Dodgy e-mail from e-bay

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Dodgy e-mail from e-bay

I've just received this, and think its a bit dodgy . I thought whenever e-bay sent out an e-mail they would address it to whatever your e-bay account name is. I know that I haven't changed anything recently, so it seems a bit odd! What do you guys think? Should I forward it back to e-bay.
    Subject: A19 TKO NOTICE: Account Billing Error

Dear eBay Customer,

During our regularly scheduled account maintenance and verification procedures,we have detected a slight error in your billing information.
    This might be due to either of the following reasons:

1.A recent change in your personal information (i.e change of address)
    2.Submitting invalid information during the initial sign up process.
    3.An inability to accurately verify your selected option of payment due to an internal error

Please update and verify your information by clicking the link below.
    https://my.ebay.co.uk/saw-cgi/eBayISAPI.dll?AccVerify

If your account information will not be updated within 48 hours it may cause suspension of your account.
    Regards,

Customer Support (Trust and Safety Department)
    eBay Inc
    Jez

it's a scam to get you to re-enter your information.... forward it to ebay if you like but I'll bet they are aware of it already... I receive these from time to time as well and my account is working fine.

an easy way to see the actual address that these links point to is to hover your mouse over it and it'll showup in the status bar in the bottom of your browser... most go to some strange domains!

hth

Comment

yes - scam

I got similar email this week - the website it took you to was subtly different to ebay - and server it connected to was wrong.
      i was aware of these emails before i got it, so looked out of interest to see how authentic the link was - didnt enter account details of course
      Landcruiser Colorado
      Sub. Forester

Comment

Any mail that asks for personal details just forward to the spoof address at ebay.............. dont click on any of the links........
        Latest one I had was very convincing looking, telling me I had become a powerseller.............very unlikely as I only buy on ebay

Comment

Originally posted by DaveD
          Any mail that asks for personal details just forward to the spoof address at ebay.............. dont click on any of the links........
          Latest one I had was very convincing looking, telling me I had become a powerseller.............very unlikely as I only buy on ebay
          as a matter of course now I forward them all to spoof@ebay.co.uk they probably know about it but if enough forward them on they might get pi$$y enough to do something about it hopefully!!
          Did I mention I have a BLUE one
          Tony

Comment

Originally posted by fatfires
            as a matter of course now I forward them all to spoof@ebay.co.uk they probably know about it but if enough forward them on they might get pi$$y enough to do something about it hopefully!!
            yeha spoof or spam@ebay.co.uk will do it. At least youve tried to help even if it doesnt .
            eBay will ask stuff via your actual seller name ie not "dear seller" etc.
            Tim
            Break It,Fix It,Repeat,Break It,Fix It,Repeat

Comment

ebay hummmm..
              I hade my credit card hit for £1170. a few weeks after setting up my paypal account never had a problem before . ??
              john..
              i bust things ,, it a skill i have ,,( need help?)

Comment

To check if a mail is a spoof/scam look at your ebay messages when logged on ebay, as ebay will send you a message to your ebay user name and to your email. if its only in your email then delete it after forwarding its header, body text details to ebay. if in doubt report it anyway and they will tell you if its real or fake. Ive had 2 or 3 of them so far.
                BEWARE OF THE REAPER

Comment

dont forget there is also the paypal version, i think these are 'good' scams as they have at least gone to some effort to come up with something you might believe, the old bank ones just lacked quality of design and were ill thought through.
                  Anyway, just going to arrange my mortgage at 2.2% of $750,000 meaning just a few $150 monthly repayments then i'll invest in the penny stock market as i have been sent a favourable report on American Connical Developments (stock ref: ACON). Best get my order for cy$all[15 as the wholesale rate is only valid for a limited period, lucky General Gumph will be depositing US $22 million dollars (twenty two million dollars US) into my bank account- im doing him a favour- or i wouldnt be able to take advantage of the offer.
                  www.thegamingunion.co.uk

Comment

Originally posted by sam
                    dont forget there is also the paypal version, i think these are 'good' scams as they have at least gone to some effort to come up with something you might believe, the old bank ones just lacked quality of design and were ill thought through.
                    Anyway, just going to arrange my mortgage at 2.2% of $750,000 meaning just a few $150 monthly repayments then i'll invest in the penny stock market as i have been sent a favourable report on American Connical Developments (stock ref: ACON). Best get my order for cy$all[15 as the wholesale rate is only valid for a limited period, lucky General Gumph will be depositing US $22 million dollars (twenty two million dollars US) into my bank account- im doing him a favour- or i wouldnt be able to take advantage of the offer.
                    You been going through my e-mithers?
                    I am the privelaged person who gets advanced notification of all the world deals!
                    Only I can make $1000plus a week and not even leave my house.
                    And I am also able to Calais for only £5!
                    Wonder how much they want for all of France, then I could buy it and sink it
                    Back in the world of Surfdom

Comment

any e-mail from ebay will start will address you by your username, not "ebay customer".

On the subject of annoying scams, my Wife had some keep calling saying she had won a free holiday, an obvious timeshare scam. She kept telling them to go forth and mulitply but they still kept calling. The other Sunday morning they rang, I answered and they asked to speak to her, I said "I'll just get her.......Have you heard the good news?" "What good news?" "Jesus loves you!.....Do you love Jesus?" It followed on with 20 minutes of me spouting on about the joys of loving Jesus while they were telling me they didn't believe, I invited them to pray with me etc etc, they went without ever speaking to Wifey & so far haven't called back. I was dying with laughter I can't wait for the next cold call, I've got an even better story lined up. Hours of endless fun!
                      Parts of your engine go up, stop then go back! Mm!

Comment

Originally posted by Djandco
                        Wonder how much they want for all of France, then I could buy it and sink it
                        If it is too much, let the forum know and we'll have a whip-round.

Then we could auction "Who pushes the button to sink France" for charity.
                        Peter

I am not a number. I am a FREE MAN!

Comment

Originally posted by TJG
                          {excellent response to scam callers snipped}!

Peter

I am not a number. I am a FREE MAN!

Comment

Working...
                          X