No announcement yet.

I wanna be a Surfer! Hello one & all :)

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• I wanna be a Surfer! Hello one & all :)

Hi Guys and Gals,

I want a Hilux Surf - tis that simple. Mainly to drive from my house to the station everyday, but also for camping, windsurfing and laneing!!

However I cant find any info from UK websites...
    What do the letters mean like EFI , SSR , LTD etc etc

I've got my eye on one from here :
    www.ggg.co.uk
    (Grosvenor garage)
    the very last and cheapest one on the bottom of the stock page - i'm sure you've answered most of these questions before, but i really would like to know :
    a) service intervals
    b) do the rear seats fold down
    c) performance / fuel stats
    d) is that an ok price
    e) anyone bought from that dealer before?

i've tried searching on the site and the web - but to not much avail,

i already own a Toyota so i know with a bit of care they will be bullet proof - and i'm always on the mmm.mkivsupra.net website as well ,
    but hopefully i'll be on this one from this weekend onwards (when i go to look at the Surf above)

Thanks for any info & help

Tony
    1993 Toyota Supra MkIV 3.0l Twin Turbo (Jspec) Storm Blue Auto
    [u]Wants[/u]: New Battery, Rear wheel rebalancing

1990 Golf MkIII 1.8 GL 5 door 1.8 GL Maroon Auto
    [u]Wants[/u]: To be a HILUX Surf

http://www.compucars.co.uk/ggg/sales/default.asp

is a better link to thier stock

Comment

Originally posted by FaithStalker
      Hi Guys and Gals,

I want a Hilux Surf - tis that simple. Mainly to drive from my house to the station everyday, but also for camping, windsurfing and laneing!!

However I cant find any info from UK websites...
      What do the letters mean like EFI , SSR , LTD etc etc

I've got my eye on one from here :
      www.ggg.co.uk
      (Grosvenor garage)
      the very last and cheapest one on the bottom of the stock page - i'm sure you've answered most of these questions before, but i really would like to know :
      a) service intervals
      b) do the rear seats fold down
      c) performance / fuel stats
      d) is that an ok price
      e) anyone bought from that dealer before?

i've tried searching on the site and the web - but to not much avail,

i already own a Toyota so i know with a bit of care they will be bullet proof - and i'm always on the mmm.mkivsupra.net website as well ,
      but hopefully i'll be on this one from this weekend onwards (when i go to look at the Surf above)

Thanks for any info & help

Tony
      Tony.

OK.

EFI means it has either the 2.4TDI Electronic Fuel Injection Diesel (otherwise known as a 2LTE engine). There are various trim and equipment levels from

SSR
      SSRV (rarer)
      SSR Limited
      SSR-X
      SSR-G

SSR-G is top of the range and has generally recaro seats, fake wood dash, rear mounted spare, rear high level spoiler, also some 3 litres have cruise control.

However a lot of SSR-Xs have a lot of extra options and infact you will also see some SSR-X Limited which I'm not sure is anything official.

Price can be anything from cheap to expensive more dependant on the condition, don't always believe mileages, and go for a 3 litre if you can. Anything from £4500 up should get you a 3 litre although they are out there for over 8K even 2nd Gens.

Surfs are available as 1st Gens (1980s based very much on the pickup), 2nd Gens (1989 to 1995) 3rd Gens (1995 - 2002), 4th Gen (2002 onwards. Most will be 2nd or 3rd gen ones, a considerable amount will be 2.4TDI with either 2LT (non EFI) or 2LTE (EFI). There is a history of head cracking on the 2.4 so get one with a good warranty or make sure the head is replaced with a new one (the new ones are modified). Replacing the head can cost from about £700 if you do it yourself to about £2000 if you get someone to do it for you. It is a 14 - 16 hour job.

Hope that this helps.

Edit.

OK looked at the site now. The one you pointed out is a Petrol not diesel so EFI means I think that it has the 22RE engine which is a good engine and based on the one in the early Celicas. Pretty bomb proof and very modable.

Seems a good price and it is a 1st gen. In my opinion, get it before someone beats you to it. SSR Ltd on the first gen is the same as SSR-X on the 2nd Gen, sort of mid spec. The second Gens have more toys but the 1st gens are just so much cooler. Plus you can take the back off and run it as a real toy off road. Plus it has solid axles front and rear so it will be a lot better off road with absolutely massive articulation possible and easy mods like spring overs, lifts with re arched springs or parabolics for comfort and good travel. If I didn't already have a 2nd Gen that sucks up all my money, I'd buy it before you could.

Cheers
      Last edited by lucky; 26 November 2003, 13:13.

Comment

Thanks for the advice Lucky,
        much appreciated!!!!!!

I'm so excited about it - I'm calling the dealer now to get all the info,

That IMPORT FOG light at the back looks crap - I'll change that to be a reverse light instead.....

You say the back can be removed?
        Does this mean that you cannot access the rear cabin through the back?

i wouldnt mind that as i would have some very long Masts/Equipment to go in there - but for the price i guess i could live with buying a roof rack and putting them up there instead.
        I'm assuming that i can get some kind of roof bars for them ?

Ohhhhh mod's....engine.......springs. .....where will the spending stop

Comment

much appreciated!!!!!!

That IMPORT FOG light at the back looks crap - I'll change that to be a reverse light instead.....

i wouldnt mind that as i would have some very long Masts/Equipment to go in there - but for the price i guess i could live with buying a roof rack and putting them up there instead.

takes bit of time but we all talk the loves of our lives round in the end.[i mean the wife not the car]
          Enjoying Life after Cancer
          Pops

Comment

Just spoke to the dealer,

family business - ex Toyota mechanic - sound car,
            slight rub on the front wing panel,
            few dents on the roof,
            few cig burns on the interior,
            leather glovebox trim(???) worn, looks like an optional extra - i didnt understand what he was going on about with that really....
            173,000Kms (speedo not converted - doesnt need to be for MOTs)
            loadsa receipts - imported since 1999,
            Master cylinder replaced may 2002,
            removeable rear top
            small side-steps
            2 door
            4 seats
            no rear headrests
            toyota heavy duty winch,
            towbar
            regular service

i'm drooling now - waiting for Saturday to see it....

The things i'd need to do in order for me to be sure to buy it :
            - Roof Bars (time to search the web)
            - Handbook in English (I know where i can get these i think)
            - Hope its still there by Saturday !

yyyyyeeeeeehhhhhaaaaaaaaa

Comment

That IMPORT FOG light at the back looks crap - I'll change that to be a reverse light instead..... LEAVE IT ON - it's a kind of initiation ceremony to lose it the first time you go off road...

You still have access but the top comes off too...

Ohhhhh mod's....engine.......springs. .....where will the spending stop It won't
              Tony - sounds like you'll fit right in here and be at home very quickly!!!!
              Good luck at the weekend!!!
              Linda

www.4x4toys.co.uk

Comment

Just spoke to the dealer,

family business - ex Toyota mechanic - sound car,
                slight rub on the front wing panel,
                few dents on the roof,
                few cig burns on the interior,
                leather glovebox trim(???) worn, looks like an optional extra - i didnt understand what he was going on about with that really....
                173,000Kms (speedo not converted - doesnt need to be for MOTs)
                loadsa receipts - imported since 1999,
                Master cylinder replaced may 2002,
                removeable rear top
                small side-steps
                2 door
                4 seats
                no rear headrests
                toyota heavy duty winch,
                towbar
                regular service

i'm drooling now - waiting for Saturday to see it....

The things i'd need to do in order for me to be sure to buy it :
                - Roof Bars (time to search the web)
                - Handbook in English (I know where i can get these i think)
                - Hope its still there by Saturday !

yyyyyeeeeeehhhhhaaaaaaaaa
                Bob Hilux might be able to sort you out some roofbars, alternatively you could get some rails to fit the rear top - won't be desperately strong without some reinforcement but they do it on the truckman tops - you might want to try here www.autoanything.com they do some bolt on rails that could be reinforced from underneath, shipping to the UK is $75 - I already asked them. Don't worry about the the leather glovebox trim - it will be expensive to replace, just get it recovered in something nice and hardwearing like cnavas and get some matching canvas seatcovers, it will look like a real rough tough off roader then plus it will stand up to the abuses I hope you will want to put it through.

Few dents on the roof can be easily fixed or disguised by putting some really big lights on a light bar up there.

Cheers and good luck

Comment

looks tidy m8, mines a 91 2.4td ssr ltd, had it since July and i woudn,t swap cept for mebbe a 3.0ltr, as for camping the rear seats fold down and me and my son(6yrs) can kip in the back easily and with the rear heater on its well cosy, and i,m 6ft and 13stone, i think i seen a post that said it,s 6ft 2ins from tailgate to back of front seats.
                  Buy one, i doubt you will regret it.

ship

Comment

Originally posted by ship
                    looks tidy m8, mines a 91 2.4td ssr ltd, had it since July and i woudn,t swap cept for mebbe a 3.0ltr, as for camping the rear seats fold down and me and my son(6yrs) can kip in the back easily and with the rear heater on its well cosy, and i,m 6ft and 13stone, i think i seen a post that said it,s 6ft 2ins from tailgate to back of front seats.
                    Buy one, i doubt you will regret it.

ship
                    I've bought mine for the same reasons, being a kitesurfer and power kiter i needed room more than anything else, but the car is beyond my expectations, i met some of these guys at devils pit and was well imressed what the surf can do.

If you want a versatile car, its gotta be a surf, petrol comsumpton, doesn't come into to it..buy a 3.0ltr
                    Surfs were made for Power Kiters

www.powerkites.cjb.net

SSR-X 3.0TD 1996 "NOW DIRTY"

Comment

Hi Tony and welcome to surfizum. And a big :yes: Another 1st gen. That makes 3 you, fennman and me
                      go for it .
                      sumo
                      Last edited by sumo; 17 August 2007, 08:13.
                      If the puddles to deep..LEARN TO SCUBA.

Comment

I'm getting a little worried now,

Firstly i cant find any handbook sites that go back to Gen 1 Surfs for 1988,
                        I also have been to a number of sites for roof/rails and no one has the Surf listed - is it the same as a 4Runner?

Plus - insurance :-( it will have to go under my partners name and she only has 1 years NCD

Comment

I'm getting a little worried now,

Firstly i cant find any handbook sites that go back to Gen 1 Surfs for 1988,
                          I also have been to a number of sites for roof/rails and no one has the Surf listed - is it the same as a 4Runner?

Plus - insurance :-( it will have to go under my partners name and she only has 1 years NCD
                          Surf is the same as a 1st Gen 4 Runner, also forget the Handbook, you don't really need one, you could really do with a Workshop Manual and I think there is a Haynes one for the 1st Gen 4 Runner which should do it, other than that a Hilux Pickup Petrol will just about do you.

For insurance try the ones thta other people have tried posted in the FAQ section.

Cheers

Comment

much appreciated!!!!!!

When you've run out of money or they reposess your house!!
                            NO WORRIES!
                            Rusty

Comment

Join the SurfOlution !

I use mine to camp in and it makes those tent tottin hardknocks sick, especially with the new in board toilet mod I made.

Now I dont even have to get wet and cold goin out to pee !

And the kites go in and all the boards and wetties too ! nuff space for 3 surfers kits in there. i wanna take it to morocco !
                              Nili secundum desperandum

Comment

Working...
                              X