No announcement yet.

Towing - Too much sag?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

So is it the "Rear Coil Springs (Pair) 20% Stronger" that we need, or should we be looking at doing the shocks as well?

Thanks

PS. Lovin' the avatar jaky cakes
    [IMG]http://www.slate8.com/hiluxstuff/hilux-sig.gif[/IMG]

Comment

I think most people who bought the springs are still using their standard shocks.
      But if you want to replace them, I can highly recomend Procomp explorers E3000 shocks, £35 each + £6 for your choice of boots.
      I have them fitted, but I have Landcruiser HD80 springs, nice and firm with a 3" lift. Went camping recently, tent, all the gear and two 5 stone Dobermans in the back, and from the outside you couln't tell, no sag at all.
      Well chuffed!

http://www.explorerprocomp.co.uk/aca...ksDampers.html

Comment

Originally posted by Slate8
        So is it the "Rear Coil Springs (Pair) 20% Stronger" that we need, or should we be looking at doing the shocks as well?

Thanks

PS. Lovin' the avatar jaky cakes
        I use standard shocks set on hard when towing
        Parts of your engine go up, stop then go back! Mm!

Comment

new springs...

Well at last got round to ordering some new uprated springs (20%).
          they arrived yesterday morning and I've just finished fitting them myself ..I know to most of you ,this may not seem like a diffcult task - but i some times need instructions for my hammer!!!
          The springs, although not raised just stiffer, have given me a rather satisfying 1.75" lift over old springs when fuel tank full!
          old arch to centre height 19.25" with full tank - now 21" ish.
          But weirder still - the old springs have one coil more and are 2"-3" longer than the new ones- see pic. old - black...new a rather manly baby blue!!!
          Only one slight concern - when fitting springs, I noticed one was slighlty taller than the other and thought i'd fit the taller one to the side with the fuel tank thinking the extra weight on that side (fuel tank-not fat 15stone driver!!) would help settle it. only it hasn't - fuel tank side sitting higher slightly but noticeably. I've checked that bottom of each spring is correctly seated. Any ideas??
          So now I have the height bug - and am thinking of making some lift spacers to raise another inch or so.
          I should have measured the spring top mounting bush for dimensions to make spacers - but forgot -does anybody know the distance between the spring ID and the mounting spiggot OD ?? or has anybody got a set of spacers they want to sell or kindly measure for me?
          Attached Files
          Last edited by jaky cakes; 22 October 2005, 17:03.
          Everyone thinks I'm paranoid!!

Comment

Originally posted by BUSHWHACKER
            I think the Surf will tow more than that, as long as the trailer is braked.
            Give 'Dirty dog a shout, he will know.
            anything over 750kgs gross must be braked and I think Surfs can pull 1800kgs. Your pushing it anyway with a 2.4 on that weight.

I know the 3.0 are more powerful but 4300kgs! You want a LandCruiser mate

@ Wheelrepearit: By the way I stop quicker with a heavy braked trailer on - sure you dont want me to check your braking system!!!
            Tim
            Break It,Fix It,Repeat,Break It,Fix It,Repeat

Comment

Working...
            X