No announcement yet.

Difference between Intercooled and not?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Difference between Intercooled and not?

Have been looking at some 1997 3rd gens. Some are Intercooled, some are not. Can anyone tell me the difference? Are the Intercooled ones better, more desirable, faster et c.
    Cheers
    Windsurfer

the inter-cooler version, um, has an inter-cooler!!

it adds a touch more power... it is the one to go for... nothing extra to go wrong as it's a passive device that just cools the induction charge.

have a butchers here for info on inter-coolers http://auto.howstuffworks.com/turbo7.htm
    nee nar nee nar, i'm a fire engine!

Comment

While we are on this subject has anyone here got a 3rd gen 5-speed intercooled.
      It seems that all the 3's over here are 5-speed or Intercooled, I have yet to find one with both.
      Simon.O.
      '90 SSR Ltd 2.4TD 5 spd

Comment

an intercooler basically provides colder (therefore denser) induction air. i.e. cold and dense = more air goin thru the engine and more power.

the intercooler sits between the turbo and the manifold. no intercooler means warm turbo air straight into manifold. all very well, but not as efficient as intercooled.

Intercooling does provide more power, often changing from a standard sized intercooler to a larger one can noticabliy improve performance.

i personally would look definatley for an intercooled derv. however, it does mean theres more pipework and the intercooler itself that could leek, loose boost etc.. but this doesnt happen often.
        VW Taro (hilux single cab PU) - 31" rubber, H/D springs and shackles, LSD, 4 pot front callipers, 2.4 N/A Flymo engine..

Comment

Working...
        X