Import tax / VAT

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Import tax / VAT

have you ordered stuff from overseas and had to pay import tax / VAT on it??

just a little poll
    TAX
    36.84%
    NO TAX
    57.89%
    oohh... madam, buy off the yanks?... NOT ME!
    5.26%
    nee nar nee nar, i'm a fire engine!

Err can we have another option please??

sometime yes/sometime no - thats my vote, and I've bought a fair bit.
    Linda

www.4x4toys.co.uk

Comment

Originally posted by da SLUG man
      have you ordered stuff from overseas and had to pay import tax / VAT on it??

just a little poll
      YES!!! Different things come in under different duty catagories . I Import steel piles from the USA and get clobbered!!! The drive heads we import to put these piles in the ground come in under a differnt number and the duty is far less. Don't get me on it!!

Y u askin anyway??

Comment

Originally posted by Bobafet
        YES!!! Different things come in under different duty catagories . I Import steel piles from the USA and get clobbered!!! The drive heads we import to put these piles in the ground come in under a differnt number and the duty is far less. Don't get me on it!!

Y u askin anyway??
        I've bought same thing several times and been charged duty sometimes and not others... doesnt seem any logic to it. Nothing to do with the value either.

Linda

www.4x4toys.co.uk

Comment

some dude on another forum reckons he's never been charged tax cos you don't have to pay from hong kong!... think he's just been lucky, but he reckons it's different rules!... just trying to prove it's pot luck!

Comment

Import duty seems to be a lottery, however what winds me up is paying duty and VAT on postage/shipping... how do they work that out... how can you pay duty/tax on that bit twice... insult to injury

Comment

I think you will find a few here who had to cough up for their white gauges.

Trev
              Look out Eastbourne, the Pandas are coming !

Comment

Originally posted by AndyLala
                Import duty seems to be a lottery, however what winds me up is paying duty and VAT on postage/shipping... how do they work that out... how can you pay duty/tax on that bit twice... insult to injury
                The thing that really winds me up is having to pay someone a handling charge so they can charge me duty and VAT. That's really adding insult to injury and usually happens if it's a biggish item being handled by Parcel Farce..
                Roger

My Pointer ate the dog trainer

Comment

I have been imported all sorts from Japan for the past 5 years - mainly car parts, cars, video game items and odds'n'sods. I can say it is pot luck. Not once has one of the invoices been checked properly and it doesnt really seem to matter if its a small box or large box. Although that said the smaller boxes do make it through more often without tax - which is good for high end stuff

Rgds

Ant
                  1996 SSR-G 3.0 TD Intercooler
                  Mazda Rotaries too!

Comment

I think it's a lottery at customs !
                    I bought a pair of goggles last year before I went snowboarding, they were half the price of what they were over here.
                    2 days before we were due to fly out I got a letter saying that they were at customs and I had to send back reciepts and tell them what was in the package before they would send it to me, and that I would be charged vat on it all, including the postage costs from the States !
                    The letter I had was dated 2 weeks before I actually recieved it ! No goggles for my holidays then !
                    They said I had to pay the postie the charges when it arrived, but postie just gave me the package and went, so I didn't say any more and looks like I got away with paying out.

I do know that if the item is sent via a certain courier (fed ex), they will bill everyone who has a package from outside europe for the vat. We had a camera from Singapore and 1 week after it arrived we got a bill sent to us for the vat on it, I forgot about paying it and 2 weeks later they were threatening to take me to court for the money !
                    Money grabbing gits !

Andy.

Comment

all stuff from parcel force, i;ve had to go and pay in person and collect!!... that's 35 miles away in kidlington!

Comment

the misses brought a load of csi dvd's on ebay and they came from japan when the posty delivered them he wanted an extra £15 to cover c&e.I emailed the person who we got them off and he said it has never happened to him b4 but he still offered to 3/4 of the bill so it wasn't too bad in the end
                        https://www.facebook.com/groups/henpals/

Comment

Working...
                        X