will fly up hills.
    I guess the key is the mass of low down torque, the car never seems to struggle, my 3rd Gen returns about 24mpg towing, mainly at around 60 on the motorway and that did include an awful lot of long hills.

Hope that helps

Keith

Comment

The 2.4 auto is no slug either when it comes to towing. Ours tows our Abbey County Dorset with no problems (except when I had an airlock in the cooling system). As said before, just let the auto box do its thing.
      It's only a hobby!

Comment

while both are ok.. the auto provides low down torque which as you guessed is better for towing, rather than speed. Although on these beasties I've not had problem with towing an IFor Double Axeled Horse Trailer loaded with Bales of Hay and other stuff.
        Gaz

Comment

Working...
        X