Towing limits and your licence

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by marky.b
    Hasn't the bedford MJ always been rated at 7.5t?

I was always under the impression that any vehicle over 3.5t gvw had to be fitted with a tacho (which is why the transits 3.5t are rated at 3.49t)
    only when driving for hire or reward.

e.g. if you hire a 7.5t for house moving then you don't need a operators license or tacho

and transits are rated slightly lower to compensate 10 kg for fat drivers!
    nee nar nee nar, i'm a fire engine!

Comment

Originally posted by Chiko
      My mum drives a 7.5T Ford Iveco horsebox on her license. Although it is probably slightly over this with a full compliment of horses, fuel and equipment.
      naughty naughty!!... hehehe!!!

i'va always wondered how much a horse actually weighs?!
      you see these 7.5t with big heavy bodies and 3 horses with all the kit... the horses can only weigh about 12 stone each!

Comment

Originally posted by marky.b
        Hasn't the bedford MJ always been rated at 7.5t?

I was always under the impression that any vehicle over 3.5t gvw had to be fitted with a tacho (which is why the transits 3.5t are rated at 3.49t)

They only need to be fitted with a Tacho if they are being used for Hire or Reward. The purpose of a Tacho is to record drivers hours, distance travelled, speed and rest breaks. Any vehicle over 3.5T that is being used in the course of a business needs to be fitted with a Tacho and plated. If you are using a vehicle for private use and are NOT carrying goods, then you do not need a Tacho to be fitted. If you decide to use your truck to carry goods, and that can mean anything, then you need to plate it and get a Tacho fitted. This only applies to trucks over 3.5T depending on when they were registered.

The Bedford MK/MJ is NOT 7.5tonnes. You need an HGV licence to drive it. You can take the helper springs off of the rear axle, which down rates it to 7.5T. You can then drive it on a car licence. It DOES NOT require a tacho too be fitted if it is registered as a private HGV, however, it has to be plated and requires an HGV MOT every year. They are called 4 tonners as that is the weight they can carry OFF road. With a payload of 4 tonnes OFF road and a vehicle weight of about 6 tonnes it is well outside the 7.5ton limit. I have a Bedford vehicle manual giving you all the details, haven't got it here though.

Be warned though. An HGV training company got prossecuted for carrying bollards on the load area. The company argued that they were for training, but the court took a different view. They said the bollards were goods.

I am heavily into the Ex Military vehicle scene. We carry camping gear, tentage,field kitchens, water bowsers, generators etc to shows. If the Police decided to be funny, they could nick us for carrying this stuff, as it could constitute goods. Thank god common sense prevails!!
        Last edited by M35A2; 14 September 2005, 22:55.

Comment

Originally posted by Chiko
          My mum drives a 7.5T Ford Iveco horsebox on her license. Although it is probably slightly over this with a full compliment of horses, fuel and equipment.

I'm going to have to look through this quite thoroughly because I passed my test in 2001, and want to tow a 900kg car on a trailer.

Just hope she doesn't overload it. If she has a accident and it's found to be overloaded, the Police will throw the book at her.

Comment

Originally posted by M35A2
            Just hope she doesn't overload it. If she has a accident and it's found to be overloaded, the Police will throw the book at her.

She might not be over weight. A lot of 7.5 ton lorries actually dont weigh 7.5 tons unladen. The plated unladen weight of my Ford D series is 6.4 so that allows me to carry just under a tonne of horses/tack etc. However, the plated weight was with its old wooden body, since I replaced that with an ally body the weight is less (yep I know I need to get a new weigh bridge cert and update the plate) so I can actually carry about 2 tonne without exceeding the 7.5 tonnes limit.

She's physically capable of carrying more than that, but we dont often exceed it (do we Tony)....

As for what a surf can safely tow - I've towed a double horse trailer with 2 x16.2hh and full load of horse stuff with no problem - surf didnt even notice the load much, others on here regularly tow double trailers... They are as safe as horse trailers ever are... (dont get me started on that one!!)

Linda

www.4x4toys.co.uk

Comment

Originally posted by Linda
              She might not be over weight. A lot of 7.5 ton lorries actually dont weigh 7.5 tons unladen. The plated unladen weight of my Ford D series is 6.4 so that allows me to carry just under a tonne of horses/tack etc. However, the plated weight was with its old wooden body, since I replaced that with an ally body the weight is less (yep I know I need to get a new weigh bridge cert and update the plate) so I can actually carry about 2 tonne without exceeding the 7.5 tonnes limit.

She's physically capable of carrying more than that, but we dont often exceed it (do we Tony)....

As for what a surf can safely tow - I've towed a double horse trailer with 2 x16.2hh and full load of horse stuff with no problem - surf didnt even notice the load much, others on here regularly tow double trailers... They are as safe as horse trailers ever are... (dont get me started on that one!!)

I drive for a living, so am on the roads everyday. What amazes me is the state most of these horse boxes are in. Not the towed variety, but the motor horse boxes. Some of them, especially the old Bedford TK's smoke like they lost their rings years ago and look in a right state. How they aren't impounded by the Ministry is beyond me??

Comment

Check this site out for all you need to know about Horseboxes.

http://www.vosa.gov.uk/vosa/privateh...horseboxes.htm
                Last edited by M35A2; 15 September 2005, 14:04.

Comment

I drive for a living, so am on the roads everyday. What amazes me is the state most of these horse boxes are in. Not the towed variety, but the motor horse boxes. Some of them, especially the old Bedford TK's smoke like they lost their rings years ago and look in a right state. How they aren't impounded by the Ministry is beyond me??
                  I actually agree with you - I see a lot I wouldnt dream of even driving, let alone putting my horses in!!

Mine is old (1978) but she has low milage and is in very good condition - she's never failed an MOT and has had a totally new body fitted. The engine and other mechanics are serviced regularly, and parts replaced as needed. We hope to do some shows with her next year when she's had the cab etc resprayed, and she'll be the transport for our 1952 tractor to vintage shows when she's complete.

Linda

www.4x4toys.co.uk

Comment

I actually agree with you - I see a lot I wouldnt dream of even driving, let alone putting my horses in!!

Mine is old (1978) but she has low milage and is in very good condition - she's never failed an MOT and has had a totally new body fitted. The engine and other mechanics are serviced regularly, and parts replaced as needed. We hope to do some shows with her next year when she's had the cab etc resprayed, and she'll be the transport for our 1952 tractor to vintage shows when she's complete.

Vintage Tractor??? Which one have you got? I love the old Tractors. Some of the shows I exibit my Military vehicles at have got all the old Tractors, and Steam vehicles like rollers and traction engines. Some even have the real horsepower on show.

Comment

I bet you know what this one is Linda??

Probably the most famous vintage tractor of all time.
                      Attached Files

Comment

Vintage Tractor??? Which one have you got? I love the old Tractors. Some of the shows I exibit my Military vehicles at have got all the old Tractors, and Steam vehicles like rollers and traction engines. Some even have the real horsepower on show.
                        We'll give you a clue, picking it, and all its toys up from Cornwall a few months back....

4x4toys.co.uk - Keeping you on and off the road...

Comment

I love the Surf by the way. Looks awsome. Where did you get your privacy tints done??

I can see it's got a gang mower on the back and also what looks like a hay cutter?? Is it a David Brown?

Comment

Looks like a rusty brown to me....hehehe

Comment

Ford D series is 6.4 so that allows me to carry just under a tonne of horses/tack etc.
                              you sure?? that's not the plated laden weight?

seems VERY heavy

or have i mis-read it?

Comment

Working...
                              X