Surf to Surf!!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Surf to Surf!!

I've just recently got back from a French Surf Trip, (16th August-28th August '05). I drove from Aberdeen to Portsmouth, Ferry to Le Havre, drive to Lacanau, then on to Hossegor (just North of Biarritz) - returned via Lacanau, Sable d'lonnes, Le Havre, Godalming, Edinburgh, then home - all in all 3100 miles - WITHOUT A ****** PROBLEM!! (unless you call the Interior Light Bulb Blowing a problem!!) I used a 50/50 Veg Split all the way (except when getting on/off the Ferry!! - obvious reasons!). The myth about cheap Diesel in France is rapidly disappearing - it was averageing 1.15 Euros a Litre (about 86p) - I guess when a Barrel goes up... However, it can be found at the Supermarkets, (L'eclerc, mousquetaires etc), for 1.05 Euros a Litre (79p). Veg Oil, on the other hand, is more expensive than here - at Lidl over there, the same oil that is 43p at Lidl here, is 0.79 Euros a Litre (about 59p!!). An Old French Lady must have thought I was another insane Englishman when she came across me pouring 32 Ltrs of h'uille Vegetale into my Surf!! If anyone is thinking of buying a SatNav, then I wholeheartedly recommend the Pioneer AVIC-X1R - a bit pricey, I know, but well worth it (certainly helps when you don't have to keep on stopping to look at a paper map everytime you come to an Intersection/roundabout). The DVD Player is particularly good when you sleep in the Back, (purpose built Cargo Box!!), at the Service Stations and you need some light entertainment (Surf Movies!). A Tip if going by Ferry - at the Ferry Terminal they tell you that now it's mandatory to carry a Spare set of Bulbs/Fuses, Warning Triangle, Fire Extinguisher, etc, when driving in France - this may be true, (who really knows 'til you get stopped!), however, for God's sake DO NOT buy the ones at the Terminal, 'cos they sell the same one's onboard the Ferry at half the price in the Duty Free Shop!!
    Attached Files
    Better to be in Cumulonimbus than Cumulogranite

Looks like a great trip .

Comment

I will master standing on a surf board before I die!

kitesurf_phil aged 47 3/4.
      It's only a hobby!

Comment

Originally posted by kitesurf_phil
        I will master standing on a surf board before I die!

kitesurf_phil aged 47 3/4.

Its easy really I did it in Bridlington about 10 years ago. I managed to stand up first go. Mind you it would probably have been a bit harder if I had tried it on the water instead of the beach.

Comment

You Have To Go To Luxinburg To Get Cheep Derv No Good If Your Going Deep South Sud
          S S R G is the only way to surf

scottish mud club member kerelawsurf

Comment

50/50 oil and diesel split?
            have you done any modifications to your filter, fuel line or pump or anything at all?
            if i can do a 50/50 split with my standard surf ill go and buy a load today.
            nice surf and surfing
            Oh Nana, what's my name?

Comment

Mine will run ok on 90% veg oil, at 100% it was rather lumpy for the first 5 mins. 40l veg to 20l of diesel seems to be a good mix, mine is totally standard.

Comment

if your pulled and dipped would they have anything bad to say?
                im skint,
                what lidl oil do you use - this might help me out
                is yours a 2.4?
                Oh Nana, what's my name?

Comment

If you get pulled and dipped, and you've not registered, then I you'll be in trouble, not sure what the punishment is though. Mine is a 3.0l, but I don't think it matters, veg oil in Makro is £9.78/20l I think at the mo.

Comment

Originally posted by davidwilson666
                    If you get pulled and dipped, and you've not registered, then I you'll be in trouble, not sure what the punishment is though. Mine is a 3.0l, but I don't think it matters, veg oil in Makro is £9.78/20l I think at the mo.
                    ill give this a go this weekend. ill try a 20% mix first and see how it goes.

price aside, what mpg do you get? does the higher viscocity alter the octane rating in a good way?
                    Oh Nana, what's my name?

Comment

Just do half a tank full.. then if your baby doesn like it you can fill up with diesel..
                      -=I swear to drunk I'm not god=-

Comment

If you are stopped and dipped, and found to be using veg oil when not registered to do so, they can/will impound your vehicle and take you to court and give you a heavey fine, possibly several thousand pounds.

These are the customs and excise you know.

Get registered, its free.
                        Rob

Still working for the man!

Comment

Originally posted by plumb bob
                          If you are stopped and dipped, and found to be using veg oil when not registered to do so, they can/will impound your vehicle and take you to court and give you a heavey fine, possibly several thousand pounds.

These are the customs and excise you know.

Get registered, its free.
                          how?
                          and do i have to pay extra on it?
                          Oh Nana, what's my name?

Comment

Working...
                          X