No announcement yet.

Want to get a Surf

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

If you've got someone who knows about 4x4's then you could try buying from the auctions at Portbury Docks in Bristol (just off the M5 J19). You won't get a warranty but the money you could save on a good one should more than make up for the difference.

Go for the 3.0L as it has more power, especially towing, as the 2.4L has exactly the same body weight, so will be a bit under powered by comparison.

I also saw a few at a garage just outside Llanelli whilst down there on holiday. It's an un-named place on the A484 just on the west of the town, opposite Carmarthen college (ColegSirGar in welsh). He had a number of different Jap imports including three Surfs, all 3.0L. Prices were reasonable and one was obviosly fresh off the auction as it hadn't been prepared or priced when we were there.
    Mike G

Comment

Originally posted by bradley444
      Hi all i'm new to the site and just came accross it on the net. I've never considered buying a 4x4 untill i saw a mitsubishi Pajaro on the weekend at Usk Show (a agracultural show that the mrs plauged me to go to, glad i did now) anyway i fell in love. Behind though i noticed something that i could just see myself driving a toyota surf. so since then thats it i have to have one of these amazing machines i've tryed to find out all i can about them but wondered if any one could tell me more, I do a lot of milage so would need to get it gas converted i guess, will this break the bank, will it affect performance? also what are they like on repaires expect it to be a bit more expensive but i realy don't know as i said never thought about getting one before. is it better to get a manual or auto? please could someone give me a bit of insight
      I would recomend either Pajero or Surf, drive both and make your mind up. Look at this post, I've had both and written about them http://www.yotasurf.co.uk/forums/showthread.php?t=14480

Lastly whatever you go for remember most are diesel so gas conversion is not an option. My personal view is that if fuel costs are a big issue then these sort of cars are probably not the cars for you. Whatever you do you will never get much better than 25mpg regularly and usually less than that. If you are used to a "normal" sized car ie up to 2 litre then it can come as a very rude surprise. Get a range rover first and then you will be chuffed as to how economical everything else is (except maybe a hummer!). As far as spares are concerned spend the money on a good low milage one and its really not an issue, I haven't had my Surf long enough to comment but my Paj did the thick end of 80,000 miles by me before I had to spend anything above oil, tyres, brakes pads, cam belt and other consumables. I have no reason to suspect the surf will be any different, most jap cars are super reliable.
      Parts of your engine go up, stop then go back! Mm!

Comment

Originally posted by TJG
        I would recomend either Pajero or Surf, drive both and make your mind up. Look at this post, I've had both and written about them http://www.yotasurf.co.uk/forums/showthread.php?t=14480

Lastly whatever you go for remember most are diesel so gas conversion is not an option. My personal view is that if fuel costs are a big issue then these sort of cars are probably not the cars for you. Whatever you do you will never get much better than 25mpg regularly and usually less than that. If you are used to a "normal" sized car ie up to 2 litre then it can come as a very rude surprise. Get a range rover first and then you will be chuffed as to how economical everything else is (except maybe a hummer!). As far as spares are concerned spend the money on a good low milage one and its really not an issue, I haven't had my Surf long enough to comment but my Paj did the thick end of 80,000 miles by me before I had to spend anything above oil, tyres, brakes pads, cam belt and other consumables. I have no reason to suspect the surf will be any different, most jap cars are super reliable.
        Thanks for the advice mate looked into the whole LPG thing it is possible whether it is worth or not i'm not sure. but know i can take a bus to work which will save petrol and parking !!!! brilliant! it will be a while i think before i can get one. but i cant wait to

Comment

Working...
        X