Caution

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Caution

I posted a picci of my truck on the site and then realised that I had left the reg number on display, now I heard that some people were putting false plates on their cars and driving around London's inner streets without paying the necessary fees. The true owner of the plate then got the bill for it! Regardless of the outcome as to wether or not the bill is paid, is it a good idea to put reg numbers on the forums and allow people to browse through and use them in this way? I think we should be a little cautious....
    [SIZE=3][FONT=verdana][COLOR=darkorange]The chickens are stealing my sanity[/COLOR][/FONT][/SIZE]

Personally I cant see a problem, anyone wanting to use your number plate could probably find one a lot easier walking down the street or from Teco's car park or again use a totally fictitious one.
    Am I worried Nooooooooo
    John
    [size=4][font=franklin gothic medium][color=lime]Every Day Above Ground is a Good Day[/color][/font][/size]
    [img]http://www.vertueren.gb.com/welshflag.gif[/img] [color=red]Gods Country[/color]

Comment

Personally I would not display my reg number on the internet. I saw a programme on tv a while back about a guy in London whose car was cloned and was driving around Edinburgh. If someone wants to clone a car, they wont use one down the street now will they. They will find one as far away as possible, less chance of bumping into each other so to speak. Remember forums are open to ANYONE . I am probably over cautious, but how many times have you heard "I never thought it would happen to me" ?
      Pete

Comment

It never even occured to me to be worried about it - my plate can be spotted on roads all over the country anyway. To be honest I'd have thought there was more risk in a car park near home ( any spot check of a reg on a cloned car would show one registered in that area.)

All down to personal choice I suppose, but I'll bear it in mind in future when posting pics, in case other people are worried.

Incidentally, when road scenes are shown on the news, they never hide plates of the passing cars.....

Linda
        Linda

www.4x4toys.co.uk

Comment

Sorry if Iv'e been misunderstood but, what I'm trying to say is that what Pete seemed to grasp. Just say I wanted to move around in London and not pay the congestion charges, I would have a perfect opportunity to find a number of a vehicle identicle to mine, thats miles away, and I would think hardley likely to pass in the street, use it for a couple of months, run up a large congestion charge bill, knowing the vehicle is not reported stolen and unlikley to get stopped, then find another number to use and let the unsuspecting owner who has done nothing wrong pick up the tab, then he will have to go through the process of trying to prove he was not there on the dates claimed by our government, when a Vehicle identicle to his had been photographed. I agree you can pick up a number plate anywhere, but these things are happening so why make things easier for conmen who haven't a thought for anyone else as long as they are saving a few bob?
          [SIZE=3][FONT=verdana][COLOR=darkorange]The chickens are stealing my sanity[/COLOR][/FONT][/SIZE]

Comment

Sadly the Auto-Trader web site is known for this, You can specify a similar vehicle, even colour, in the search engine and find one a couple of hundred miles away to copy!
            Yet still they insist on a frontal or quarter shot with the plate in full view.
            Ok nicely done, when we dry off we can go find the boat!

Comment

Hi Healewis

I feel fairly strong with you on this subject. It seems that buy the responce to your thread that we may be over reacting, however when posting pictures of other peoples Surfs shuch as The Pit photos. I dont feel that you have the right to display others members Regs Numbers. I Allways blank them out. If it is hard to see I normaly zoom in to see if it can be read. This website is looked at from some far corners of the globe. Food for thought.
              Rubblebags (Geoff).

Comment

Originally posted by Healewis
                I posted a picci of my truck on the site and then realised that I had left the reg number on display, now I heard that some people were putting false plates on their cars and driving around London's inner streets without paying the necessary fees. The true owner of the plate then got the bill for it! Regardless of the outcome as to wether or not the bill is paid, is it a good idea to put reg numbers on the forums and allow people to browse through and use them in this way? I think we should be a little cautious....
                totally agree, not thought about it too.
                maybe in future we should PM our regs. for things like bookings for off road days, etc.
                Enjoying Life after Cancer
                Pops

Comment

Originally posted by popbriscoe
                  totally agree, not thought about it too.
                  maybe in future we should PM our regs. for things like bookings for off road days, etc.
                  I believe we do.
                  Rubblebags (Geoff).

Comment

Originally posted by rubblebags
                    I believe we do.
                    stand corrected sin bin for me though cos i done it.
                    GUILTY
                    but in mitigation i new boy and wife makes great cakes.
                    Enjoying Life after Cancer
                    Pops

Comment

Agree with not putting regs on the site but with the new rules governing the making up of number plates it shouldnt be possible just to have plates made up. Unless you are a proper crook that is.

Ian
                      Objects in the rear view mirror are losing

Comment

I generaly don't bother, no one else is gonna mistake my truck for another, it'll be easy to prove someone has borrowed it!

A place like this is no bother, plus pics of my truck have been posted on webgroups for years now, in the US and Austrailia to, so its to late to worry about it now.

there are better things to worry about IMHO.
                        4x4toys.co.uk - Keeping you on and off the road...

Comment

Quite agree,........................ ....

Price of fuel for starters
                          [size=4][font=franklin gothic medium][color=lime]Every Day Above Ground is a Good Day[/color][/font][/size]
                          [img]http://www.vertueren.gb.com/welshflag.gif[/img] [color=red]Gods Country[/color]

Comment

Originally posted by high-surfer
                            Agree with not putting regs on the site but with the new rules governing the making up of number plates it shouldnt be possible just to have plates made up. Unless you are a proper crook that is.

Ian
                            it's only reputable dealers that ask for ID to make plates... plenty on people on the net make "show" plates... i've got a kit for making them kicking around in my garage... (but half the numbers are missing!)
                            nee nar nee nar, i'm a fire engine!

Comment

Working...
                            X