crank sensor.. please help!!!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• crank sensor.. please help!!!

just bought a hilux surf 2.4 td auto 1991, really love the car but, it is seriously lacking power and after having it inspected at a garage and paying a fortune i was told it may have had a uk engine fitted without a crank sensor, (all the electrics and plugs etc are there but with no where to connect them) hence the lack of power....
    so.. the top and bottom of it is im up the creak without a paddle so im told, my options seem to be, get a very good mechanic to fit a crank sensor or put a jap engine in , but... i was wondering if anyone here can advise me, i really love this motor but its starting to get me down as no-one can give me a honest answer,
    please help, is there any other options open to me i.e fooling the ecu etc etc??

Hi matey,
    Your best advised to give TonyN a shout regarding engines.
    Also could you take a pic of the engine and post it on here, you may get a quicker answer.

Comment

cheers mate, will take some pics and post them later, how would i get hold of Tony??

Comment

TONY !!!!!!!!!

You're wanted!!!!!
        Dave

Comment

If it was originally a 2L-TE it requires a Crank Angle Sensor and Coolant Temperature Sensor for the ECU to operate correctly.A coolant sensor could be installed but a Crank Sensor will be of no use if the wrong crankshaft is in the engine.The sensor requires a crank with a raised section on it so the sensor receives a signal.

Can you describe the type of fuel pump it has or if the throttle cable is on the fuel pump or the throttle housing on intake manifold?What is the model type stated on the plate on the firewall?

Neville

Comment

Originally posted by NiftyNev
            If it was originally a 2L-TE it requires a Crank Angle Sensor and Coolant Temperature Sensor for the ECU to operate correctly.A coolant sensor could be installed but a Crank Sensor will be of no use if the wrong crankshaft is in the engine.The sensor requires a crank with a raised section on it so the sensor receives a signal.

Can you describe the type of fuel pump it has or if the throttle cable is on the fuel pump or the throttle housing on intake manifold?What is the model type stated on the plate on the firewall?

Neville
            hi mate, according to the chassis plate, the engine is / was?? a 2L TE and the frame is a LN130, as for the throttle cable, it seems to be mounted on the inlet manifold if that makes any sense. when the auto electrician did the fault diagnosis, it did come up with numbers 4, 12, 13, which he told me was the crank sensor and the coolant sensor as you described,

Comment

p.s does this mean im totally stuffed??

Comment

Originally posted by djsld
                cheers mate, will take some pics and post them later, how would i get hold of Tony??
                Try here...

4X4 TOYS for Surf servicing, repair, and mods contact Tony@4x4toys.co.uk or call on 07709 839891.

Comment

Hi mate, had a truck like this before, some one had fitted a pickup or similar 2.4, and all the EFI sockets where left hanging by the fuel pump and the throttle cable was bit of a mess. If you have a mechanical link between the throttle flap and the fuel pump, its a non-efi motor, the EFI motor has an electronic fuel pump and is 'fly-by-wire' you just have a throttle position sensor on throttle flap.

I really don't know if you can retro fit a crank sensor, I wouldn't fancy drilling through the block to mount it if you could work out where it goes.

Its hard to work out, they might have fitted all your electronic systems to a non-efi block, or i might be a whole complete non-efi motor dropped in the truck.

Need some pics of the motor to work out whats going on really.
                  4x4toys.co.uk - Keeping you on and off the road...

Comment

Originally posted by TonyN
                    the EFI motor has an electronic fuel pump and is 'fly-by-wire' you just have a throttle position sensor on throttle flap.
                    Not quite.They still have a cable on the throttle body.The only ones with "Fly By Wire" here in Australia are,I think, the latest Landcruiser Prados.

I really don't know if you can retro fit a crank sensor, I wouldn't fancy drilling through the block to mount it if you could work out where it goes.
                    It can be done and I know of one example here in Australia.This will only work if the later crankshaft as installed on an EFI motor is there.The only other solution is if someone can set up a crank sensor to work off something else and provide the ECU with a signal.There was someone I heard about that said their mechanic had set up a Crank Sensor to take a signal from the Power Steering pulley and it worked.No idea how they did this as the power steering pulley has nothing to do with engine timing.

Its hard to work out, they might have fitted all your electronic systems to a non-efi block, or i might be a whole complete non-efi motor dropped in the truck.
                    I agree.Sounds like a 2L-T with all the 2L-TE bits attached.Removing the 2L-TE fuel pump and using a mechanical pump and 2l-T ECU may be an option but either way it will be difficult to sort out.

Neville

Comment

Originally posted by djsld
                      hi mate, according to the chassis plate, the engine is / was?? a 2L TE and the frame is a LN130, as for the throttle cable, it seems to be mounted on the inlet manifold if that makes any sense. when the auto electrician did the fault diagnosis, it did come up with numbers 4, 12, 13, which he told me was the crank sensor and the coolant sensor as you described,
                      Yep.They are the Coolant Crank and Timer Control sensors so it sounds like a non EFI block has been put in.The engine will never run properly without these connected to the ECU.See my reply to Tony for more info.

Neville

Comment

You say you just bought it . If from a dealer , take it back .
                        Rick...Member of 1st Gen club. ONE LIFE ... GET ONE !!

Comment

cheers people, at least its not all bad news then...:-) looking on the top of the engine, it does say efi if that makes any difference.
                          the best thing i can do is put some pics on after work today and see what you lot think.,

Comment

Originally posted by NiftyNev
                            Not quite.They still have a cable on the throttle body.The only ones with "Fly By Wire" here in Australia are,I think, the latest Landcruiser Prados.
                            I ment between the throttle flap and the fuel pump is electronic.

Comment

Originally posted by Vagrant No2
                              You say you just bought it . If from a dealer , take it back .
                              Definatly, don't mess about with it, park it on his front garden and ask for another one.

Comment

Working...
                              X