i think its broken!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• i think its broken!

hey there, just the latest installment of my french miandering. it was my surfs 3rd french trip this year and all was going splendidly... until my drive back to calais after 2 weeks training holday.
    some of you may recall a water leak problem ive had since i got the car back in April this year.... a water leak that no one could work out where the water was going to or why it kept over heating and wazzing out of the over flow...

well cruising along a french motorway the temperature gauge decided to get a move on, and i pulled over faster than you can say "holy cr@p the cars over heating" by the time i stopped im cruising into the red...
    40 minutes later when the engine is cool enough to top up, it took almost 4 litres of water to top up and i nervously set about the remaining 180kms towards calais. Alas, 10 minutes later the car starts to over heat again and has another flippin great pish from the overflow bottle.

im stranded, on a french motorway with no hard shoulder, facing up hill as dusk is falling and a rapidly depleating water supply to top up with.
    Then a belgian lorry pulled over ( its great being female sometimes), the fellas gave me some water and guided me to the nearest truck stop. then they set about either removing the thermostat or wedging it open with some percussive maintenance. Back on the road cruising along the temperature maintained at its normal place and i made it all the way (via the chunnel) to the M20 before the car started to over heat again. two further stops required more topping up of water before i finally made it back to the croydon stink hole.
    So, ive been back a week and the surf hasnt moved from my driveway. I think its succumbed to the dreaded (inevitable it seems) cracked head problem and im left to work out which part of my body is worth the most to sell so i can afford to get it sorted.
    i think the garage i bought it from still has a duty to take care of it but im not holding my breath. Im sending a letter to them tomorrow.
    in the mean time if anyone can offer advise ( especially how hard is it to replace a head.. surely not that hard for a savvy enthusiast) , sympathy or wants a kidney let me know.

jayne
    she's no angel

Originally posted by Toyney
    hey there, just the latest installment of my french miandering. it was my surfs 3rd french trip this year and all was going splendidly... until my drive back to calais after 2 weeks training holday.
    some of you may recall a water leak problem ive had since i got the car back in April this year.... a water leak that no one could work out where the water was going to or why it kept over heating and wazzing out of the over flow...

well cruising along a french motorway the temperature gauge decided to get a move on, and i pulled over faster than you can say "holy cr@p the cars over heating" by the time i stopped im cruising into the red...
    40 minutes later when the engine is cool enough to top up, it took almost 4 litres of water to top up and i nervously set about the remaining 180kms towards calais. Alas, 10 minutes later the car starts to over heat again and has another flippin great pish from the overflow bottle.

im stranded, on a french motorway with no hard shoulder, facing up hill as dusk is falling and a rapidly depleating water supply to top up with.
    Then a belgian lorry pulled over ( its great being female sometimes), the fellas gave me some water and guided me to the nearest truck stop. then they set about either removing the thermostat or wedging it open with some percussive maintenance. Back on the road cruising along the temperature maintained at its normal place and i made it all the way (via the chunnel) to the M20 before the car started to over heat again. two further stops required more topping up of water before i finally made it back to the croydon stink hole.
    So, ive been back a week and the surf hasnt moved from my driveway. I think its succumbed to the dreaded (inevitable it seems) cracked head problem and im left to work out which part of my body is worth the most to sell so i can afford to get it sorted.
    i think the garage i bought it from still has a duty to take care of it but im not holding my breath. Im sending a letter to them tomorrow.
    in the mean time if anyone can offer advise ( especially how hard is it to replace a head.. surely not that hard for a savvy enthusiast) , sympathy or wants a kidney let me know.

jayne

have a chat with Tonyn or Stevo on here they will sort you
    https://www.facebook.com/groups/henpals/

Comment

Sorry to hear your bad news Jayne, have PM'd Linda and Tony for you - they will do the biz for you.

Trev
      Look out Eastbourne, the Pandas are coming !

Comment

How much for the kidney???????
        Ian

Comment

Originally posted by SURFVIRGIN
          How much for the kidney???????
          Shipping's to much to Spain!

Deffo sounds like the head, probably was all along, just the cracks got bigger and more terminal now.

4x4toys.co.uk - Keeping you on and off the road...

Comment

Originally posted by TonyN
            Shipping's to much to Spain!

Deffo sounds like the head, probably was all along, just the cracks got bigger and more terminal now.

dont worry bout the shipping, i`ll pick it up, they`re all alcoholic out ere so i`ll get a small fortune for it, is it a left or a right?
            Ian

Comment

you can have a left or a right, just not both!
              I suppose the other alternative to find some extra dosh is the town hall steps and white stillettos.
              The annoying part is that I use my car for my second job as a cycle coach which is where i earn my extra cash from to pay for things like this!

the belgian truck driver was actually very nice, I certainly didnt mind the effort it took to talk french with him ;o) if I didnt have a french boyfriend already... well...

if i dont get anywhere with the garage I bought it from Im defo on the look out for help to take the surf up north where I can get a new head fitted more easily.. and much cheaper than in the south.
              she's no angel

Comment

Originally posted by Toyney

if i dont get anywhere with the garage I bought it from Im defo on the look out for help to take the surf up north where I can get a new head fitted more easily.. and much cheaper than in the south.
                Toyney

If you do decide to pay for it yourself contact Tonyn for a quote first. He's really much cheaper than a big commercial garage, and at least you know he knows what he's doing and uses Stevo's modified heads. Just ask on here if you need references...

Linda

www.4x4toys.co.uk

Comment

cheers Linda.
                  I thought all the heads available now ( the new ones that is) were modified so they dont suffer the same problem with cracking? for eg, milners sell heads, would they be modified ones or same as original?
                  Although Id prefer to get one from someone on here if possible, because A) I prefer to support smaller businesses/traders and B) chances are its from someone who actually has more than just a clue about surfs
                  she's no angel

Comment

Toyney
                    STEVO supplies the heads to TONY & yes they are the modified ones.
                    The cheaper ones are either re-con or of the original design Tony will do the job for you at a very Competative price and your SURF will go on for ever.
                    (\__/)
                    (='.'=) SQUIRREL MUNCHER GRRRRRRR
                    (")_(")

Comment

Originally posted by marky
                      Toyney
                      STEVO supplies the heads to TONY & yes they are the modified ones.
                      The cheaper ones are either re-con or of the original design Tony will do the job for you at a very Competative price and your SURF will go on for ever.
                      can anyone confirm or otherwise if the Roughtrax heads are Stevo's I have fitted one to my 3.0L before I knew about this place so I hope.......
                      Tony
                      Did I mention I have a BLUE one
                      Tony

Comment

Working...
                      X