A/T ot M/T???

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• A/T ot M/T???

my mum, bless her, is buying my baby a set of boots. I've got a choice of Kumho A/T or M/T.

Now the sensible one inside me says A/T is the one to go for, the 'I think they look better' person inside me says go for the M/T.

has anyone had any experiences on tarmac with the M/T in the wet or winter weather? (you can see which way I'm leaning... )
    Dave

if she bought the tyres, and you bought a set of steel wheels, you could swap them to 'suit conditions'...
    it's in me shed, mate.

Comment

I think M/t's may be a bit slippery on tarmac in the wet/ice... - look up winter dulers on here and there is a few dented surfs as a result...

I think the main problem is with the winter dulers is there from Japan and are not the same spec as english.

Depending on how much off road you do depends on which one you want really.

I have A/t's fitted.. i do light offroading and have never had a problem/got stuck (that could be somthing to do with my bottle though!), Even they can bve a bit slippy if you don't watch what you'r doing! i would imagine M/t's would be worse

I am fairly sure i'm right on this one but feel free to correct me if not!

Your final option is to have M/T's and go everywhere via fields - it'd be much more fun that way and you'd deffo have the right tyres!!!
      Paranoid? They're out to GET YOU!

Comment

Tyres

I have been running M/T's for a while now, and find them to be superb. Just remember you are driving a big heavy vehicle not a hot hatch. I would recommend them for all round use, slight increase in road noise and after 8500 miles no signs of wear.

Comment

Originally posted by Kev Makin
          I have been running M/T's for a while now, and find them to be superb. Just remember you are driving a big heavy vehicle not a hot hatch.
          damn - why didn't I think of that - Chillit don't you dare reply to that!!!!!

I did think of the spare wheels idea - but the Dragon has said no to that - Seriously I think it'll be the A/T ones. My BF A/Ts by the way have lasted over two years and 31000 miles with about 3 mm of tread left.
          Dave

Comment

I've had Coway m/ts fitted for over a year now and not once have I lost traction on a wet road, and I live in south Wales!

p.s. £180 for 4 delivered 31/10.5/r15.
            Last edited by BUSHWHACKER; 30 September 2005, 18:26.

Comment

That's impressive - not the living in S Wales but the other bit.

I've got one of those as my spare. I feel guilty having the money off my mum so couldn't ask for BF's lol.

as the Surf is now my only vehicle, and I carry family, dog etc etc I really think I should be sensible.

but...
              Dave

Comment

and sorry for any silly comments - it's because...

I'm on holiday tomorrow!!!!
                Dave

Comment

We've have 2 year old Kumho M/T's on the 4 runner and they are great. They have very good road holding for M/T's (ok they arnt road tyres so they wont be as good as road tyres, but I havent been able to make it slip driving it sensibly) Tony had 35" Kumho M/T's on the pick up as his road tyres for years - they still have lot of wear and are destined for the 2 door.

If you do a lot of road work I'd always say get A/T's as they generally perform fine offroad, and arnt so noisy on road (A?T's on Baby Bullet), BUT if you have been running BFG's you will notice the Kumho's A/T's are noisier on road (but they are half the price ...)

knowing you and the amount of road v mud you do I'd say go A/T.

PS have good hols - are you going to come and see us this time??
                  Linda

www.4x4toys.co.uk

Comment

On my old surf I had General Grabber A/T's:
                    http://www.showmesome.info/hilux/wor...eels_tyres.htm

They were o.k. but they did slip quite a few times in the wet (back end was occasionaly twitchy on sharp wet roundabouts even at slow speeds!) and even skidded on the dry a few times with hard braking.

For my new surf I got Kumho M/T's:
                    http://www.showmesome.info/hilux/workshop/mud_tyres.htm

And they have been faultless in wet and dry, not once have they even twitched under any circumstances yet. Well pleased with their performance (on and off road) and how they look. Read the site review for how I feel about the noise level etc... not a problem.
                    No longer a Surf owner.

Comment

And I still aint decided!!

the misses aint no help - all she says is get the best ones!
                      Dave

Comment

Originally posted by codlord
                        On my old surf I had General Grabber A/T's:
                        http://www.showmesome.info/hilux/wor...eels_tyres.htm

They were o.k. but they did slip quite a few times in the wet (back end was occasionaly twitchy on sharp wet roundabouts even at slow speeds!) and even skidded on the dry a few times with hard braking.

For my new surf I got Kumho M/T's:
                        http://www.showmesome.info/hilux/workshop/mud_tyres.htm

And they have been faultless in wet and dry, not once have they even twitched under any circumstances yet. Well pleased with their performance (on and off road) and how they look. Read the site review for how I feel about the noise level etc... not a problem.
                        i have a 2nd gen 3.0 and am in need of new tyres, with only 15 x 6 rims i am limited to 235 / 75 / 15 tyres and although my surf is used mostly on road i was interested to read that the Kumho 834's in your opinion are good ON road, i can get them for a very reasonable £63 fitted so before i order them are you still impressed ?
                        Bunkle
                        Fox Hunting is Dangerous

Comment

Originally posted by Bunkle
                          i have a 2nd gen 3.0 and am in need of new tyres, with only 15 x 6 rims i am limited to 235 / 75 / 15 tyres and although my surf is used mostly on road i was interested to read that the Kumho 834's in your opinion are good ON road, i can get them for a very reasonable £63 fitted so before i order them are you still impressed ?
                          Yes, I would deffo buy again - if you don't mind the extra noise (which is not a problem for me) then I would recommend them. They look good, they are excellent value and great on and off the road.
                          No longer a Surf owner.

Comment

Originally posted by codlord
                            Yes, I would deffo buy again - if you don't mind the extra noise (which is not a problem for me) then I would recommend them. They look good, they are excellent value and great on and off the road.
                            Is there much loss of mpg between AT or MT ?
                            Mark

Comment

on my 3 prevoius 4x4's I always ran BFG AT's

On the Surf I have Kuhmo AT's (daeler wouldn't stump up for BFG's) and I must admit they are as good as the BFG' were.

The pattern on the Kuhmo is not as aggressive so I think they are quieter on the road and perform as well off road unless it's really, really muddy when they tend to clog up easier than the BFG's.

But at £284 for 5, fitted & balanced they seem well good for the money and they came with 23mm of tread depth so should last a good few miles

hope this helps

ta

hawaii
                              I'm not overweight, I'm undertall!

Comment

Working...
                              X