Wiper noise

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Wiper noise

All is going well with my new Surf, except for anoying noise of wipers on screen. Anyone any ideas on how to fix this without diminishing the quality of the 'wipe'. is is cause by old blades or what.

Don't you hate it when you have the perfect motor except for some minor fault which spoils the enjoyment.

thanks in advance

Yeah had the same with mine. Solution was 2 fold:

1. Make sure the rubber blade 'trails' the metal wiper arm as it sweeps. I had to twist mine carefully, not too much, as the blade will need to reverse itself on the return sweep. This has often been the cause of judder as the rubber blade was not rolling over properly. Experiment and you'll see what I mean.

2. I got some softer and expensive Bosch blades and at the same time gave the screen a good clean with 'Intensive Glass Cutter' from Halfords.

This did the trick after weeks of noise!

Comment

Originally posted by fergus
      All is going well with my new Surf, except for anoying noise of wipers on screen. Anyone any ideas on how to fix this without diminishing the quality of the 'wipe'. is is cause by old blades or what.

Don't you hate it when you have the perfect motor except for some minor fault which spoils the enjoyment.

thanks in advance
      Is noise a judder when wiping, or more of a mechanical ratchety noise?

If it's the wiper juddering accross the windscreen then a slight, but forcefull twist of the wiper arm should do the trick. When I did, it my aim was to have the blade at more of the same angle as the screen (only slightly obviously!!), so the blade edge isn't fighting the wiping motion and causing the judder.

New blades don't often cure this, my Mother got a brand new Freelander with same prob a while back, 3 new sets of wipers later (gratis, fitted by dealers mechanics!) and it was still doing it. Then one day I told her to look away for a minute or two, a bit of a twist later and all was well. Does take a bit of bottle on a new car though!!!!

If ratchety, will prob be linkage for arms from motor under plastic grill, but I ain't looked at that on my surf, had that prob on a 306 a while back. Would not have thought the two were comparable!!

Someone else would be better advising you on that one!!

Comment

Originally posted by fergus

thanks in advance
        Could be grease on the screen and rubber from the road, try cleaning them both with a GOOD quality glass cleaner (NOT WINDOWLENE!!) or even methelated spirits.

I have saved people a fortune on this when they wanted to replace blades and rubbers whenall it needed was a GOOD clean.

Paul
        DUNNO'S BACK ..........He never really went away!

Comment

Originally posted by Dunno
          Could be grease on the screen and rubber from the road, try cleaning them both with a GOOD quality glass cleaner (NOT WINDOWLENE!!) or even methelated spirits.

I have saved people a fortune on this when they wanted to replace blades and rubbers whenall it needed was a GOOD clean.

Paul
          try a ****** good clean and treat it to rainx its brilliant stuff if applied propley,
          but try twisting arm and experiment with wiper as well coz that made a big diff on mine putting a very slight curve in the wiper itself providing your wipers have a metal carrier
          good luck
          Surf.gone but not forgottendisco now gone aswell

Comment

Wiper Noise

I know that as soon as Hilux sees this reply it will bring a smile to his face. I am an engineer for Jag/Landrover, and I have just looked at the problems associated with wipers on X-Type. The probable cause will be that the attack anlgle will be out of specification, I have a gauge to measure this and if you are ever in Liverpool I will gladly take a look at your car. I have contacted a friend at Toyota who is goging to send me the data. Feel free to call me and I will talk you through a simple mod that will hopefully cure the problem. 01514484218

Comment

Working...
            X