Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Convince me to buy a Hilux

Hello people,
    I'm looking at buying a Hilux. At the moment i've got a Mitsubishi FTO and I love it to bits but practicality of my vehicle's come into play now my dads selling his car i've not got anything to go fishing in So im on the prowl for a new motor and at the moment the Hilux is at the top of the list. So just a few questions guys, whats the cause of the overheating problems that I keep reading about? Which is the most economical model? and whats the insurance like with them being imports? Thanx in advance

http://www.yotasurf.co.uk/forums/showthread.php?t=1311

http://www.yotasurf.co.uk/forums/showthread.php?t=14392
    Only the 2.4's to watch

And
    http://www.yotasurf.co.uk/forums/sho...&highlight=mpg

Insurance for me is £320 fully comp, for a 3L v6 and £280 for a diesel, 33 and full no claims.

There's a search facility at the top of the page too , also a faq page.

But I say just buy one ! 3 litre 2nd gen would be best (black's best)

Andy.
    Last edited by bobafatass; 10 October 2005, 21:01.

Comment

convincing enough !!!

Convince you to buy a Hilux......!!!!

Buy one or we'll send the boys round...!!!!!!!..

Insurance wise I have a '95 3.0L KZN130 and I've been insured with Direct Line and it's now costing me £448 fully comp a year...compared to a FTO it'll probably be a lot cheaper...

Comment

Im insure with Adrian Flux at the moment so i'm gonna see what they can do for me tomorrow

Comment

The Surf makes a good fishing car. Mine carries all our gear in comfort and tows the boat as well! Can even carry my ready made up 12' carp rods so I can arrive at the venue and cast straight out (no fiddling around trying to tackle up in darkness!).

Get the 3.0L diesel and you won't have any overheating problems, ecconomy is the same for both- expect to average around 24-25 mpg.

Comment

So am I right in thinking that the heads cracking is inevitable? How much am I looking at to get a new set fitted?

Comment

24-25 mpg Thats about the same as my FTO

Comment

Dave - I was in a similar situation to you when I bought mine. I had a high performance car that I had to face was no good for carrying the building materials for our house renovation.
                I bought the Surf while looking for a pickup - I saw one and thought it was the best looking 4x4 I'd seen and practical, so I logged on here, got some advice and bought a 3.0. We've never looked back. We're both 28 and its only £380 fully comp and protected.
                Economy is okish - about 24/25 and I don't think there's much difference between the 2.4 and 3.0.
                Parts are cheap as chips though, especially service parts such as filters and belts etc. And that's it really... oh other then the great owners club
                Real trucks don't have spark plugs

Comment

Originally posted by dave c
                  24-25 mpg Thats about the same as my FTO

Have a gander at moss4x4cars.com, down on moss industrial estate to give you a flavour of the vehicles available.
                  Gaz

Comment

So am I right in thinking that the heads cracking is inevitable? How much am I looking at to get a new set fitted?
                    Heads cracking is not inevitable. It affects about 20% of 2.4s. If you get one that has had a modded head fitted in the UK it should be pretty well bomb proof.

A DIY bare head will set you back about £500. Getting one supplied and fitted around £1500 - 1800
                    It's only a hobby!

Comment

only inevitable on the 2.4 sometimes! - go for the 3.0l the problem doesnt exist plus more power, similar MPG, all round a nicer motor
                      drive one - that will convince you, even makes a grumpy old f@rt like me smile
                      Did I mention I have a BLUE one
                      Tony

Comment

No, that's not right. On the 2.4 it is reasonably common for the heads to go, they seem to have a weakspot. But if you use the search you should find lots of threads discussing it which should answer your questions. Certainly it is not innevitable.

Comment

Convince me to buy a Hilux you say

you go test drive one then see if you buy one and then watch out for the
                          Enjoying Life after Cancer
                          Pops

Comment

oh and if your easily amused then the first week of ownership will consist of driving around operating the back window from the switch up front:

"window goes down"
                            "window goes up"
                            "window goes down"
                            "window goes up"

Even better if you've got a big dog to stick it's head out at the car behind!

Comment

Originally posted by Gizmo
                              Have a gander at moss4x4cars.com, down on moss industrial estate to give you a flavour of the vehicles available.
                              I work on that estate, gonna have a gander this week

Comment

Working...
                              X