Interior misting/condensation problem

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Interior misting/condensation problem

My Surf's windows are streaming with condensation since this wet spell, trouble is why, I have been all over the interior and it's bone dry yet every evening the inside of the glass is wet. Do they all suffer like this or is there something I'm missing ? I want to sort this out before it starts to get cold and have to scrape ice from the INSIDE as well.
    John
    [size=4][font=franklin gothic medium][color=lime]Every Day Above Ground is a Good Day[/color][/font][/size]
    [img]http://www.vertueren.gb.com/welshflag.gif[/img] [color=red]Gods Country[/color]

I've heard that aircon'ed cars leave a film on the windows after a while, is a bugger to get off and causes misting up.

Not 100% sure, 'praps someone else can add anything.
    4x4toys.co.uk - Keeping you on and off the road...

Comment

That happens to me when I leave a window open during the day while she's parked up. Also might sound like a obvious one - do you have the knob on the heater controls set to 'outside air please' as opposed to 'recycled air please' ??

Comment

Originally posted by TonyN
        I've heard that aircon'ed cars leave a film on the windows after a while, is a bugger to get off and causes misting up.

Not 100% sure, 'praps someone else can add anything.

Yep think thats true, both my car and surf do it, use windowlean the clear squeezy bottle one which has vinegar in it. Once a week clean eaves them sparkling clean no haze and the windows clear a treat.
        Say not always what you know, but always know what you say.

My 4x4
        My choice
        Back off

Comment

Originally posted by JimL
          'outside air please' as opposed to 'recycled air please' ??
          Damn, these Japanese are polite! our UK Toyota only says Recycled air, etc, no 'please' in site!

Comment

i think some couple kip in it at night while your asleep
            (\__/)
            (='.'=) SQUIRREL MUNCHER GRRRRRRR
            (")_(")

Comment

Originally posted by rockey
              My Surf's windows are streaming with condensation since this wet spell, trouble is why, I have been all over the interior and it's bone dry yet every evening the inside of the glass is wet. Do they all suffer like this or is there something I'm missing ? I want to sort this out before it starts to get cold and have to scrape ice from the INSIDE as well.
              John
              try going for a long run and leave the air con running warm with fan on recirculate, this should remove all the moisture in the air inside, if it steams up by the morning, then there is moisture inside, or getting in, check the carpets near the tailgate, check the windows are all closing shut, check theres no gaps in the door seals (unlikely to be the heater matrix, if the matrix was leaking, you'd smell it), also, it may seem obvious, but if you get into the car and your clothing is damp (after rain), or if you are using the car for short runs, in damp cold weather, then you can expect condensation inside, as the air inside will be very humid, and as the outside temp changes, the humid air will condense on the glass, it's surprising how much moisture is in expelled breath alone.
              [COLOR=red]Simon [/COLOR] '91 2.4td ssr-x

Comment

I believe they would say:

"ou-si eh plee" and "ree-sicol eh plee"

Comment

Originally posted by JimL
                  I believe they would say:

"ou-si eh plee" and "ree-sicol eh plee"
                  Having been watching Jackie Chan movies all weekend, thats really funny!

Comment

Originally posted by TonyN
                    Damn, these Japanese are polite! our UK Toyota only says Recycled air, etc, no 'please' in site!

See Tony....... buy the Halfords spec model you get EVERYTHING !!!!!
                    [center][font=Microsoft Sans Serif][size=7][color=magenta][u][b][img]http://www.gifs.net/animate/hipgrl12.gif[/img][/b][/u][/color][/size] [img]http://www.gifs.net/animate/hipmn1.gif[/img][/font][/center][center][img]http://homepage.ntlworld.com/jim_ashton/shyAV5.jpg[/img][/center][center][b][color=#ff00ff][size=7][u]E[/u][/size][u][size=5]ms [/size][size=5]&[/size][size=7] J[/size][size=5]im[/size][/u][/color][/b][/center]

Comment

Wow, that was all technical!

On a simpler tangent, do you have the standard fluffy carpet mats?

If you have then you might find that they are damp everytime you get out of the Surf after getting in with wet feet and that could be where the moisture is coming from.

Rich.
                      If life's an uphill struggle then downhill from now on can't be that bad?!

Comment

Mine does it too, and so did the only other car I ever had with air con..... which suggests to me that it is something to do with the aircon. Mine clears very quickly tho with air con and outside air selected.

On the other hand it did get very wet at the weekend so I guess there could still be moisture in the air although the mats etc are dry
                        Linda

www.4x4toys.co.uk

Comment

While we are on this subject I have a question.
                          Last weekend was the first time I had opened the tailgate, since Devils Pit and there was a dried up sludge of mud up to the edge of the carpet. It was across 2/3 of the tailgate width. Is there supposed to be some sort of bottom seal?
                          By the way mine doesnt mist up. Probably all that fresh air coming in the back
                          It's only a hobby!

Comment

Originally posted by kitesurf_phil
                            While we are on this subject I have a question.
                            Last weekend was the first time I had opened the tailgate, since Devils Pit and there was a dried up sludge of mud up to the edge of the carpet. It was across 2/3 of the tailgate width. Is there supposed to be some sort of bottom seal?
                            By the way mine doesnt mist up. Probably all that fresh air coming in the back
                            When we had the covers of the inside of the tailgate for a while, I noticed the bottem edge of the tailgate didn't quite touch the seal, leaving a small gap. the inside bottem of the tailgate needed tugging out slightly to meet the seal, now its much quieter when the rear seats are folded down. I guess 3 people sitting/standing on the tailgate has bent the inner skin of the tailgate in slightly and it didn't touch the seal properly.

Comment

I did leave outside air selected which maybe the cause, I don't think the aircon thought is right, my last 3 cars have all had aircon and weren't affected, but I will give the screens a good clean with some alcohol just in case
                              John
                              [size=4][font=franklin gothic medium][color=lime]Every Day Above Ground is a Good Day[/color][/font][/size]
                              [img]http://www.vertueren.gb.com/welshflag.gif[/img] [color=red]Gods Country[/color]

Comment

Working...
                              X