horn problem in blaneau ffestiniog

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• horn problem in blaneau ffestiniog

my horn is not working the AA mans just left this is what he said .

1 the switch on the steering wheel is working
    2 i have a power feed to the horn from the fuse
    3 the actual horn is not working
    but he also checked the earth wire at the horn and said thats not working any ideas guys need this working are there any north wales surfers who might have a look for me im in blaenau ffestiniog

i was thinking could i replace the horn then find where the earth wire feeds out of the steering wheel to the horn and connect a new piece of wire from there to the horn sorry if this sounds amateur any help please

If I remember correctly (which at best is questionable) the negative wire is switched, not the live. So the negative wire would not work unless the horn switch is pressed.
    Try grounding the horn (on the negative side obviously otherwise your'll short the battery). If the horn does not sound, with the negative side still grounded, try running a known good live (a wire from the positive terminal of the battery) feed to the live terminal of the horn, if nothing happens throw the horn away it's nakered.
    Gone from 4x4 to 1x2

Comment

i know the horn is knackered but

Originally posted by Maverick
      If I remember correctly (which at best is questionable) the negative wire is switched, not the live. So the negative wire would not work unless the horn switch is pressed.
      Try grounding the horn (on the negative side obviously otherwise your'll short the battery). If the horn does not sound, with the negative side still grounded, try running a known good live (a wire from the positive terminal of the battery) feed to the live terminal of the horn, if nothing happens throw the horn away it's nakered.
      there seems to also be a problem with the negative wire somewhere bettween where it feeds from the switch on the steering wheel to the negative side of the horn . or is there a horn relay that might have blown?

Comment

There is a horn relay and fuse, should be in the underbonnet fuse/relay housing.

Comment

any ideas which is the relay and how you test it

Originally posted by lucky
          There is a horn relay and fuse, should be in the underbonnet fuse/relay housing.
          any ideas which is the relay and how you test it

Comment

that doesn't make any sense... is there +ve at the actual horn itself??
            nee nar nee nar, i'm a fire engine!

Comment

aa man said

Originally posted by da SLUG man
              that doesn't make any sense... is there +ve at the actual horn itself??
              there a positive feed at the horn and when the aa man connected the horn -across to the negative on the battery a beep should have been heard no beep so horn f*cked he tested the switch and said that was working then he tested the earth side of the wiring from ny the horn and said he thought theres a fault running from where it connects to the horn unit to the switchi didnt get it either he reckons relay might have gone or theres a wire fault on the earth side after it comes out the switch and b4 it hits the horn

Comment

I've just read through your first post and as far as I can work out, you called out the AA 'cos your horn didn't work? or have I missed something.

p.s. The horn is probably cattle trucked and a new on is only £6.

Comment

Originally posted by matthew coventry
                  there a positive feed at the horn and when the aa man connected the horn -across to the negative on the battery a beep should have been heard no beep so horn f*cked he tested the switch and said that was working then he tested the earth side of the wiring from ny the horn and said he thought theres a fault running from where it connects to the horn unit to the switchi didnt get it either he reckons relay might have gone or theres a wire fault on the earth side after it comes out the switch and b4 it hits the horn
                  i dunno... must be a different set up...
                  how many wires have you got at the horn?
                  usually just a +ve and then it earths through the body of the horn itself

why did you call the AA to fix your horn?

Comment

I know why my horn don't work.
                    It had a Skoda stuck on it!
                    Back in the world of Surfdom

Comment

because there very nice men

and i was having my sunday dinner and couldnt be arsed to do it myself also i had checked the fuses and ran out of ideas

Comment

they actually came out to look at it???

no wonder it's so expensive!

did you ever make enough money on ebay to feed the dog?

Comment

no he starved to death

they actually came out to look at it???

no wonder it's so expensive!

did you ever make enough money on ebay to feed the dog?
                          no he starved to death

Comment

Working...
                          X