Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Surf safety questions

Hi all,

I looking to buy a hi-lux surf and am wondering if anybody can tell me the following:

Does the surf have side impact bars? If so, what model year are they first fitted??

Does the surf have isofix child seat fasteners? If it does, what model year are they first fitted??

Many thanks, as you can tell safety is my top priority.

(please don't flame me, I'm planning on having some fun off-road as well, I just have to justify buying one!)

Originally posted by Tripmann
    Hi all,

(please don't flame me, I'm planning on having some fun off-road as well, I just have to justify buying one!)
    Hey we're nice guys!! noone gets flamed for sensible questions. Dont have any answers for you as I dont think these questions have come up before, but if you want general info on how well the surf survives a crash have a look for Fieldsy's posts from last year when someone drove into his!!!

Linda

www.4x4toys.co.uk

Comment

Welcome to the Forum- I have no concrete answers either but the later models are better for passenger safety (Mk3 or 1996 on).

Comment

With the surf being quite high I always figured most side impacts would hit the side steps and the side of the floor so I'm not sure side impact bars in the doors are as necessary, Surfs are pretty strong so safety wise I think air bags would be the most important (car doesn't crumple as much so more decelleration on the passengers) which come in the 3rd gens (96ish on).
        Darren
        Last edited by Darren; 12 September 2005, 14:44.

Comment

Ta for the info guys. Does anybody with a mk3 know about the isofix child seat fixings for the rear seats??

Comment

I'm fairly sure my 1996 3rd gen has side impact beams, but doesn't have the isofix child seat fixings. Someone on here may well correct me but I think the isofix system did not come into being untill around 2001, and I think it may well be one of the euro ncap specs for new cars, and so is a European situation.

Don't know if the rest of the world has the same safety standards, but as most surfs curranly about seem to be pre millenium and Japanese/asian in origin I would not imagine any having these fixing devices for the child seats.

Hope this helps, you'll probably find the surf is a pretty rugged and safe vehicle, and it does have airbags for both driver and passenger. I went from a 2003 Megane to my surf and feel far safer in it, probably due to the size, even though the Megane had umpteen safety features!

Comment

Wouldn't know an isofix if I saw one, but the 3rd Gens have plenty on the safety front, twin airbags, seat belt tensioners, door bars, ABS etc.
              Any gen Surf is a pretty safe vehicle to be in, as they are very well constructed, and as commented above, a few members here who have been unfortunate enough to have accidents have all been thankful for the strength of the vehicle, and walked away relatively unscathed.
              Maurice
              Hilux Surf FAQ at www.hiluxsurf.eu

Comment

Cheers again. You're probably right about the isofix.

I take it you can mount decent childseats securely?

Comment

The handbook says that there are anchorage points for child restraints under the carpet in the boot (2nd gen)

Comment

Had child seats in the back & front of mine, fixed very securely. You just need to make sure the rear belts are three point and not lap belts.
                    Say not always what you know, but always know what you say.

My 4x4
                    My choice
                    Back off

Comment

Can't thank you enough everyone! Looks like the mk3 then. Look forward to posting with you guys and hopefully making a useful contribution back once I'm clued up properly....

Tripmann

Comment

Working...
                      X