Ignition key release

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Ignition key release

My 3rd gen model Surf is still not releasing the ignition key from the accessory position after I switch off. I have filled the barrel with oil to no avail as it seems to be electrical. Can anyone point me in the right direction to check any connections or sensors that controll the release of the ignition key. At the moment parking it anywhere is a nightmare as I have to leave the keys in and lock it with a spare set. Although I do remove the immobiliser touch key it is still tempting to any little scroats walking past..

Any ideas?
    Visit all the Surfin Elkhounds at [url="http://www.malenibo.co.uk/"]www.malenibo.co.uk[/url]

Have you tried pushing the gear lever forwards when it's in park, then removing the key?
    Could be gearstick related.

Comment

Originally posted by BUSHWHACKER
      Have you tried pushing the gear lever forwards when it's in park, then removing the key?
      Could be gearstick related.
      ye just what i thought on auto,s they have a system that stops the key coming out if it,s not it the p position.a couple of things to check put it in p and take the handbrake of, does it roll or just stops this way you will see if it is going into p properly.the other thing and this what was caused it for me was the lever was sticking when putting it in p and stopping it going forward only buy a couple of mill but that was enuff to do it hope this helps
      I HAVE FOUND JESUS he was behind the sofa

Comment

You can also try putting the truck into neutral if park doesn't work. The key will not come out if it is in L, D etc.
        It's only a hobby!

Comment

Thanks for the swift replies. I have tried ramming it into P as I know there is some connection between P and the key coming out. sometimes it works sometimes it does not. There also seems to be some connection between the brake pedal and the gear selector as sometimes if my foot is on the brake when I switch off it just stops in the accessory position.

I have noticed today that if I put the gear selector into P and wait a little before I switch off the engine it releases the key as normal. I have to carry the spare set of keys as I never know when it is going to happen. Its so frustrating so I need your suggestions. Will investigate every option.
          Visit all the Surfin Elkhounds at [url="http://www.malenibo.co.uk/"]www.malenibo.co.uk[/url]

Comment

"There also seems to be some connection between the brake pedal and the gear selector as sometimes if my foot is on the brake when I switch off it just stops in the accessory position."
            That is by design as well. I stops you putting the truck into gear without your foot on the brake. Stops doggies and kiddies driving off if you leave the engine running.
            It's only a hobby!

Comment

Originally posted by Malenibo
              My 3rd gen model Surf is still not releasing the ignition key from the accessory position after I switch off. I have filled the barrel with oil to no avail as it seems to be electrical. Can anyone point me in the right direction to check any connections or sensors that controll the release of the ignition key. At the moment parking it anywhere is a nightmare as I have to leave the keys in and lock it with a spare set. Although I do remove the immobiliser touch key it is still tempting to any little scroats walking past..

Any ideas?
              Yeah, you can't go from ACC to off until the gear lever is in P, nothing else will do. So it definitly sounds like gear lever position that's causing the problem as already suggested. I know you need the footbrake on to release the gear lever from P but it doesn't work the other way round, you can put it in P at any time or speed (I know!).

Comment

Originally posted by Rob
                you can put it in P at any time or speed (I know!).
                what happens???.... i know reverse cuts the engine.
                nee nar nee nar, i'm a fire engine!

Comment

Originally posted by da SLUG man
                  what happens???.... i know reverse cuts the engine.
                  this has become like a game....
                  Tim
                  Break It,Fix It,Repeat,Break It,Fix It,Repeat

Comment

You know those clicky child proof tablet bottles - they click if you twist the cap without pushing down at the same time....
                    Sounds a lot like that but much louder and much faster!

Comment

Originally posted by Malenibo View Post
                      My 3rd gen model Surf is still not releasing the ignition key from the accessory position after I switch off.
                      Any ideas?
                      same problem here with my 3rd gen as of this week - the only way I can remove key is to re-start the engine for a second or two - then it behaves as normal. Anyone got a real answer to the problem?
                      If you're gonna be a bear... be a Grizzly.

Comment

If you type "ignition barrel, key stuck!!" into the search and go the last post in that thread you will see I have put a couple of pics of the sockets you need to disconnect. It will solve the problem for good and also will bypass the chime that comes on if you leave the key in and open the door.
                        It works.
                        Cheers

Comment

There is a wee linkage underneath the plastic cowl at the bottom of the shifter, if it gets cruddy or the button on top of the shifter gets sticky it wont release the key. Next time it sticks try flicking/pressing the button and release quickly to see if it works. If its the button spray some silicon spray down the sides of it.
                          Alan

yoshie "Didn't know they had a pill for laziness, anyway get well soon."

Comment

^^^ what he said.

Failing that pull the shifter cover off and look at the mechanism, the swith is at the front of the auto shifter... white plastic box...
                            More Lift.
                            More Tyres.
                            More Engine.

Comment

I had similar problem with my 3rd gen. Found that when the key was stuck if I disconnected the battery the key was released I.e. was an electrical fault. Also there was some drain on the battery. Pulled up the centre console and under the gear shifter was a couple of grey CPU type boxes. One was hot. Got my garage to change this, problem solved. Was £40 odd off Toyota.

Comment

Working...
                              X