Torque converter whine noise

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Torque converter whine noise

When my trucks cold, and I pull away slowly, the torque converter makes quite a loudish whine. When it heats up, it's not so bad, but you can still hear it. Not having owned a Surf or an Auto before buying this truck, is this normal, or is something on it's way out??

I've driven Auto trucks and test driven other Surfs, but I didn't notice them making this noise. Hasn't just started, has done it since I bought it, just got round to asking about it now.

Thanks for any help. Hope you are going to put my mind at rest

Are you sure it's the torque converter? It maybe the propshafts need pumping with grease.

Comment

Originally posted by BUSHWHACKER
      Are you sure it's the torque converter? It maybe the propshafts need pumping with grease.

Definately the Torque converter or transfer box, as I have greased the props to within an inch of there lives. The whine noise runs alongside the speed. It gets a higher and higher pitch, then when she changes gear, it goes to a lower pitch again. If you hammer it, you can't really notice it, but thats probably down to engine and exhaust noise.

I serviced a girlfriends Surf on Friday. I took it out for a run. It didn't seem to make this whining noise, but it was hot. Mine is worst when cold.

Comment

Please check your turbo. My truck started to buzz starting at 2000rpm when under load, casuing me trouble finding the noise.
        Went to TonyN last Friday for some work and asked him to check (ruined his driveway with too large wheelspin holes, front brakes worked thou). To find the noise is more probably the turbo.
        If I drive very gently (don't go above 2000rpm) the noise is almost not there. Then accelerating the noise goes up in pitch until it becomes a scream, then when the car changes gear it drops to a low rumble working up again to the scream.
        If it goes whilst driving it could be expensive, hence my girl is sitting in the garden, and I'm using my motorbike.
        Of course I could be wrong, which isn't uncommon.
        Gone from 4x4 to 1x2

Comment

Originally posted by Maverick
          Please check your turbo. My truck started to buzz starting at 2000rpm when under load, casuing me trouble finding the noise.
          Went to TonyN last Friday for some work and asked him to check (ruined his driveway with too large wheelspin holes, front brakes worked thou). To find the noise is more probably the turbo.
          If I drive very gently (don't go above 2000rpm) the noise is almost not there. Then accelerating the noise goes up in pitch until it becomes a scream, then when the car changes gear it drops to a low rumble working up again to the scream.
          If it goes whilst driving it could be expensive, hence my girl is sitting in the garden, and I'm using my motorbike.
          Of course I could be wrong, which isn't uncommon.

Pretty sure it's not the turbo, I've driven it with my head out of the window, and it seems to be coming from underneath. If it was the Turbo, it would do it all the time, but this whine goes away when she's warm.

I'm going to change all the oil in the running gear to see if that makes a difference. If it is still there after that I might give Toyota a call. Thanks for the advise.

Comment

Working...
          X