yobit eobot.com

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

buying a surf to tow a caravan around europe?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• buying a surf to tow a caravan around europe?

hello everyone,

i have stumbled upon this forum through looking at surfs on the net. the reason for loo king for such a vehicle is because i would like a good value 4x4 to tow a caravan around europe for my next holiday. i have a good understanding of the jap import scene and thought that the way forward would be a pajero but i only have about 5k to spend and they are everywhere. 5k does not get you much mitzi but there seems to be a good selection of surfs for that price range and thy are less common than the paj. does anyone else use their surf for such a purpose and are there any sites selling them coz the trader only ever has about 6 a week and most are fresh imports still not yet gracing our shores.
    i drive a 2.0 cav at present and have never owned a 4x4 is this a good place to start. is the 2.4 a good engine because 5k will only get me that sort of model. i think!!!!!!!!!!!!! oh are auto boxes common because i cannot be bothered to change gear any more.
    by the way the reason for taking such a holiday next year is because i had a harrowing exprience on an aeroplane this summer and wild horses will not be able to get me back on one not even using the same methods as getting mr. T. on one.

all feedback will be taken gratefully. but please no counselling about planes it will useless my mind is made up.

cheers Simon.

Originally posted by simon sparke pearson
    hello everyone,

i have stumbled upon this forum through looking at surfs on the net. the reason for loo king for such a vehicle is because i would like a good value 4x4 to tow a caravan around europe for my next holiday. i have a good understanding of the jap import scene and thought that the way forward would be a pajero but i only have about 5k to spend and they are everywhere. 5k does not get you much mitzi but there seems to be a good selection of surfs for that price range and thy are less common than the paj. does anyone else use their surf for such a purpose and are there any sites selling them coz the trader only ever has about 6 a week and most are fresh imports still not yet gracing our shores.
    i drive a 2.0 cav at present and have never owned a 4x4 is this a good place to start. is the 2.4 a good engine because 5k will only get me that sort of model. i think!!!!!!!!!!!!! oh are auto boxes common because i cannot be bothered to change gear any more.
    by the way the reason for taking such a holiday next year is because i had a harrowing exprience on an aeroplane this summer and wild horses will not be able to get me back on one not even using the same methods as getting mr. T. on one.

all feedback will be taken gratefully. but please no counselling about planes it will useless my mind is made up.

cheers Simon.
    Hi. i got a 2.4 and totally happy with it, but if i had known what i've learnt from the guys on here, would have gone with a 3Ltr.
    Enjoying Life after Cancer
    Pops

Comment

Simon - welcome to the forum!

I have a 3.0l and have towed caravan, loaded trailers and horse trailers with it. It pulls extremely well and I've never had a problem with it.

The auto gear box is pretty standard in Japan (like US) and manuals are a lot rarer.

There is lots of info on the site about 2.4 v 3.0 - some of the 2.4's had a design fault with the head causing a cracked head, but a recent poll on here showed it only affect about half of the 2.4's. Read and make your own decision. There's lots of folk on here wth great technical knowledge so I expect they will have more to say on this subject...

You should be able to get a nice car for your money - have a look at the For Sale section on the forum - and no doubt people in your area will suggest some local dealers. Although a lot of these imports are 10+ years old they are generally in fantasic condition for their age and fully loaded with goodies...

You're right about the surf having style - much nicer than the P***** ..., good looking, fantasic drive, and tough as old boots...

Hope you make the right decision and join the rest of us Happy surfers.....
      Linda

www.4x4toys.co.uk

Comment

Hi Simon,
        I have a 2.4 and it's a great vehicle, and I wouldn't have any hesitation in touring Europe in it, BUT, mines had a new head. Personally, I would not tour Europe towing a caravan in a 2.4 that has not had a new head. The head going abroad with a caravan on the back would be a nightmare.
        Pete

Comment

Good luck with the search Simon. Welcome to the forum.
          Iv'e got a 2.4D Auto and, touch wood, have had no probs since buying in June. Iv'e not hitched the caravan up yet, but have pulled my Conway Cruiser folding camper, which weighs just under a ton, with no problems. In fact I had to keep an eye on the speedo.
          Happy towing.
          It's only a hobby!

Comment

Hi Simon

Welcom to the madhouse.
            I Have a 2.4 Surf. I must admit to having replaced the head but since doing so I have had no problems. I have towed 23ft Bailey caravan me ,er and two kids and all the usual stuff alot this summer. If I Had the choice again I would go for the 3.0 lt for that extra power.

Cheers
            Rubblebags (Geoff).

Comment

Hi Simon,

I have had my surf for over a year now (2.4) and touch wood no problems with the head yet (air con was a pain!!). I have towed my caravan up and down the country during the summer and had no problems at all. After a Mondeo it was great to have the power, weight and auto box to make towing far less stressful on a long haul.

If you see a 3ltr for the right money get it but if not ask for a waranty that will cover the head. (or if it is out of the paper look for one with paperwork to say it has been done already. no point getting a great deal on a motor with the head on its last legs)

Where in the NE are you?

Phil

Comment

it may be worth budgeting to fit a better oil cooler for the auto box if you're doing a lot of towing, they're not too expensive... this isn't just for the surf but any auto doing a lot of towing.

http://www.yotasurf.co.uk/Forums/sho...ghlight=cooler
                look here for cooler info
                nee nar nee nar, i'm a fire engine!

Comment

Hi Simon ,I,ve had my 2.4 surf for 2+ yrs & been towing caravans for a lot longer .I,ve also had to do the head. I love surfs but I wouldn,t recomend towing around Europe with a 2.4 before it,s had its head done
                  They weigh almost 2 tonnes & by the time you load up & hang a caravan on the back , progress is going to be steady at best especially on an incline .
                  A lot of the older cars (mine included) suffer from a saggy arse New springs & shocks aren,t expensive & make for a much improved ride - with or without caravan
                  They,re a versatile & fun mode of transport but you shouldn,t use 4wd on tarmac or any hard surface. If you don,t need 4wd & just want a reliable workhorse for towing , buy a ......Volvo
                  If you don,t mind being overtaken by aon her skateboard
                  buy a 2.4 & join the nutters on this forum
                  Or save up buy a 3.0L & cruise around in style

Nobody ... tell Koi I recomended a Volv* or I,ll be in the binIt wasn,t me guv ,I didn,t do it
                  Geoff http://smileys.smileycentral.com/cat/10/10_6_5.gif.... http://www.boomspeed.com/carolrobert/police.gif......

Comment

simon welcome. ive a 2.4 and a bailey ranger caravan 21ft shipping length 1.4 tonnes up and down dale no problem i pass lots mibsu****i pajamas & i leave em standing great towing vehicle
                    (\__/)
                    (='.'=) SQUIRREL MUNCHER GRRRRRRR
                    (")_(")

Comment

they've easily got enough power for towing, 130 bhp, the same as a DAF 7.5 tonne van
                      most 17 tonne trucks only have 200ish bhp
                      nee nar nee nar, i'm a fire engine!

Comment

what happend?

Hello Simon if you dont mind can I ask what happend on the airplane,im a aircraft engineer and im all ways interested in peoples experiences.I hope you havent been put of from flying I used to fly 3 times a week for 7 years and had very few problems,its the best way to travel

Comment

Originally posted by dabigman
                          they've easily got enough power for towing, 130 bhp, the same as a DAF 7.5 tonne van
                          most 17 tonne trucks only have 200ish bhp
                          A 2.4 only has about 90bhp
                          Geoff http://smileys.smileycentral.com/cat/10/10_6_5.gif.... http://www.boomspeed.com/carolrobert/police.gif......

Comment

hello simon and welcome, like you i have towed a van for years, 18 to be exact, my last three vehicles have been volvo estates and have towed well, getting progressively better with change of car, ending up with my last volvo being a 940se 2.0ltr turbo unleaded petrol, which would pull the isle of wight when i bought it, i started surfing in july this year with a 1992 2.4td ssr-x auto, i have taken the caravan out with the surf on two serios journeys plus a couple of short hauls, the last outing with the van was in september and consisted of four adults, three of which were xl ( if you catch my drift )plus their luggage and the caravan which is a 19 foot six avondale with alko chassis, we first travelled from merseyside to the new forest some 200km plus, no problem, then we went accross country to north devon,again some 200km, allthough the surf was running very hot, uphill and down dale, still not a problem, and the home journey was without concern whatsoever, i do not say that you will have the accelleration that you are use to, and there is the nagging fear about the head that everyone goes on about, but to put the argument in balance, my surf seems to tow at sixty all day on a motorway, and is actually a more comfortable drive than a volvo, ( and that is something i never ever thought i would say ) good luck with your trip, please keep us informed about your exploits,
                            BIG D
                            ITS NICE TO BE IMPORTANT, BUT ITS MORE IMPORTANT TO BE NICE,

Comment

You can have mine if you like............?

Hi

I am not sure if you're interested, but I am thinking of selling my Surf. When I was originally looking for a vehicle, I wanted a Hilux Pickup. Unfortunately I listened to my mate and bought a Surf. As superb a vehicle as they are, you can't just drop half an old motorbike and a washing machine in the back and not expect to have to hoover your lovely plush carpet afterwards.

So I'm afraid she must go. It's a 2.4 td automatic SSR-X - I'm sure you know all the equipment on them. I have adjusted the radio to receive UK frequencies, I've preserved the underside with waxoyl, corrected the wiring on the glow plugs (with this forums help) and changed the glow plugs. Of course the cylinder head has been changed for a new (£750) one - the total job costing £1900. The aircon has also been re-charged. It's got 3 months tax and 10 months MoT. There's also a handbook and Haynes Manual thrown in.

There's no tow bar - but I am sure they're no big deal to get fitted.

If you're interested, drop me a line. I'm looking for about £5300

Rob

Comment

Working...
                              X