A tale of 2 heads....

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• A tale of 2 heads....

hehe, took 2 heads off today, with interesting results....

On the left is Snoops 3.0lt alloy head vs Toyney's 2.4!

Snoops 3.0 got so hot I think the needle is bent on the gauge! but the head seems fine, no cracks and at first measure not warped. (but he has other issues we won't go into here....)

Jaynes is a run of the mill cracked 2.4, and has been cracked for a while judging by the water damage to the head surface...

No4 (on left is cracked, 3 is Ok, 2 and 1 are cracked, the water damage is obvious in the pic if you compare the No3 to the rest.

Close up if the cracks, they always go between the valves, but have seen cracks from the valve openings to the cumbustion chamber if they get really hot

A big detailed pic that I'll link if you want to view it, so not drag the thread down to much. This is for Jayne to show the dealer if she wants.
    http://www.4x4toys.co.uk/images/4x4/...k/jaynebig.jpg

The tops of the bores are a little pitted like the head face, but its not the worst I've seen and should be OK.

4x4toys.co.uk - Keeping you on and off the road...

Surely you could patch that up with a blob of JB weld, just smooth it into shape with the back of a tea spoon.

p.s. When I first saw that title, I read it as 'The sale of two sheds'
    Last edited by BUSHWHACKER; 29 September 2005, 23:04.

Comment

Originally posted by BUSHWHACKER
      Surely you could patch that up with a blob of JB weld, just smooth it into shape with the back of a tea spoon.

p.s. When I first saw that title, I read it as 'The sale of two sheds'
      Shhhh, don't give shady car dealers ideas......

as for the PS, that was the other thread I posted tonight!

Comment

hey tony,

have you got those pics you took of the cracked head on my surf?
        if so, could you drop me the detailled one ( and any others that look good) in an email so I can forward on to 4x4 mag editor?

cheers

toyney
        she's no angel

Comment

eye carnt sea dem picks!

"Valuehost still blows"
          nee nar nee nar, i'm a fire engine!

Comment

Originally posted by da SLUG man
            eye carnt sea dem picks!

"Valuehost still blows"
            Nah - its me. I havent uploaded all of the pics yet. We had to reload the whole website and I've been lazy...

Linda

www.4x4toys.co.uk

Comment

no, i think they've been taken down to save space on tinternet wotsit server thing, they were pretty big.
              but i forgot to download them for safe keeping on my own puter for reference later, and if anyone asks what a cracked head looks like.. I can say... there ya go... take a goggle at that then.
              she's no angel

Comment

I've got a crack in my head... the only sign left from when they put my monkey brain in!

Comment

Originally posted by Linda
                  Nah - its me. I havent uploaded all of the pics yet. We had to reload the whole website and I've been lazy...

in that case "Linda blows"... ummm....... oops!

Comment

cheeky sod.. all this talk about heads and blowing.. its not good for a wednesday afternoon... friday yes, but we're only on the mid week wednesday hump....
                    she's no angel

Comment

they are back now. They are hosted on our website so dont take up space on the forum server.
                      Linda

www.4x4toys.co.uk

Comment

hehe, thats a 'late night and matts drunk reply' !!!!! bwahahahahaha

Pics are sorted.

Jayne, just filling you truck with water and ready for a test drive!

Comment

need to sort out that fella at the garage to pay for it yet... have you spoken to him at all?

how much anti freeze will there be in it?
                          im planning on some cold trips this winter...
                          she's no angel

Comment

Originally posted by Toyney
                            need to sort out that fella at the garage to pay for it yet... have you spoken to him at all?

how much anti freeze will there be in it?
                            im planning on some cold trips this winter...
                            Not since last week, hows he gonna pay, give the money to you to give to me, or directly to me? I want you to have the truck back ASAP, but don't want to give him the chance to spend ages messing about getting the money to me. (I'm sure he's an honerable man...... )

It had a 3.0 air filter in it! Which ment the lid of the filter housing wan't closed properly as it was to big, and the flexable intake hose and the 90 deg hose into the turbo were both split.

Comment

he should pay you directly i think. He works with large quantities of cash a lot of the time from what Ive seen (usual car dealer), and since hes so close to you, based in Camberley it seems the sensible option.
                              Its probably faster if you tell him the work is done and you wont release the surf until you are paid in full, that way he has the chance to inspect the surf if he wants. I have some money to pay for sundries that arent covered with the head change ( unless you just lump it all into a big receipt as all part of the same job)
                              I saw the top hose was split and was going to get around to sorting that out when I got back from my holiday last month, along with air, oil and fuel filter changes etc.
                              I also need to look at one of the front brake calipers as one of the pistons was mega tight when i changed the brakes last month.

its an on going project this one, but at least now its got a nifty new head so the foundation, basic engine goodness is all there, I just have to sort out all the other carp now.

let me know how it goes with Steve the garage man, if you need his number again I have it.
                              she's no angel

Comment

Working...
                              X